KMX tadpole trike with canopy, Windwrap, cromotor, 10KW

The nice thing about the front suspension is that I have now the clearance to install some fat tire at the front.

Last year, Schwinn introduced a 20" fat bike for kids:
Schwinn%20Tex%20Youth%2020%20Bike.png

It was actually cheaper to buy the complete bike compare to only buy a set of wheels from Schwinn...

Sadly, the KMX hub number of holes didn't fit the fat rim. I had to build my own hub:
DSCF1674_800x600.jpg

Once the new set of wheel is trued, it is time to install em on the bike for a test:
DSCF1697_800x600.jpg

DSCF1701_800x600.jpg

fat-tire-A_800x600.jpg

fat-tire-B_800x600.jpg

fat-tire-D_800x600.jpg

fat-tire-E-trimed_800x523.jpg

fat-tire-G_800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what an amazing machine Adam. Your engineering skills and precision fabrication are simply astounding. With all the CNC milling and 3D printing, is that what you do for a living or is it just perfection in your hobby!

I love your new suspension - Is bump steer and brake steer a lot worse now that the king pin axis doesn't hit the ground where the tire contacts the ground? Or do the new larger diameter wheels now bring the contact patch much closer to the king pin axis again? (hard to tell from the photos)

Thanks guys :D

Frakentrike said:
With all the CNC milling and 3D printing, is that what you do for a living or is it just perfection in your hobby!

I do mechanical design on computer at work and I have a CNC lathe and milling at home.

Frakentrike said:
I love your new suspension - Is bump steer and brake steer a lot worse now that the king pin axis doesn't hit the ground where the tire contacts the ground? Or do the new larger diameter wheels now bring the contact patch much closer to the king pin axis again? (hard to tell from the photos)

On the 16" KMX wheels, the bike is really stable at low or high speed. But yes, on those fat 22.5" tire, I have a non zero scrub radius. The bike is definitively harder to steer and less stable at high speed. It also become important to balance the wheels.

Very nice job Adam. Beautiful Trike.

I'd upgrade the motor controller to a Sabvoton or one of the other sinewave controllers, much nicer control on my Borg's Cromotor since I did that.

I'd also add a ham radio, with the trike you can carry stuff and have some radio fun! (At least while parked, the RFI is probably bad when motor is engaged.)

Enjoy!

adam333 said:
On the 16" KMX wheels, the bike is really stable at low or high speed. But yes, on those fat 22.5" tire, I have a non zero scrub radius. The bike is definitively harder to steer and less stable at high speed. It also become important to balance the wheels.

That's a shame. Wouldn't want to hit a pothole or kerb at speed with one wheel I imagine. Direct steering no doubt gives you less leverage to handle the peak loads as well. Tricky.

So, I hope you have a matching green rim planned for the rear wheel just to get the look perfect? :)

Love the new look, now its angry and mean looking with a wide stance. And in the dim light in the video that windwrap and those low hanging lights really make it stand out in a positive way.

Man that "flagpole" is a torn in my eye. Great looking trike, and then a flagpole in the back? A nice bright rear light would looks so much meaner.
As it is that pole kind of take away that bad boy look you got going there, flag poles kind of makes it mix of bad boy and accountant trike. :)
Those poles are mandatory? Like a fine if you get pulled over without one?

Hi! What did you use to mount the cycle analyst? I'm looking for a solution on my kmx recumbent.
regards Shane

Shane07 said:
Hi! What did you use to mount the cycle analyst? I'm looking for a solution on my kmx recumbent.
regards Shane

you might find something your looking for on this page

https://hostelshoppe.com/Bike-Accessories-Accessory-Mount/

adam333 said:
No, the flagpole is not mandatory, but the trike is so low that I almost got me killed 3 time from cars that "didn't saw me".

Since I have the flagpole, It is no longer an issue.

That problem is why I abandoned my first (and only) lowracer build, and developed the semi-recumbent CrazyBike2 instead, and stuck with "car driver height" seats after that, simply to ensure visibility (and my ability to see around cars, rather than having to look under them ;) ).

Around here, the flags and such don't really work--if you can't be directly seen, you're probably just a "construction sign" or something that can be run over with impunity. :(

But if you're bike/trike is big enough they might hurt their car when they do it, they're less likely to. ;)

Nice job, You might need some kind of mud guards on the back wheel of yours to protect her

I experienced a strong brake steering when I was installed a suspension kit on my father's Catrike 700.

He had two independent brake lever, one for the left and one for the right side:
independent%20brake%20lever_682x600.jpg

It was impossible to apply the same force on each side, and the brake steering was severe.

I made a Twin hydraulic disc brake kit controlled by one lever instead of two and now, the trike stop straight every times.

I also replaced my old cable brake kit on my KMX trike:
zoom%203_800x600.jpg

With my Twin hydraulic disc brake (DOT3 fluid):
mot%20brake%201-1_800x557.jpg

Braking power now feel strong without any hesitation:

Last edited:
Back