AT-One electric inline skates (quick update Dec 2020)

thats really crazy. my build is with only 70-90Whr I can't see how you could fit that much.

the problem is just the weight of that much battery.

Well I got lot of constraints to fight to make it possible but I also have more space available than you : the space in your frames is eaten by the wheels and the motor, which limits place for ESC, transmitter and batteries.

But you have the advantage of lower CG for all the weight of your inlines :) I needed to clear space in frames so I put weight in flat pressed right under the foot, a bit higher CG but it remains a natural weight répartition so not bad either.

Quick updates : I couldn't get enough budget for 2 skates but I ordered batteries and BMS for 1 skate! It will run 10S4Ah with max 70A of current, not that I will feed this much to the motor (or maybe I should?)

More interesting update : flat frame is ready to be printed :twisted: :twisted: I made the shortest possible frame to accomodate 4x 110mm or 3x 125mm wheels! And still compatible with both hub motor and non motorised :mrgreen: This one should fear nothing against models like the Wizard frame!

Vanarian said:
Quick updates : I couldn't get enough budget for 2 skates but I ordered batteries and BMS for 1 skate! It will run 10S4Ah with max 70A of current, not that I will feed this much to the motor (or maybe I should?)

I finally got my board out for a ride, set the current limit to 40A (on 12s) on vesc, motor still heats up a bit but not a problem yet.
trying to go up a mediumish hill the motor struggled and a bit of smell for really one second. probably wouldn't turn out well with 50% more power. :twisted:

saul said:
I finally got my board out for a ride, set the current limit to 40A (on 12s) on vesc, motor still heats up a bit but not a problem yet.
trying to go up a mediumish hill the motor struggled and a bit of smell for really one second. probably wouldn't turn out well with 50% more power. :twisted:

Thank you for the feedback :wink: 12S40A is around 2.000W peak, I envisaged that's around the motor's limit before saturation and burning copper. If you have time please post another video !

I really need to try hills too without reduction, since it spins slowly I don't know yet if 1:1 drive will help it gain momentum or kill it. In the case one motor is not enough, I will surely try with the second one (I chose this tiny size thinking 2WD minimum for my build) and if that's no good in the end, I'll gun for the bigger brother rated for 2800W!

Also planning to test ferrofluid inside it, it works well with big sizes so hope it will help kill heat greatly too.

Since you'll have two motors I think you'll be ok! but hill might be a problem since your direct drive with bigger wheels then i have...

So far I was able to ride about 5 miles total, I have to kick start and then hit the throttle when i moving at walking pace. I think if it were dual drive I could take off and handle most hills.

I got some video but it was really dark and I didn't do a good job at pointing at the board..I try to post some more on my thread when i get out again.

grindz145 said:
I can't wait to power-backslide ... that's all I have to say :)

I want to see this, will be cool!

saul said:
Since you'll have two motors I think you'll be ok! but hill might be a problem since your direct drive with bigger wheels then i have...

So far I was able to ride about 5 miles total, I have to kick start and then hit the throttle when i moving at walking pace. I think if it were dual drive I could take off and handle most hills.

I got some video but it was really dark and I didn't do a good job at pointing at the board..I try to post some more on my thread when i get out again.

Ok that's good news :D

Guys I met again a hazard today ; ordered cells from FastTech this week (like, FINALLY AFTER MONTHS OF WAIT), here is what I received this morning :

"Dear Christopher-Harold,

Thank you for ordering from FastTech.

We feel pity to notify you that the registered airmail of Sweden Post cannot ship external batteries (including power banks) temporarily due to there are batteries or power banks exploded during shipping via Sweden Post recently.

FastTech is now looking for a new shipping service to ship external batteries or power banks. If you prefer to wait for the new shipping service, we will ship your order via the new shipping service once the service is ready.

If you don't want to wait, we would like to suggest you to cancel the external batteries or power banks from your order. We can ship the rest items via other available registered airmail, such registered airmail of Singapore Post. If you prefer to cancel the entire order, we will issue refund immediately. Please kindly let us know your choice as soon as possible.

Shall you have any other requests about your orders, please also feel free to let us know by replying to this ticket. We will arrange as soon as possible.

Sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused. Thank you for your understanding."

double_facepalm.jpg

Hi guys, I had to slow down printing speed for parts so it is taking almost 12 hours for each... so for you to be patient here are preview, I assembled 3d model of USD carbon boot, my soulplate, frames and 110mm wheels with hub frame!

Preview1%2Bfull.png

Preview2%2Bfull.png

That's pretty much what prototype V1 will look like in flat setup :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So how is it? Ugly or ok?

I just noticed. Is the front wheel offset? Am I just looking at it wrong? That could be a little awkward if it is.

It looks sick though! I want to skate them!

Haha thanks! :D :D

No it is a perspective effect, all wheels are lined up like they should ! Frame is closer to the inside of the foot than fully centered for agile movements too :)

Wow... We were just throwing this idea around at the coffee shop a few nights ago. Talk started about all the different electric skate boards... and I keep seeing this old guy out at the lane on roller blades.

Fantasy spectrum:

Remember those shoes for kids with the wheel that would pop in and out?
Heelies

Imagine a pair of shoes that were comfortable, had a tiny power train in the sole, and recharged through regular walking such that they never needed to be plugged in.
They would only have... say... a 3 minute run time. Just enough to blast a 100 yards in a rush or have fun sliding around the grocery store.

Outrunner wheel
RC car electronics
Linear Technology energy harvester

We could make that work. Wouldn't even be that much heavier than the difference between light and heavy shoes.

-methods

It's an honor to welcome you into my thread methods! :D Well hopefully a lot of inline riders will like these and tag along e-skateboarders! It's funny, your fantasy spectrum reminds me of Blazer Drive, in the beginning the main character does actually have similar shoes and ground is magnetic almost everywhere. :wink: Do you do inline skating yourself?

Bit of update :

I fiddled a lot with the blue soul plate shown above, battery setups and Solidworks this afternoon (yea took time to modelize everything :lol: needed to cooldown). I wouldn't call immense the space inside this soul, but damn for once I'm proud of myself :twisted: :twisted:

As far as Hobbyking Lipo batteries go for DIYers, best I did last time was to squeeze 3x 4S5.2Ah Multistar inside the soul (equals 262Wh per skate, so above 500Wh total).

Well good news for 18650 lovers : I improved the inside to stack up to 12S3P cells. I was surprised but yea, it worked better than I'd have imagined, more space available than I thought. So considering you guys crave for range, if you were to build a 12S3P pack made of LG HG2 3Ah cells.... Do your maths, that's 450Wh per skate, with total of 900Wh :!:

Now is it cool enough? I need to grow my battery budget and show you the crazy numbers, but damn batteries get too expensive and on the heavy side at this point (above 300€ worth of batteries to make 2x 12S9Ah packs!) . Personnally I won't get HG2 for now, too expensive for me. I'll update on this once I make a new order!

Vanarian said:
that's 450Wh per skate, with total of 900Wh :!:
!

How is this even possible... amazing. Even with moderate efficiency that's like a 30 mile range....

grindz145 said:
Vanarian said:
that's 450Wh per skate, with total of 900Wh :!:
!

How is this even possible... amazing. Even with moderate efficiency that's like a 30 mile range....

Well I stacked 2 layers of 15x and 18x 18650 cells (that's 30 and 36 cells!) and it turns out that it fitted right in and plenty of space was left for all electronics I was shocked too haha

So depending on which cell you choose you can really tweak your ride in many ways now. And as 12S3P fit in, I can't see why 26650 LifePo4 wouldn't fit in 2P stacks too. I haven't tried this yet, I'll check this after dinner :p

I would try to get the UFS frame only done first. I bet you will sell these as kits wired to a backpack, and the full productization is going to be a nightmare. Plus, I still don't love the idea of having the cells strapped to my feet, especially on an aggressive boot ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: It's too tempting to do mean things to them :mrgreen: Plus I like to have my feet extremely low and close to the frame. Thick frames are a bit annoying and make the skate feel vauge. This will be a problem at 30mph :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Godspeed brother.

Hey, nice to see updates here.

so heres one from me
[youtube]IhwVwJHL-6g[/youtube]

it's a UFS compatible frame with 125mm wheels. you could do soul grinds, but negative would nearly impossible as the motor is in the inside. as for royales you would need something plastic to protect the aluminum frame like the old days.

and a little feedback for you. I'm guessing that after you build these gigantic frames and put 110mm wheels you'll notice that its way too tall to use with an aggressive boot. you have the 110mm from the wheel, plus let's say 10mm spacing and the batteries width that should be around another 50mm in which worst case (i know you have all the numbers) would give us a stilt-like boot 170mm (maybe taller) from the ground (against a 65-70mm normal UFS frame with 55m wheels). From my experience, aggressive boots are made to be flexible laterally to allow for grinds. I'm having a hard time with my Xsjados with the 125mm wheels which put me in 140mm height. You might need some ski boots of sorts.

other thing to consider is 4x110mm that would put you in 335mm wheelbase that its way too long for urban use, BUT would be great for those 30-35km/h speeds.

And lastly, 450Wh is a lot of weight. how much weight is that? I'm guessing that you are getting around 1kg+ just from the batteries.

if you add everything you will get a too tall, too long, too heavy, too expensive skate. It's fine for an experiment, but to make it a product it's a long shot.

what if you could reduce the height and weight by putting less batteries? maybe go for 3x110mm instead of 4x110mm to save on the weight of the frame and one wheel, also making it for maneuverable.

grindz145 said:
I would try to get the UFS frame only done first. I bet you will sell these as kits wired to a backpack, and the full productization is going to be a nightmare. Plus, I still don't love the idea of having the cells strapped to my feet, especially on an aggressive boot ... It's too tempting to do mean things to them Plus I like to have my feet extremely low and close to the frame. Thick frames are a bit annoying and make the skate feel vauge. This will be a problem at 30mph

I get your worries bro but don't worry I'm working to take these worries down :wink:

Ryuudan said:
I'm guessing that after you build these gigantic frames and put 110mm wheels you'll notice that its way too tall to use with an aggressive boot. you have the 110mm from the wheel, plus let's say 10mm spacing and the batteries width that should be around another 50mm in which worst case (i know you have all the numbers) would give us a stilt-like boot 170mm (maybe taller) from the ground (against a 65-70mm normal UFS frame with 55m wheels). From my experience, aggressive boots are made to be flexible laterally to allow for grinds. I'm having a hard time with my Xsjados with the 125mm wheels which put me in 140mm height. You might need some ski boots of sorts.

other thing to consider is 4x110mm that would put you in 335mm wheelbase that its way too long for urban use, BUT would be great for those 30-35km/h speeds.

And lastly, 450Wh is a lot of weight. how much weight is that? I'm guessing that you are getting around 1kg+ just from the batteries.

if you add everything you will get a too tall, too long, too heavy, too expensive skate. It's fine for an experiment, but to make it a product it's a long shot.

what if you could reduce the height and weight by putting less batteries? maybe go for 3x110mm instead of 4x110mm to save on the weight of the frame and one wheel, also making it for maneuverable.

Nice video Ryu! Yea you need to smooth the plates with some teflon, it would greatly help and allow some side grinds I think.

Now dudes you're getting it all wrong with my soul plate, you greatly underestimate its features (and why I actually was so proud to post about it yesterday). And my frames are not that gigantic... Height is WAY lower than you think.

First let me give you some numbers.

-Wheels shown on 3d model are 110mm wheels spaced by 2mm of clearance. That's 446mm total length for 4x110mm, exact wheelbase of Wizard frames from Leon Basin and Mushroom blading and you guys know what they can do with these wheels. As it is right now it would still perfectly work with 90mm wheels, and it can go up to 3x125mm with a turn of a key.

Where Ryu is right is that nothing stops me to actually tweak it to be sized specifically for ultrashort 80mm or 90mm with same 2mm space between wheels, and make it capable of switching up to 3x110mm/125mm instead of being 4x110 / 3x125 capable. I'm sticking to this version because it actually helps me make sure of all size constraints plus I'm assured of its performance by this guy and his team :

[youtube]ZhKdMtGJvm4[/youtube]

-Total ground height of the rider with 110mm wheels is 155 mm, nothing close to 170 or anything more. With tweaks and hybrid materials I can fall under 150mm, for now I kept it simple. Maybe this is not visible but the boot actually sits in the baseplate, not on top of it. Put smaller wheels and, well you get the idea, it is already a ton lower than you imagine.

-Soul plate actually is 42mm because of aggressive version, for fitness I could easily fit a 30mm max and get away with it.

-As sizes are, from 36 to 41 Soulplate would accept maximum 10S3P and from 42 up to 47, 12S3P. That's the maximum of cells it can accept, so less batteries are of course a possibility. Tweaking the batteries is a way to tweak the ride too!

Now I'll show you what kind of material I'm stuffing inside these and you'll understand why these are agressive soul plates designed to survive any goddamn abuse till the soul itself breaks or is worn by tricks. Remember also that the definitive version won't be a printed model, but a properly mold injected one, so even tests with the PETG printed version won't do it justice. I'm also using a thicker and more dense version than the pads shown in the following videos, and mine are guarded by the external material of the soul. BTW as I said before, these don't catch fire.

[youtube]eFG76535atY[/youtube]

[youtube]XeI6_gNVPLs[/youtube]

[youtube]vOQhUjBUydA[/youtube]

[youtube]Q1_FmS-ErXs[/youtube]

Remember I had Air treks in mind when I started this, if these are not worthy of being as extreme as air treks, it is a failed product for me. Also for kits, backpack is a bad idea above 350W as long cables cause surging and spikes, which damage batteries and ESC.

I'll be back later to give you weight figures with different battery setups, if I don't go now wife will K.O. me :lol:

I'm back! Ok onto weight then! I made a gross estimation (I don't have a scale anymore, but for parts which I couldn't retrieve weight I went on the fat side, ex VESC 200Gr -I'm pretty sure it is around 130Gr only but no unit left at the moment-) so this figure is bigger than the real weight by hundreds of grams, but here you go!

Expected weight for 1 skate in flat setup with aluminium frame in 10S2P would be 3.6Kg with 4x110mm wheels ; 10S3P would be 4.1Kg. I need to calculate for 26650 setups.

Grove setup shaves 250gr off these numbers.

10/12S2P are in my previsions range, I'm more probably under the 3.5kg mark :D Not as light as Ryu's thunderblades but I was expecting this much. If I get closer to 3Kg that's enough for me, given my classic inlines were already weighting 2.2kg fully loaded. I'll get myself a scale to give you accurate numbers later. Should give good surprises!

Last point, I think you'll be ok with the handling of the soul because extra weight makes for aim with the feet, plus some extra weight in the wheel. both give kinda an edge weight under the foot which should provide a good repartition. If the soul was plain hollow or too light, this would actually be an issue but the extra weight will make it very stable at high speeds.

I would give you the weight of the VESCs, but mine are soldered already.
nice 3d modelling of those boots. you made it yourself?

Anyway, glad to hear it's not that tall. it's still really tall though. Make a mockup 3D printed and test it to see how it affects your ride. I'm sure it's skateable, but don't expect to do a lot of tricks on it unless you build a boot specifically made for that.

from where I see it, aggressive boots usually don't have that much lateral support. I guess your M12 boots should handle since it is an old design. My Xsjado boots are having a hard time.

other thing is I've "skated" with the Rocket Skates and they are unskateable because of the weight and they don't have a good fit on your feet. they are 3kg and felt like big chunk stones attached to my feet. I guess you could get used to it though.

Anyway, I might start a "beta" program on Thundrblade soon. I just need to figure out some details and how to manufacture some parts. I will probably make a indiegogo campaign to get to know if there are enough interested people to move the project forward. I don't have the price yet, but I intend to make no money whatsoever in this beta, so near cost price. The most costly parts are the VESCs, if I use normal ESCs the price comes down around 100 USD.

Sorry for not replying sooner!

Thank you for the feedback, so in the end boots like XSjado or Doop would be better with lower heights and limited I suppose. Though there are some pretty good agressive boots with solid lateral support but they start to be expensive. Boots like Razors and K2 unnatural are good choice too, same for Slalom range from Seba etc...

Rocketskates are like fat lumps derivated from Heelys, putting this much weight to the heels is a nonsense (though I respect what they've done, it is genuinely original) and counter intuitive.

Edit : Actually 100$ are killer price! I can never get a price this low with my build, I'll need to get a pair!

Now updates! For the sake of science, I've wrapped water-bottles of 1.5liters to my Roces M12 :lol: With current setup, it was close to 4Kg plus bad weight repartition. That'd be unrideable so I've put restarted from scratch and put all my parts through a serious diet.

I aim at 2.7Kg for the lightest build and max 3.6kg for the heavier build. This will be hard to do.

Also I've heard you about wheel setups, did further researches. Conclusions are : upgrades include a WAY better frame geometry with shorter wheelbase again, and dramatical height drop. Soul alone dropped around 25mm, Frame also dropped in height too, I need to measure. Maximal capacity remains the same. I will work to make it even lower and slimmer for the smaller capacity versions.

Here are new previews with 3x125mm (you'll note that it oddly looks lower than the 4x110 setup above) :

Preview6%2Bfull.png

Preview5%2Bfull.png

Preview4%2Bfull.png

Since I got spare time this week and my wife and friends agreed to help me out a bit, I'll be posting a video soon :D

Also I've found some benchmark I wanna thrown them through ! Woodward mega ramp ! Watch starting from 0:30.

[youtube]2BeU-OeR05w[/youtube]

I felt refreshed looking at these jumps, so here you go for upgrades :

Preview7.png

More colors and upgrades to come. Call me crazy but I want them to fly the mega ramp !

Yo, I've met with a group of skaters yesterday and they were so nice!

The more skilled of the group (seriously this guy is crazy) took time to look at my project and we also switched skates (he had Seba FR-something fr slaloms with alu 80mm frames) for few minutes.

Well damn slalom skates are agile! And also very light. I need to make my parts as light as possible. Updates on current version will follow soon.

So far new tweaks have been brought to make the frame lose some width and weight while making it more rigid. Quite successful. Soulplate has also gained a lot from redesign. Distance between frame and foot is around 15-18mm only now so that's miles better than the 40-50mm high first version.

Now for bad news :

I wanted to make carbon parts out of my printed models (since making carbon sandwiches is less expensive and m'ore accesible than I thought). But in the end after 2 successful prints my 3D printer made shjt again halfway.

Can't spend carbon on missized parts, at least I could tighten them with fasteners so actual IRL preview will follow.

Second bad news (this one is huge) : my electricity provider frocked UP big time. They ask me for 500€ of bills because they didn't properly manage my consumption. That's MAGIC SHIT because this week I finally had hit my 600€ mark for getting ALL my missing electronics and inline parts. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm mad big time guys, words won't tell. Anyway! Gotta focus on getting my frames made since my printer is no more reliable for extended use.

Pictures of updatzs will follow soon guys.

Back