10S custom skate ESC: testers wanted!

You don't even need 12 fets - just optimize the layout for heat dissipation.
At the moment the opposing fets heat each other.
Also optimize the design so you can use heatsinks or screw the whole controller to some metal.

The irfs3006 fets can do 240A!

The current drv chip couldn't do 12 fet but it would have to increase the switching frequency this would make the whole thing be less efficient and foc probably wouldn't work.

exco said:
You don't even need 12 fets - just optimize the layout for heat dissipation.
At the moment the opposing fets heat each other.
Also optimize the design so you can use heatsinks or screw the whole controller to some metal.

The irfs3006 fets can do 240A!

Do you know how much the controller can do continuously with good cooling?

What one FET can do is entirely up to the thermal resistance and switching losses, but I don't know how much the switching losses add up to.
Real world experience is good enough for me, but the data should show some continuous load/power

Ratking said:
With the Design as it is I would guess somewhere around 60+A.

Ratking said:
What one FET can do is entirely up to the thermal resistance and switching losses, but I don't know how much the switching losses add up to.
Real world experience is good enough for me, but the data should show some continuous load/power

Time to get your hands dirty. Take a thermal camera and go for it.

exco said:
Ratking said:
With the Design as it is I would guess somewhere around 60+A.

Ratking said:

Time to get your hands dirty. Take a thermal camera and go for it.

Thanks, I would love to do detailed testing so others also could get objective data on this and other controllers. Unfortunate, money is always an issue, but I really want to test this controller.

Guys since the VESC has been able to run FOC as well as BLDC, I've been wonderng : can we switch between FOC mode and BLDC mode on-the-go during a ride? It would be HUGE if this was possible without needing to do anything like switching off the board or pluging it to computer.

Let me explain : among the FOC testers, many have had weird issues with power during high load, some were solved by optimizing cooling on the FETs. This is because the VESC is working harder to accomodate the motor when in FOC right?

Since BLDC and FOC have their own benefits, I guess being able to switch between both modes on-the-go would make for an all-terrain ESC. Actually an automatic switching mode based on FET temperature might be even better.

Example : you ride on flat, you can just enjoy the silent cruiser under your feet. But now if you're triggering lot of power out of the board to climb a hill for example, and FETs start to get hot, then switch to BLDC before acceleration gets cut due to temperature safety, and when you fall back on lower power levels, switch back to FOC mode too?

I don't even know if this is a possible feature so please don't hit hard if I talked about the impossible. What do you think? :D

exco said:
tho whom it may concern ;)

howto connect an el cheapo bluetooth-serial module (e.g. HC-06)
Connect a usb-serial to the bluetooth module (5v, gnd, rx<->tx, tx<->rx)

AT commands to setup baud rate, name, pin.

When there's no active bluetooth connection the HC-06 defaults to "AT" mode and you can set it up to your needs.

You can test the bt-serial connection e.g. if you have a built-in bt module in your pc.

Check if there's /dev/rfcomm after establishing a bt connection to the module.
If not you need to setup the bluetooth-serial connection e.g. in ubuntu like this:
Code:
hcitool scan
#comment ^^ get the mac (e.g. 00:12:06:DE:E1:B3)
sudo rfcomm connect /dev/rfcomm0 <mac>
#comment try the connection:
#comment console 1: bluetooth serial (built in bluetooth module)
sudo minicom –device /dev/rfcomm0 –baudrate 9600
#comment console 2: usb serial connected to hc-06 module
sudo minicom -device /dev/ttyUSB0 -baudrate 9600
#comment if you add your user to dialout group you don't need root permissions ;-)

#comment ^^ type some stuff  (should display in both minicom sessions)

So after setting up the module connect the bluetooth module to the VESC P3 connector. P3: [5V, not4us , gnd, not4us, tx, rx]

I setup the HC-06 with 9600 baud - so you need to set the UART baud rate for the VESC UART to 9600 and
additionally you need to change the baud rate for bldc-tool in mainwindow.cpp in bldc-tool line 1799 to
Code:
     mSerialPort->setBaudRate(QSerialPort::Baud9600);
and recompile with "make -j4" (or however many cores you have to speed up things).

Afterwards you can connect to your VESC with bldc-tool through e.g. /dev/rfcomm0

bldc-tool connected through bluetooth
IMG_20151117_224648.jpg

vedder controller with hc-06 bluetooth module
IMG_20151117_224645.jpg

^^ feel free to use this as a starting point putting it in the VESC FAQ
or a proper wiki (hint hint @vedder)

Now it would really be awesome to be able to connect to the VESC with jacobbloy's android app (thread here).

of course the hc-06 is a shitty module - but that's what I had at hand.

Just to make the info available to others:
jacobbloy said:
How you connected your vesc to a hc-6 module, have you tried to use a hm-10, I know the hard part it connection to Linux and OS X and Windows, or at least giving them a serial port.

In addition to the above:

The HM-10 will work exactly the same.

What you can do - if you don't want to fiddle with the OSX, Linux, Windows integrated bluetooth drivers is this setup:
(trying to draw with words)

USB Serial (e.g. el cheapo) <-> HM-10 (likewise HC-6, HM-11, ...) <-> HM-10 <-> VESC

That way you have a standard Serial port on your machine and don't need to fiddle with bluetooth problematics.
The HM-10 <-> HM-10 bridge has to be configured first (one master, one slave, bluetooth name, baud rate, ...)
which will take you some time, once.

Hello,

I have a problem with two 4.8 VESCs. Both of them were succesfully programmed using Mr Vedders Tutorial and they also connect to the BLDC Tool, tested on Linux and Windows, but they don't detect or run any motors.
The diode D5 and capacitor C18 smoke/get very hot when connected to a power source. The blue and green LEDs flash and the red one is blinking (btw could someone please tell me what they are indicating?).
Has anyone had similar problems and knows what the failure is and how to fix it?
I have read about problems with the groundpad soldering of the DVR, is there a way to check if it is soldered correctly? I bought it preassembled by a pcb company in Bulgaria so it should be fine acutally.
If someone might know a solution and is willed to try it and share it with me, I would send him one of this VESCs for free (in Europe).

I watched your video and it's something I would want on my phone if only my phone could be used as a remote using the volume buttons. Can u make the phone's volume buttons work as the throttle and brake?

Can this allow u to transmit esc changes wirelessly?! That would be awesome...but I still want the the volume buttons for brake and throttle at least. Really I want a trigger on my phone.. !! Make it plug in!
Then I'll send u more money.

The app will have support for a method of controlling your board board I think volume button would need to need more like cruise control, hold for progressive ramping let go to continue at that speed then volume down for brake.
in the setting menu I can already set a erpm and the motor will spin at the speed but I think you take off will be harsh.

awesome! I am doing lots of test/prototyping on li ion, li po, hub/drive systems and I would love to get something that will enable me to get some live recording with VESC. I just don't capture max amp peak or stuff like that. I could log with my PC connected to my USB connector but I can't ride the laptop opened.

okp said:
awesome! I am doing lots of test/prototyping on li ion, li po, hub/drive systems and I would love to get something that will enable me to get some live recording with VESC. I just don't capture max amp peak or stuff like that. I could log with my PC connected to my USB connector but I can't ride the laptop opened.

what phone do you currently use?

maybe if i can get blue working asp ill just compile a realtime data app.
do you need any extra fields in the real time data I'm looking to add temp.

hey jacob - thanks a lot for the support on this!

iPhone IOS

I am looking at the following key indicators:
- voltage
- max peak amp
- draw amps
- charged amps
- mosfet temperature

this is what I usually look at; what would be awesome is a recording function on the App, to allow like a short period of time recording of data

you can get iPhone screen recording apps so i don't think that is a big deal. the hard part is currently bluetooth low energy.

Can't do wired to your iPhone as iPhone doesn't support the serial port protocol.

Best thing to do would be to use an hc-05 Bluetooth module to a very cheap 8inch Windows 10 tablet for now!

artteth said:
hi
can somebody say where to buy cheapest vesc(i have only 110$)
thanks

depending where you live, you should go with enertion or ollieboards

but enertion are out of stock and ollieboards are in preorder most of the time

exco said:
sraff said:
hi, IRFS7530 is out of stock, what do you recommend? thanks

different supplier? octopart

Looks like you are not getting it through octopart in the US for less than $5 a piece. Digikey and every other place that I have found that will sell it to you in low quantities is also out of stock. Any other options?

I cannot believe how this ESC have exploded in the e-skateboard community. It all started 2,5 years ago when I have had a few beers and wanted to do something fun for my bachelors thesis...
Benjamin was really kind and helped us making his BLDC-driver get suited for the needs we had during the project and it performed well most of the time. Quite a lot och breakdowns and late nights when Benjamin put a lot of sweat and tears into it. Even the professors where impressed since it was legal as a bicycle here in Sweden despite no limit on power.

For some strange reason someone wanted to make segways legal in Sweden as bicycles, so they made a law stating no power limit, no pedals, max velocity of 20 km/h to become a bicycle. Unfortunately that changed 1 januari so now the vehicle must be actively self-balancing to have unlimited power. So now we are stuck with 250 Watts aswell. :(
But I am working on it and the government have made some strange mistakes during the writing of the law and misread EU-rules, so I have filed official questions and have started to contact politicians that seems very interested. Manly because the possibilities of combining public transport and the then large environmental gain. I have a upcoming meeting the coming weeks where I will display my old prototype with Benjamins old BLDC-drivers (the first ever longboard with the VESC). If everything goes well we perhaps can make the old Swedish rules be valid in the hole EU in a few years time!

Keep up the good work with your boards and support Benjamin, you have no idea how many hours he have spend on the VESC starting like 4 years ago (well before my thesis atleast).

Hi guys I need names via privet msg, for interest in testing and debugging my iOS and android app, basically every thing is working with the HM-10 chip via uart to the vesc, and I have also added ble to bldc tool and this will be added very soon.

I don't want to wast time with ppl with no expireance debugging or that just want first inline to use the app.

I have spent a lot of hours on this and it only a few weeks away from being submitted to app stores.

Function:
•real time data
•read motor and application configuration
•writing new configurations
•forwarding motor configurations to the second vesc so no need to program a second vesc.
•control implemented into the nunchuk application

Back