Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

izeman said:
any news about 3.1beta an new long awaited features? anything to test?
Ha! You don't miss a trick... :D

As noted on the Grin Blog page, a new bigger facility was leased, prepped, and 10years of stuff from the old shop relocated (whew!). Justin left immediately and is now at the Taipei bike show. Sooo - the 3.1 release got derailed for a month while J was deeply involved with these other pressing business matters.

Meanwhile, I've been riding with the in-house alpha version (3.1a1) and it's pretty neat. Most new features are display enhancements. These affect the look and feel of the product and so really need a bit of road time to evaluate. When J gets back and can ride a bit with the new stuff, we will finalize a couple of display decisions and then I expect a1 will become b1 and get posted up.

Anyhow - 3.1b1 should appear not too long after Justin's return.

teklektik said:
snellemin said:
Battery is 18s Lipo.
Hall throttle.
Throttle, 3-position and brakes are hooked up to the CA.
Thanks. Just wanted to verify the CA regulators weren't on the edge because of high Vbatt and lots of power used by controls - yours has lots of headroom, so no issues there... :)

I haven't messed around with the suggestion of using bypass caps. I wanted to know where/how the noise was coming in. I took everything apart and rewired everything.
So after a lot of swearing and found that whenever the CA is installed into the bike, the issue arises. CA works as it should outside the frame.

Now to deal with this issue.

I bought the speedo cable and soldered that onto the PCB which runs out of the case, I also have the regular cable running out of the case. So I can use my CA3-DP for both Geared and Direct Drive.

I need to figure out how to update the firmware. Software downloaded onto computer.
Looks like I need the CA-USB cable, guess I should have bought that when I bought the CA.
Is it possible to reconfigure my TTL-USB programing cable for the Lyen, to fit the connector. I was thinking since I bought a pack of the connectors from ebikes.ca that maybe I could use one of those connectors, plug it into the TTL-USB then solder in whatever wires are needed. Looks like only 3 are used for the 3.5mm TRS Jack. The two strips on the shaft and the shaft itself.

teklektik said:
No - that's strange.
I'll do some tests to see if I can replicate the issue.
Thanks for the post! :D
should i post the .hex? i'll upload later if it helps. maybe it was caused by upgrading from pre v3 to release and kepping the settings? probably a complete new setup will solve that.

izeman said:
should i post the .hex? i'll upload later if it helps. maybe it was caused by upgrading from pre v3 to release and kepping the settings? probably a complete new setup will solve that.
I'm not sure that the .hex will reveal much.
That said, if you can PM it or post it up it may stop that last sentence from becoming 'famous last words'. :)

Hmmm, I don't believe that a fresh setup will change this aspect of things, but it would be good if you could try that just to be sure. I usually open two Setup instances so I can see the old values from the CA and the new blank version side by side and just scroll through to ensure that I get all the values transferred correctly.

izeman said:
teklektik said:
maybe it was caused by upgrading from pre v3 to release and kepping the settings? probably a complete new setup will solve that.
My desktop test unit only goes down to about 4.5mph, so with some nice weather I got a chance to do some tests on my bike - which like yours, has three spoke magnets.

I get speed readings starting at about 2.5mph. This is about 4kph. (kind of hard to test since it's so slow, but...).
This is as expected - the speed calculation has a low speed cutoff that matches that speed pretty closely. This speed cutoff is independent of the number of spoke magnets/motor poles and relies on a minimum allowable time to make one revolution.

There were a couple of changes to the speedo pickup debounce logic a ways back but I'm not sure I can see how that would have this particular isolated effect on your getaway speed... I'll have to think about that a bit. When Justin returns from the Taipei trip I'll see if has any insights to offer.

teklektik said:
izeman said:
teklektik said:
maybe it was caused by upgrading from pre v3 to release and kepping the settings? probably a complete new setup will solve that.
My desktop test unit only goes down to about 4.5mph, so with some nice weather I got a chance to do some tests on my bike - which like yours, has three spoke magnets.

I get speed readings starting at about 2.5mph. This is about 4kph. (kind of hard to test since it's so slow, but...).
This is as expected - the speed calculation has a low speed cutoff that matches that speed pretty closely. This speed cutoff is independent of the number of spoke magnets/motor poles and relies on a minimum allowable time to make one revolution.

There were a couple of changes to the speedo pickup debounce logic a ways back but I'm not sure I can see how that would have this particular isolated effect on your getaway speed... I'll have to think about that a bit. When Justin returns from the Taipei trip I'll see if has any insights to offer.

Is it possible to change the logic to look for the minimum allowable time to the next magnet? This would give a three magnet setup more of an advantage.

After finally working out some probs with my CA integration on my build, and getting my CA to allow me full motor speed on pass thru for the first time, I now find I'm running into other lil probs.
I'm wondering if any one else has experienced their CA giving phantom extra recharge cycle readings, outa nowhere! That's what happened to me when I started fine tuning testing today, and it had 5 charge cycles recorded. After tuning the aux pot 3 speed settings, I noticed on either entering or leaving setup, that it had jumped to 6? about an hour later it said 7, and before I put it to charge this evening it ALREADY said 8?? anyone have an idea what on earth could be happening here?
I know I can change it back manually, but why is it doing it now? It never has before, and I didn't even enter that part of the settings menu at all today? confusing :?

teklektik said:
izeman said:
any news about 3.1beta an new long awaited features? anything to test?
Ha! You don't miss a trick... :D

As noted on the Grin Blog page, a new bigger facility was leased, prepped, and 10years of stuff from the old shop relocated (whew!). Justin left immediately and is now at the Taipei bike show.

[youtube]ljoA8xznXb0[/youtube]

OK I followed the instructions from the ebikes.ca website on how to install the speedo cable.
My first initial power up had the CA blinking, basically the Yellow SP wire did not have continuity.

Here is the deal. I have both a Direct Drive MXUS 3000W V2 motor, and a Geared BMC V1 motor (~400W).
I bought the Speedo cable from ebikes.ca.
I want to be able to use the CA on both motors.

Here is what I did. I have 3 wires coming out of the CA.

The Yellow SP wire, in my case, has 2 wires coming out of the CA. A Blue wire (~22AWG) is soldered onto the stock yellow wire connected to the pcb SP pad. A "Grey" strand from a ribbon cable (~26AWG?) is soldered onto the other end of the yellow wire that goes somewhere else inside the CA. This is the continuity, its just one wire thats been cut to utilize being able to use both modes DD and Geared.

I then have another "Red" strand of ribbon cable soldered onto the G pad on the pcb. This is used for the speedo cable.

If I connect the blue and grey, leave red unhooked its DD mode.
If I connect the Red and Grey to the Speedo Cable then its Geared mode.

I dont see any problems with this, do you guys?
Of course the unhooked wire(s) would be taped up with electrical tape, or I might do a switch (but I doubt it).

I opened the CA up because I forgot the sequence of wires, plus I wanted to check the quality of my soldering, which is good.

The average cell voltage readout is a nice feature that I have requested in the past. With so many different pack voltages it makes no sense to try to recall what pack voltage is for each bike, looking at cell voltages is much simpler and more consistent as most packs use similar per cell voltages, even if not there are only a couple of common voltage ranges.

However I DO NOT like alternating displays. The CA alternating displays distracted my adult son one day and caused him to crash. Alternating displays have NO PLACE on a moving vehicle display as it can cause anyone to extend their view of the display and lead to an accident. It is in the same class as operating cellphones while driving - it is a direct temptation to distracted driving.

I propose that all alternating displays on the CA be phased out. A single lawsuit over this could be devastating.

Alan B said:
The average cell voltage readout is a nice feature that I have requested in the past. With so many different pack voltages it makes no sense to try to recall what pack voltage is for each bike, looking at cell voltages is much simpler and more consistent as most packs use similar per cell voltages, even if not there are only a couple of common voltage ranges.

However I DO NOT like alternating displays. The CA alternating displays distracted my adult son one day and caused him to crash. Alternating displays have NO PLACE on a moving vehicle display as it can cause anyone to extend their view of the display and lead to an accident. It is in the same class as operating cellphones while driving - it is a direct temptation to distracted driving.

I propose that all alternating displays on the CA be phased out. A single lawsuit over this could be devastating.

I concur. Such a display takes the eyes off the job at hand for an extended period while waiting for it to change. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a human factors engineering spec somewhere for human-operated equipment that disallows this for safety reasons...

teklektik said:
v3.1 Beta 1 Released

We're back in 'beta mode' again!

[*]Aux->ScaleLim is Now a Global Parameter: This is actually a downgrade in the status of this parameter so that it is no longer possible to have the AuxPot input control different Limiting in different presets (eg Amps in #1, PAS in #2) - all presets must have the same AuxPot Limiting. This was a difficult decision, but it is done as a precursor to cool new AuxPot features in the next beta release ....
We look forward to feedback - so have at it! :D

Game Over..... :cry:

what will be that: cool new AuxPot features in the next beta release ?
this AUX Pot feature WAS one of that feature what i daily used. :-/

LIFT YOUR WHEEL WHEN YOU UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finished update firmware my bike wants to crouch up my wall!!!!!! :roll:

edit:

Ok theres something wrong.

after switch off CA/Controller, i got an very loud "sound" and the bike pops a bit forward.
video is uploading ...............

[youtube]9sTMs8tThi4[/youtube]

edit #2

...i think its in the throttle settings. as it is default to the main usage china crap throttles they not working below 1v.
domino and Maguras work from 0-5v.

edit #3

...Ok. strange sound fixed as it was the throttle in/out.

B U T

standing beside my bike and tickin brakediscs now.....
Ca's Throttle Out settings "stuck" on last value they got.....
that means.

turn on cycle analyst everything is right. no Throttle Out.
If you give some throttle (0,1-0,2v) motor start spinning as expected.
release throttle. Motor doesnt stop spinning.
on diagnostics screen throttle out stucks on 0,2v (that means for a torque throttle up to full spinning motor speed with lifted wheel)
if you go in setup mode "quick" as a emergency stop sending throttle signal to the controller.....it doesnt work.
Motor spinns (in my case) with 180kph.

you have to shut down cycle analyst to stop motor spinning.

i think as a general advise it's ALWAYS a good idea to lift the driven wheel from the ground when changing some CA's settings. i once tested throttle setting WOT (before knowing what WOT stands for). don't need to explain in detail what happened, or what would have happened if i hadn't reached the brakes that fast.

Back