how to program a sevcon gen4

jonescg said:
Arlo1 said:
Explained quickly the zero motor is wound as 2 separate sections in side like having 2 separate motors in one case. But the phases are crimped together inside. So when you want to run separate controllers you open it up and split the windings. :)

That's cool! So since the mass of copper is no different, I can only assume the high power is possible for a shorter duration?
Correct. Unless you do something to improve cooling ;)
So this very motor is for a drag bike with a 3-5 second burnout and a 10 second 1/4 mile run... Heat wont be a problem. I spent all day thrusday doing repeated runs on the dyno with a fan on the motor and the shop at 8 deg C ambient the motor never got above 17 deg C.
But in hard core motocross use it may get hot so at that point I would add some ATF.... :)

Arlo1 said:
jonescg said:
Arlo1 said:
Explained quickly the zero motor is wound as 2 separate sections in side like having 2 separate motors in one case. But the phases are crimped together inside. So when you want to run separate controllers you open it up and split the windings. :)

That's cool! So since the mass of copper is no different, I can only assume the high power is possible for a shorter duration?
Correct. Unless you do something to improve cooling ;)
So this very motor is for a drag bike with a 3-5 second burnout and a 10 second 1/4 mile run... Heat wont be a problem. I spent all day thrusday doing repeated runs on the dyno with a fan on the motor and the shop at 8 deg C ambient the motor never got above 17 deg C.
But in hard core motocross use it may get hot so at that point I would add some ATF.... :)

In motocross we hit the thermal limit within 2 laps (<4mins) with 550A phase at 25*C ambient temperature. That's why we had to liquid cool the motors and use 2 radiators and even fans on our bikes.
I have to say it is the old 75-5 we used in this bikes http://www.e-mxm.com/

Greets

Yes the 75-7 has a higher continuous power rating. And I have some plans. I'm not to worried about the thermal limits at this point.

Guys if I got it right, more current means more torque, but also more power-loss. More voltage means higher speed, less torque/less acceleration.
A sevcon is almost impossible to programm for a newbie.
So how about that: everyone who likes to have a deathbike-like programmed sevcon contributes some $.
Once we reach the money, worth 300 hours of work, Luke gets the money for some more research/motor-burning and we get the data?
From there we can downgrade the data to a less-deadly configuration.

Luke what do you want for a short video, that shows your data on the sevcon?

I will like to learn enough to make me good at programming and setting up the gen 4 for my x6 hub motor..

I'm taking everything a step at a time..

so far ..

-I have cleaned up the harness that came with the gen 4 size 6, educated my self how to wire/pin it correctly.. i reviewed and made sure what the previous owner did was correct.

- i then installed the drivers/software for the dvt programming.. connected.. disconnected to the controller.. that all works...

- i printed some aids online on how to configure basic stuff..

- i want to get my hands on a firmware that will run a hall sensored style motor, just to get my motor to spin.. and then enter in further data to tweak everything slowly to get it where i want to be ..

-i need to figure out is there a DCF file i could use to act as a base to get my x6 hub motor spinning with the controller..

if not, i've spoken to Doctorbass.. he advised me that i may need to use the sevcon function tool that will help to find the motor parameters.. ( just like the adaptto controller )

-steveo

Just fyi I'm in about the same situation.
I'm in the process of tuning a Heinzmann PMS 120.

So far I have it spinning and will now contact Sevcon about the latest firmware. I also have "some" working dcf from an ES user that will need a different
firmware - and to his experience the motor can't do more than 11kw - which would be too bad.

So far it hasn't been too difficult. I was a bit put off by the claims made here that only a few select people can tune the Sevcons properly - but we will see.

The initial minimal setup is already a huge pita - took about 2 evenings - since I couldn't find any ready-made cables with the Ampseal connector.
Once that's done and you mail Sevcon about a DVT license and sort out the minimal electrical stuff (contactor, motor position feedback, ...)
you can start tuning.

Does anyone have a copy of the hall sensor firmware? My Gen4 apparently has induction-only firmware installed. This is the one from Korea that other people have successfully had working with hall motors, so I know the hardware is capable. Sevcon has told me that they don't support individuals and won't send me the firmware. They referred me to Electric Motorsport, who won't help me as I didn't buy the controller there. I even offered to pay for their time. Please help. Thank you!

KLRbee said:
Does anyone have a copy of the hall sensor firmware? My Gen4 apparently has induction-only firmware installed. This is the one from Korea that other people have successfully had working with hall motors, so I know the hardware is capable. Sevcon has told me that they don't support individuals and won't send me the firmware. They referred me to Electric Motorsport, who won't help me as I didn't buy the controller there. I even offered to pay for their time. Please help. Thank you!

I'm in the same boat as you, I have a gen 4 size 6, i haven't had time to play with it much, but i need firmware that will allow hall sensored motor to run

i eventually will run a zero motor with funds permit!

-steveo

steveo said:
KLRbee said:

I'm in the same boat as you, I have a gen 4 size 6, i haven't had time to play with it much, but i need firmware that will allow hall sensored motor to run

-steveo

^^ is that even possible? Can you reflash a non Hall Gen4 version to hall? Has this been done?
Are there no hardware differences?

exco said:
steveo said:
KLRbee said:

-steveo

^^ is that even possible? Can you reflash a non Hall Gen4 version to hall? Has this been done?

i believe every sevcon model is a bit different.. they will run either a hall sensored type motor or a motor with encodor or certain motors do both.

exco said:
steveo said:
KLRbee said:

-steveo

have 7 hall only size 4s running firmware for both UVW (hall) and sine/cosine After you load the firmware you just go into the settings and select UVW 5v

Guys I have a version of firmware I can share. This is with warning you must know what you are doing. Anyone who wants to try this is welcome but once you load it there is no going back. I have a couple things using this version so it should be ok.

Again if you brick your sevcon its not my fault! use caution! I know this works on a size 4 I don't know about any other controllers..

Attachments

• SN0076.07.zip
    172.1 KB · Views: 432
thanks Arlo for posting the firmware for us.

We all very much appreciate your time and efforts you must of put into it to get it all working.. hopefully this will give us a head start for something to work off of.

i'll keep everyone posted if i get this working with my x6 motor

-steveo

Arlo1 said:
Guys I have a version of firmware I can share. This is with warning you must know what you are doing. Anyone who wants to try this is welcome but once you load it there is no going back. I have a couple things using this version so it should be ok.

Again if you brick your sevcon its not my fault! use caution!

Hey Arlo

I don't know if this even matters, i'm after a gen 4 size 4 for a project.. and i have come across 2 with different model numbers .. but they seem to be the same controller.. i'm not sure.. i just want to be sure if i throw the firmware on either it will work .. or if there is a specific one thats better then the other

i found this one in a for sale thread

part# 634A83212

the second on i found is ..

this is the seller that was selling them on es and ebay:

Part# 634A83310

thanks
-steveo

I have been successfully putting the same firmware in all size 4s. Some of mine have been sine/cosine and some UVW only so far not a problem.

Arlo1 said:
I have been successfully putting the same firmware in all size 4s. Some of mine have been sine/cosine and some UVW only so far not a problem.

thanks for clarifying...

just to make sure i'm on the right page with understanding sine/cosine vs uvw ...

sine/cosine - zero 75-7 motor with encoder

UVW - X5303 hub motor with hall sensors

do i got this right.. or totally wrong..

so i believe that sevcon has controllers that are sine/cosine and some that are UVW and some that will do both sine/cosine & UVW

My size 6 ends in i believe 203 -- i believe this is both sine/cosine & UVW

-steveo

UVW = Hall
The early sevcons are UVW only can tell by the serial number.
The sine/co-sine sevcons can do both Hall (UVW) and sine/co-sine

Hi there,

I have been using 2 GEN4 size 4 for a while (quite happy with it) and motors from Motenergy. I wanted to upgrade my IXXAT usb-to-can V1 for a V2 (as the V1 is not mine and I will have to give it back..., when I have a V2 available at work)
But now I need to update my DVT software, and I can't find a proper version that installs and works properly on my computer. As anyone anything that works ? via pm ?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=67388
[youtube]ZvtI845jzqI[/youtube]

I am getting familiar with the Sevcon and I need help with a couple faults,
The firmware is from 2010

0 0x5302 no bootup
1 0x530f SDO timeout

Thanks

Hi Doc,

Im riwe, in the article below from diyelectric car, I did a deep dive into Sevcon and field weakening during a dyno-test. "Id" is very much dependent on the Ke-value set in the controler. If the Ke is faulty the Id will kick in to early or to late. I had the wrong Ke when the graph below was taken. I dont have access to the dyno now but the motor and controller, me1304 and Sevcon size6, will be put into work in May this year, I be able to give you updated figures by then if you like.

Thanks

Rikard

Doctorbass said:
I have found a really interesting thread about that great feature the sevcon controller does have:

the FIELD WEAKENING

on the diyelectricar forum:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/field-weakening-efficiency-93277.html

some highlight:

2297_Feature1.gif

Hi, as stated from members before , the dyno tests starts at 70V /4000 RPM with very low load. At this point efficiency is very low (30-40%)
When more load is applied (holding voltage, and rpm "constant" ) amperage, torque and efficiency increases, efficiency up to 80%.
The highest efficiency should be near base-speed of motor (which is??) and under full load. For a PM-AC this should normally be about 90%.
So I assume that either
1) The motor is not fully loaded
2) The base speed is not 4000 RPM

And now to the FOC - algorithm which holds the voltage/rpm "constant" under different load. Assuming magnets are in the rotor you apply three AC phases to the stator which are typically 120 degree shifted.
When adding the three components (either in rotor or stator frame) you get 2 currents Id and Iq (and two corresponding magnetic fields induced by this currents) which are 90 degree shifted.
One magnetic component is parallel to the magnetic rotor field (induced by Id), the other to the stator coil field (induced by Iq). Together they produce the torque required for the rotation of the load in addition to the magnetic field of the PM present:

T = k1*Iq X (k2*Id + Bpm),

k1 and k2 are constants based on stator inductance,Bpm is the PM-field
For PM-machine the present PM-field in the rotor is usually strong so you try to keep the current Id as little as possible to simplify control.
That leaves Iq as the torque determining component (Id -> 0):

T = k1*Iq X Bpm, with Bpm the constant field from the PM.

As load increases, Iq is increased, this works up to base speed.
Over base-speed Id must be set negative to produce a field opposing Bpm.

From Riwe on diyelectriccar forum

During testing we took some logs as well. Both Iq and Id was monitored and we saw that the highest motor rpm without applied Id is approx. 1650 rpm. This is using a 48V controller.

The picture on the bottom shows the motor running at approx. 2400rpm. Id applied is at the moment -138 A. We can also see that Id is not present until approx. 1650rpm.

As I was told the base speed is dependent on the voltage of the controller. If I would use a 72 Volt controller the base speed would be higher because the controller can handle a higher voltage from the motor before applying Id.
Id in motenergy motors are “normally” (I’ve seen this value in 3 different configurations from Sevcon) set to -200A and we hit that value during our tests. If we increased the Id we got a higher RPM.

I would think that even if I dont run the motor at 72volt the efficiency would be higher and as Major said motenergy claim up to 92% between 24-72V.

I guess there is something wrong with either my config or the way we measure.

To be continued...

Thank you all!

Rikard

riwi77 said:
Hi Doc,

Im riwe, in the article below from diyelectric car, I did a deep dive into Sevcon and field weakening during a dyno-test. "Id" is very much dependent on the Ke-value set in the controler. If the Ke is faulty the Id will kick in to early or to late. I had the wrong Ke when the graph below was taken. I dont have access to the dyno now but the motor and controller, me1304 and Sevcon size6, will be put into work in May this year, I be able to give you updated figures by then if you like.

Thanks

Rikard

Great!... Keep us updated it will be interesting!... We, together will finally get the desired skill to understand these beast!

Doc

That would be nice :)

I saw that you referred to a base speed of 4400 rpm before id kicked in, at what system voltage was this, 72V? Was it for the me130x or for the
75-7 sr?

Thanks

Rikard

Doctorbass said:
riwi77 said:
Hi Doc,

Thanks

Rikard

Great!... Keep us updated it will be interesting!... We, together will finally get the desired skill to understand these beast!

Doc

Arlo1 said:
exco said:
steveo said:
KLRbee said:

-steveo

have 7 hall only size 4s running firmware for both UVW (hall) and sine/cosine After you load the firmware you just go into the settings and select UVW 5v
To be clear, the firmware version you've shared supports hall and sin/cosine? I'm strongly considering buying one of the 2010 Gen 4 controllers from Korea but my motor has a sin/cos sensor and I want to be sure that controller will support it before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

Hello All,
I also need help programming a Sevcon Gen 4 for a Vextrix VX2 48V scooter.
I have DVT and an IXATT .
I have no .EDS file so I think I need to load the boot program first.
Does anyone have the 48V .eds file for the Sevcon?
Thanks
Wes

Back