Turnigy Multistar - lightweight 10C cells

i've been runninng these 14s and 22s for a while now and theyve been great at 4c all day

i just bought another bunch of packs in the aus store at quite a bit less than my first few buys, bringing my overall total cost per W right down even further for these into unarguable value territory

sketchism said:
i've been runninng these 14s and 22s for a while now and theyve been great at 4c all day

i just bought another bunch of packs in the aus store at quite a bit less than my first few buys, bringing my overall total cost per W right down even further for these into unarguable value territory

4C peak or constant? How much sag?

cwah said:
sketchism said:

4C peak or constant? How much sag?

I run these probably a bit harder than i should, 16AH 22S (4X4S2P 1X6S2P packs) and i pull about 50A most of the time, i've got my CA limited at 69 though, it sags about 5-6V under full load and they've never gotten even body temp, my motor is the weak point.

le15otl, what is your sag like at full current (and what current), i heard the 20ah are a little soggier being 6S1P unlike the 16ah's 6s2p?

on the next battery box build i will try find some more space and run them 32Ah 22S2P i think that would be perfect range and discharge, 100A all day, the new ones i ordered on special just arrived so i have them coming out my ears now and i'm quite happy with em.
lots of volume though.

Just ordered a pair of 16Ah 4S so I can run my BBS02 at 14S.
Price from the Uk warehouse was £122.10 so I ordered them from the European warehouse with delivery to the UK and they came in at £81.98.
Always pays to check all the options available.

I just snagged four 16AH 6S batteries from the UK warehouse, which are going to make a 12S 32AH battery.

Cost £227

Kudos

Sketchism, because they are so big I don't really have any trouble with sag at all. As taking 50A is only 2.5C. I think it would be quite soggy if I could take like 5C from it, because as it is at low voltage (3.75) it can sag to 3.6 under load.

The 16Ah multistars under a 60A load can maintain a 3.6v or higher for the entire discharge.

I am not sure how to do the math, 3 c and 4 c is how many amps max with
Multistar packs 2 6s packs to make 12s

12s 1p 8000 mAh pack ? how many amps at 3 c ? , and how many amps at 4c ?

12s 1`p 10,000 mAh pack ? Same question about max amps .

or

The Zippy's 2 7s packs together to make a 14s 1p 5000 mAh pack ? max Amp draw at 3c and 4c with these Zippy's ?

Thanks

sketchism said:

ScooterMan101 said:
I am not sure how to do the math, 3 c and 4 c is how many amps max with
Multistar packs 2 6s packs to make 12s

12s 1p 8000 mAh pack ? how many amps at 3 c ? , and how many amps at 4c ?

12s 1`p 10,000 mAh pack ? Same question about max amps .

A 8,000mAh pack = 8A @ 1C, 16A @ 2C, 24A @ 3C, etc etc
A 10,000mAh pack = 10A @ 1C, 20A @ 2C, 30A @ 3C, etc etc

I have been combining 4S and 6S 20A MultiStars and they seem to do very well with lots of cycles already on them. 200+ so far of 30A continuous for about 45 mins to 1 hour. Most of the time, I set my pack up as 14S1P--having no parallel cells is an added bonus to simplicity and keeping them in balance.

If I run the pack down to lower than 3.8V (around 3.4 to 3.7), I will toss them on the balance charger. Otherwise, they are connected to a bulk charger to 4.05V per cell. I have HK Cell Alarms on each LiPo pack. These devices are way off when it comes to accurate voltage readings, but still a good safeguard against overdischarging. I haven't realized any degradation in performance (and capacity) of these packs, but I don't charge them higher than 4.1V per cell and try to keep them from going lower than 3.8V most of the time. Never lower than 3.4V.

I agree with a previous poster than the 6S packs seem to have cell voltages a bit off from one another after both charging/settling and discharging. I would say the cells are sometimes off by as much as 0.06V. My 4S packs are always within 0.02V of one another.

Compared to a similar more common zippy setup the multistars have been proving to perform well

The equivalent setup for 20S from the common Zippy 5000mAh 4S1P 20C packs ($40 aud) at 20s ends up needing 15 batteries for the same discharge rate & ah as 10 4S 16000mAh 10C multistars ($66 aud)

At Higher C amounts and slightly higher AH, the multistars perform very well
10CMultistar 20s2P - 320A D Advertised / 128A Recommended 32AH - 10 packs at $66aud = $660 ($20 per AH at similar pack discharge rate)
20Czippy 20s3p - 300A D Advertised / 120A Reccomended 15AH - 15 packs at $40aud = $600 ($40 per AH at similar pack discharge rate)

simpler wiring and charging, double the AH and slightly higher C rating overall make them a pretty good option if you have the space, even better if you only want to pull 60A and run them 20s1p at 16ah

The drawback is definitely fitting them in tight spaces, they aren't small but they seem to be worth it so far

More Multistar has gone on sale;
6S/8,000 mAh-$50
6S/10,000 mAh-$50
East US warehouse;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=1388&LiPoConfig=6&sortlist=H&CatSortOrder=desc

^^ that price is brilliant, i wish i bought these for that

spend the afternoon playing with a few layouts but i've got it
22s 2p, 32Ah, ~2900Wh pulling ~120A at 90v

ObLUbJV.jpg

Go get some multistars. They have sales on sum' of the batteries, even at half price.

good for 10c discharge, constant of 5c I would say.

:D

I bought 14x 5200 6s packs, 3 packs failed with in 5 or so cycles, they dropped a cell each. I couldn't be arsed sending them back, but on special even with these failures it was a good deal. Sales are on again , Tis tempting but I'll see how reviews on graphene goes.

With all hobby king packs if you are going to go down this road you must have a good charger that can discharge and charge fast to weed out bad packs quickly. This must be done as soon as you get them. Ive spent as much as 2 weeks checking packs from hobby king. Expect as much as 10-15% dud rate. But when you do get good ones they are golden. Ive got plenty of refunds by registering my packs for warranty and supplying them the information as soon as I discover it. the first cycle will tell you alot. If you say some cellls died. They were probably week and you over discharged them. A full cycle to check for capacity will tell you if you can trust a pack for the entire capacity or not. I check each pack individuall and then parallel them and check them again before I say I can discharge 20AH from 4 packs. I dont assume they can deliver that out of the box. Some of this is just plain user error from being lazy and not going the extra mile to check because the things you described would have been caught on the first cycle. Simply pulling a pack out the box and checking the voltage isnt enough. It must be cycled on a charger to give you capacity and indicate which one might be the weakest cell and whether you can put it in your finished pack or not. If it doesnt deliver stated capacity I immediately do a warranty claim and I have been good a getting my money back 100% without sending anything back

I cycled about 8 packs , for the 5200mah I only ever managed to pull 4900 mah , which is close enough for me. I now only charge my packs to 4.1 not 4.2 and use about 70% capacity discharge. I'm told this extends their cycles considerably, every 5th charge or so I'll do a balance to 4.2, to bring the cells all back into line. I pull 100amps at 120v from my packs , 10x 5.2ah as 2p x30s , 10c from each pack max, they never get warm and sag is pretty low. And your right once the packs get through the first 5 cycles or so, if they haven't failed they are happy as. I've done about 30 cycles so far with all cells happy. Keeping 60cells balanced seems pretty easy.

Jestronix said:
I cycled about 8 packs , for the 5200mah I only ever managed to pull 4900 mah , which is close enough for me. I now only charge my packs to 4.1 not 4.2 and use about 70% capacity discharge. I'm told this extends their cycles considerably, every 5th charge or so I'll do a balance to 4.2, to bring the cells all back into line. I pull 100amps at 120v from my packs , 10x 5.2ah as 2p x30s , 10c from each pack max, they never get warm and sag is pretty low. And your right once the packs get through the first 5 cycles or so, if they haven't failed they are happy as. I've done about 30 cycles so far with all cells happy. Keeping 60cells balanced seems pretty easy.
Good luck! keep us informed.

Dan

Back