6-pin to 3-pin throttle

chuckwalla

100 µW
Well I've searched all over this board and haven't seen anything on my issue. I hope I'm not repeating.

I have a Razor Metro scooter, love the thing and at this point totally custom. The only annoyance I have is that I'd prefer a full length throttle verses the small stock one. I've purchased a standard 3-pin full length throttle and experimented converting from the 6-pin controller. I've looked at available wiring diagrams but none are detailed. Has anyone converted a 6-pin Metro to a 3-pin throttle or am I going to need a different 3-pin compatible controller too?

Thanks!

Usually the extra 3 wires are for the batt charge lights on the throttle. You don't need them with the new throttle. Should just need the red black and green(sometimes blue) wire.

Ive got a similar issue through modding, I believe your throttle is a resistive 6w pot throttle don't hold me on it as i can not find one for love no money in the uk to test. The throttle you have might be the missing link I need because I have tryed hall effect throttle sensors and the board expect to see a different signal 0-5v for potentiometer and hall effect is 1-4v so you may not get full throttle control if that is the case. The motor will spin slowly with no throttle and won't rev to its high point if a hall if fitted to a pot board.
Worst case you need to swap the throttle and ESC as a pair.

Thanks.....I've tried the red-black-green connection thinking the same. But with this setup I don't even hear the relay click in the controller. I have a feeling that Razor has used a unique setup here and a conversion for just the throttle is a no go. I did take a peek inside the Razor throttle and it has an additional micro switch that is depressed when you 1st turn the throttle. So without a true schematic to work with I ordered a standard controller on-line yesterday that will work with the throttle I want. I'll keep the original Razor stuff as backup spares. I'm still waiting for the last of my snow to melt here in Iowa so I have a bit of time to experiment. I installed a 36V 10A Lithium Manganese Hydride battery that I'm chomping at the bit to try. Weighs a mere 4 1/2 pounds.

Thanks for all your input!

I didn't realize it was the on off one. I thought your original was a variable. You cannot use a variable throttle with an on off controller.

Sorry for the misunderstanding....it is a variable but I'm not sure why there's a micro-switch that's activated when you 1st turn the throttle. My hunch is that they've added a safety in the throttle so when it is let go and returns to "off" the switch ensures that there is no possibility of a slight signal for throttle to make it safe. Sort of like the brake lever switches.

The main thing about mating different throttles is if the current throttle has battery pack voltage for LED hi/med/low gauge. Probe around with a multi meter and see if something’s at pack voltage? Stay away from that and you should be able to decipher throttle functions without damage.

Switch is an interesting thing? Ohm meter it out and determine what state it’s in at what point in movement. Probably just short or leave open to enable?

Back