Were you a bicycle person before you got into E-bikes??

How much were you into bicycles when you got into E-bikes?

• I was not really into bicycles before my E-bike

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Most of my life, I owned a bicycle at various times, but I only rode it occasionally

Votes: 39 31.7%
  • I've frequently been into bicycles, and thought I'd add an E-bike to my choices.

Votes: 67 54.5%

• Total voters

spinningmagnets

Staff member
I have a theory based on a much too small of an observation sample group. People who are really into bicycles that I have met have been very resistant to E-bikes (so far). And it appears that many of them feel an E-bike blurs the line between pedal bicycles (the good people), and car drivers (the "addicted to oil" evil/stupid/oblivious people).

I've seen more non-bicycle people converted to E-bikes, so far.

You have one vote per member, but you can change your vote if you realize another answer is actually more accurate. Try to pick which one is most like you.

I had to pick the last option, but it doesn't really match my reality; it's worded strangely.

It'd reset your poll if you add it, but another option you might want is "bicycles are my life, have always (or nearly always) been my primary or only transportation" Or something like that.

Bicycles have been my main transportation, including cargo hauling, commuting, etc. Been riding them since i was a kid (lots of gravel scars...).

In my late 30's, when my knees (and other bits) stopped working well enough to do what I really needed to do, and my body started reacting less well to the heat, I started working on the stuff in my http://electricle.blogspot.com project blog, whcih kinda took a while to come up with something that would actually *move* a bicycle with me on it, even just as a helper. :)

But I've gone thru a few "regular" bicycles before I started all that. Mostly by wearing them out or breaking them and not knowing how to fix them (or being able to afford to get someone else to), cuz I knew basically nothing (past fixing a flat) about bicycles, except which end pointed forwards, and where your feet and hands go. :lol: :oops: I had to change that when i started the electrimotorification projects, cuz I had to use a lot of used bikes and parts to work stuff out, and eventually to build my own (much more comfortable than regular) bike: CrazyBike2.

Still learning that stuff...mostly the hard way. :oops:

(I'm not really a car person...never had a license, never needed one so far. Drove stuff in farm coutnry as a kid, from cars to trucks to harvesters, was fun then, but wasn't an everyday thing, just a "hey, let's see what he can break" kinda thing others wanted to put me thru, I think).

The only cars I ever owned were never even driven by me; one was bought to rebuild it when I was in late highschool/early college, but then Mom's car died and so it was more practical to just have her use that one instead...and I never did anything further with it besides fix some things on it as they broke. Then the other was given to me by a friend who'd had it sitting in their driveway for years, and it then sat in mine for years more, as I first tried to fix it but then gave up on it and then harvested off all the parts I could manage before scrapping it out. I am still using headlights and bolts and misc pieces off of it on my bikes. :) ).

I've gone through phases
I found the times when I didn't own a car, I was pretty darn happy on my old bike. When I did have a car, I got lazy and rarely ever used the bike for anything...I had the same bike from about 16yo-30yo, lol.

I've always liked biking and motos, but I've never been heavily into 'bikes' until ebikes. It wasn't until I started looking for e-kits that I started to really read up on quality parts and how to service properly. (now I've looked through kijiji bikes everyday for about a year and a half oggling frames that I have plans for in my head but can't afford)

I was never (still not really) into the scooter style ebikes and didn't even really know there were conversion kits for bicycles until I saw bzhwindtalker's LMX1. The LMX first set off the lightbulb in my head as to what an ebike could be.

Now after a few years I enjoy all things ebike, all things ev, all things oil-alternative. I'm still in love with high power but I have a better understanding and appreciation for scooters, minimalist and low power kits like friction-drives.

Money is the only thing holding me back from building a fleet of purpose-built bikes for whatever need I have.

I'm in a predicament now where my ex moved out of town with my boy and though I tried to swear off gas stations (successfully for last 3 years) I might have to reinvest in a stinker :(

I have to say I straddle the bottom 2. If not for leg trouble I'd probably have gone on living on the seat of a bike. I drifted toward motorcycles and mopeds mainly because of others I knew and because I found one to fix become available from time to time. An electric seemed easier to carry in the car than gas would be.

Hmmm interesting. So kinda bikes vs ebikes in a way.

I've had bikes since I could ride em. Even before I could steer or stop. That turned out badly, when plowing into the back of a parked car I somehow couldn't avoid. Ever since, we were the kids with bikes, then bmx, and then mountain bikes.

Alongside that, ever since I could afford a powered bike, I've had one. The first 2.5hp minibike and so-on up thru the levels of dirtbikes and sportbikes. Nothing extremely expensive- I know it sounds expensive, but most of the time I at least come close to break-even.

An ebike was kinda natural once I realized the potential. Still would rather ride a motorcycle on the road if I'm gonna travel over 35mph (and up to 'way fast'), and prefer two wheels to auto anytime the weather is agreeable.

As far as pedals, I think ebikes will always detract a bit from the pureness of the bike experience. Because of a diminished direct connection with you and natural gravity.
I love my ebike, but will miss a good xc bike until I get one back.

Point is, electric has the great potential to make the whole new breed most of us utilize in one way or the other. But yes, on the converse of helping people get out that weren't able etc, something can be lost in the connection with simplicity.

A 100 years ago I'm sure some 'jackass' said the same thing about pedal bikes vs walking, so don't mind me :lol:

I always rode bikes, but never "collected" them, they were just a better way to get around than cars (don't kill the planet, and funner to drive).
E-bikes used to be slower than I could pedal, so I used to smirk as I passed them. But I got old and slow and tired, and ebikes got faster.

"I've frequently been into bicycles, and thought I'd add an E-bike to my choices." :

While I am addicted to bicycles and have been involved in cycling school for ages, I came to e-bike along an exotic path :
1st EV was a stand up e-scooter => 2nd was my e-board => 3rd (only) e-bike.
reasoning was, at that time, with the birth of my twins, to replace my motorbikes with a more alternative transport ...and eventually cheaper/safer one and be more like a "responsible father" ...but it ended up a bit differently since I struggle to stay "reasonnable" with everything having (never-enought) "watts" :twisted:

I sold my only 2 bikes and convinced my wife to sell hers so I could afford my first E-Bike...my Stealth Fighter. They weren't bad bikes either...one was a 2010 Felt F5 Team full carbon weighing only 7.9Kg and the other a Hard tail Norco BigFoot.

I've since re-acquired normal bikes, but am only willing to spend the bare minimum on them now as all my bike money goes towards the E-Bike hobby. In fact my only current normal bikes were freebies I rescued from going to the tip (trash).

Cheers

Been biking on and off all my life. Did quite a lot of cycle commuting up until about 15 yrs ago, but a move to my current city made the logistics of commuting very challenging. Have just finished up a BBS02 750W conversion on a kijiji hardtail mountain bike and have been bitten by the ebike bug. With the increased range that an ebike allows, I am hoping to get back into commuting again in the spring once our deep freeze winter is over.

I am full blown bike addict (this is where you all welcome me into the support group :lol: ). Two dresser draws full and a closet half full of lycra while a bunch of it hang drying where ever I can find room. Mostly road and cross (for fitness) and mtn biking (social ,fun). Fatty coming soon hopefully/ studded for winter ice/snow trail riding. Well passed the +3 mark (wife gave up awhile back) and now with grand kids getting to hand me down stages, the flood gates are wide open. :shock:

Love most all types and love the development / learning part of ebikes as well as riding them. All types and power levels. Great journey and a fantastic support group to be part of. One of the few things that brings me hope for the future on a daily basis.

Interesting question. I grew up riding bikes. living on a farm, it was really my only form or transportation till I was old enough for a drivers lic. I am also into motorcycles and snowmobiles and have not rode bicycles much in the past 30yrs. But being quite an outdoors type of person, as well as the fact I am an avid geocacher, and want to be able to get into the river valley trails without giving myself a heart attack on the way out. Ya I fully admit I am not in the shape I was in 25 or 30 years ago, and hope this helps get the wife, dogs, and I out for more adventure :)

You dont have an option for those of us into motorcycles, and look at e-bikes as lightweight motorcycles...

I dont know if I am a bicycle person or not. I loved my bike as a kid... but when I was 18 I bought a motorcycle.... but when I didnt have a motorcycle, I rode a bicycle...
I like bicycles, but they are not my life.. I mean, I laugh at anyone that takes it too seriously. I have good quads from riding as a kid, motorcycles, etc... so its funny when you just keep up with "serious" bicycle people, on a non-serious bike... and I dont even mean e-bikes yet.

I like ebikes because I get all the freedom of bicycles... so they're better around town. but I dont have to pedal.

I've regressed. :)

Well, there was that whole awkward age of riding around in gasoline-powered "car" thingees, but my first "bike" was actually a three-wheeler "tricycle". A "sit up". Now back to rediscovering the pleasures of trike stuff like not needing a kick-stand (or somewhere to lock up to). In theory my weight on each tire has gone from about 50% to about 1/3rd.

For fun? Try "chain-free" too. And lacking any gearing.

Anyway... Among vehicles have also most of my life been a "boat person" and only got my first bettery-electric traction two-wheeler to re-educate myself about batteries and electric motors, chargers and controllers, etc.

For boats.

So I guess I was a part-time "bike" person before finally becoming a full time E-bike Addict. Now more correctly a E-trike Addict. The worst kind, with a big reclining comfy chair and drink holders.

Die hard cyclist.
My Dad was a motocross racer in the 70s, and built bikes from scratch for shows.
I had a BMX bike, and thought I was awesome, tried to do jumps and wheelies just like my Dad.
Around 1985 I bought one of the first Specialized HardRock bikes for $350...been a hardcore MTBr ever since.

I have not driven a car in around 20 years, only drove for a year...always been a commuter.
I always poke fun at the people who burn their Dead Dinosaurs and get fatter while honking at me.
Meanwhile, I get healthier, and get stronger with every mile.
I tend to be very obsessive about riding...I ride nearly every day...always training and perfecting skills.
This is really hard on my body, especially my joints...it would be much smarter to take a day off to rest.
E-bikes to me are a way I can still go for rides, but go easy on my joints between pedaled rides.
(and have so much fun too)
[youtube]RXlrPMA1Lto[/youtube]

[youtube]o3StvloSL4c[/youtube]

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:44 pm
eSurfer said:
eBike lover and owner since Feb 1 this year. About a week.
Pretty short week. ;)

r3volved said:
I'm becoming an super ejunkie...if it moves under manual power, I want to electrify it :p
I've been there for years.... :lol:

1973 Schwinn Paramount, swore I'd never own a cage. Saw bicycles as a solution for dwindling resources. Wished I live in Amsterdam, where bicyclists didn't wear costumes cuz everyone rode.

Leebolectric said:
Die hard cyclist.
My Dad was a motocross racer in the 70s, and built bikes from scratch for shows.
I had a BMX bike, and thought I was awesome, tried to do jumps and wheelies just like my Dad.
Around 1985 I bought one of the first Specialized HardRock bikes for $350...been a hardcore MTBr ever since.

I have not driven a car in around 20 years, only drove for a year...always been a commuter.
I always poke fun at the people who burn their Dead Dinosaurs and get fatter while honking at me.
Meanwhile, I get healthier, and get stronger with every mile.
I tend to be very obsessive about riding...I ride nearly every day...always training and perfecting skills.
This is really hard on my body, especially my joints...it would be much smarter to take a day off to rest.
E-bikes to me are a way I can still go for rides, but go easy on my joints between pedaled rides.
(and have so much fun too)

Nice vids. Those are some freaking beautiful rides. Thanks for sharing.

Just riding bikes until 16 jear old then a moped ,little tuning .
Then at 20 getting my car license and just ride a bike to the pub .
Now at 42 jears old after getting some free battery,s i have made 3 bike,s electric.
Mostly riding my grocery e bike .
It gets me out of my car in to the fresh air .

#3 for me. I was happy for a long time using a bicycle as my main transportation, even doing 10+ mile commutes. Then I got into the beat down blue collar lifestyle, and acquired a motorcycle to make it easier. Gradually worked my way up in the world, but kept the motorcycle alongside the bicycle for a while, a hedge against bad weather and distance.

Back in my hometown, I found I wasn't riding the moto often enough to keep it running, so I gave it away. By then I'd already built and de-electrified my first e-bike, and eventually I built another one. And another.

I never stopped using the pedal bikes as my first and last resort, but e-bikes became a diversion. The only one I have running at the moment is a pusher trailer. At any moment, I'm likely to build up another one. I have a few e-bikes worth of parts around for the job.

I voted #2, I been in and out of bikes but always found my self getting too tired etc.
When I used to ride into work I would find my self feeling like its 9pm at night when its 5pm at the end of the day.. I started leaving to go home more early then when most of the folks were still in the office. This new bike routine backfired on me as my manager bit my head off for going home early.

The ebike solved this problem as I could get into work more easily without feeling completely buggered at the end of the day.

I was a bike-A-Holic since the bike boom in the early 1970s. Prom early Peugeot's and Merciers, a custom Nishiki criterium and my ultimate a custom made to fit me Medici Gran Tourismo. I think that one cost more than my car. Was one of those 6k-7k miles a year through my 30's. Slowed down once I had a family but commuted year round in Colorado with my wife's only rule that if it was zero or less I couldn't ride. Was a fun time. Life catches up though, now 62 and Dr says no bike for now so I discovered scooters. Love it and back out on 2 wheels!!

I've ridden pretty consistently for going on 30 years and while I originally switched to an ebike for a long out of town ride to see someone I was dating, turned out to be too dangerous riding winding narrow back roads, asphalt missing in places, etc. But then I started riding it in town and I love it. It's like a dream of my earlier days when I'd have to struggle against the wind, or just tired of the monotony of pedaling, to have a bicycle move without having to pedal if you don't feel like it is great. I recently realized how spoiled I've gotten when because of a loose magnet my battery went dead prematurely and I had to pedal home, with the added weight on top of it. Probably not as good for me health wise, but I do enjoy the luxury of it.
Update: since the ebike's magnet has put it out of service for the time being I've been using my road bike and think except for days when it's super windy I prefer pedaling over the electric; get the right road bike and the ride is sweet.

Back