Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Hyena said:
Rix said:
If it aint set for 100-130%, it don't get ridden by Rix :twisted:
The old binary throttle huh ? Either on or off :mrgreen:

That cargo bike, neat utility machine
It's a ridiculous great hulking thing :lol:
Though no doubt would be good for select tasks. The steering is... uh, interesting. Even under pedal power. I guess you'd get used to it.
I haven't wired up the battery yet with with only 6" rotors front and rear for brakes and a H4080 running 18S lipo it's going to be hard to pull up!
It certainly isn't the way I'd have recommended going about building it but the guy already had the all the parts so I'm just assembling it.

Yah! Binary throttle, it funny about that over % setting, I got a couple pics emailed me about programming my 24FET controller, crystalyte program module is kind of self explanatory, my question was, you can insert just about any value, doesn't mean it will work though. Otherwise I would put 200% thinking the bigger the number the better :lol: :oops: :shock: :? Could you imagine if I sent that controller to kepler with a card that said, Hey Kep, program this thing to hit hard at 200%, he would think I was the biggest dumbshit to throw a leg over an Ebike.

Hyena said:
Sorry haven't been around much lately, busy with half a dozen projects and zero spare time.
No I've never had any rub on my forks. Sounds like you need a bit more pressure in there if you're bottoming out.

Here's my latest build in the works, the atomic raptor Mk II :)
It's basically the opposite of my previous atomic build so everything black will be yellow and vise versa.

Moto rims front and rear, sabvoton running 10kw, 24ah battery, schlumpf, quad piston magura brakes, carbon this and that - should be sweet. The only problem with building all these nice looking bikes is I have to hand them over when they're done!
This one will be getting a custom sticker scheme too which I'm working on now. It's a bit of an experiment but it should turn out OK. Easily removed if not!

View attachment 1

Oh yeah, and Pendragon send me this cool 3D printed plaque a while back, thanks mate it now lives here on the back of my work bench :)

[]

I normally don't like bright colors, at all, but this canary yellow frame with the black forks looks so pre 84 Yamaha YZ MX old school cool that I would consider a build with this paint color.

Rix said:
my question was, you can insert just about any value, doesn't mean it will work though. Otherwise I would put 200% thinking the bigger the number the better :lol:
heh yeah within reason. It think 120% is actually as high as you can go, though that's on infineon style controllers and the newer sine ones seem to allow the equivalent of higher % ratios. I guess they channel the dark arts better than their predecessors.

I do find some utility in having lower speed settings and with the CA taking an aux pot for smooth, variable power limits I've been meaning to put a dial on the top of my frame and having a custom sticker made up to go around the outside. Naturally it will go up to 11 :mrgreen:

And yeah, the atomic MkII is looking pretty sweet! I actually had more custom atomic theme livery for it but the new owner has decided not to fit it and stuck with the largely standard sticker pack for now and maybe fit it later. Once the stickers are on the either have to stay there or peel back off so you can't really change your mind much. I really must get and finish this bike off!
Here's the battery for it, an exact shape 21S12P pack that just shoe horns in there . Best of all it takes up exactly half the width of the frame, allowing the sabvoton to lay vertical along side it, with the BMS and shunt and anything else I need to put in there. I'm thinking I might actually make up a ply wood board to mount it there, so it doesnt move around. Foam would largely achieve the same but I'd have to totally surround it and jam it in tight and the floating board mount would allow greater convective air cooling.
Technically with an external controller I could fit 2 of these packs in here for 21S24P.
No, that's not a typo. With 3.5ah cells that's a rediculous 84ah and 6.5kwhr :shock:.

yellow-raptor.jpg

Oh yeah, and for those who aren't subscribed to my youtube channel here's my latest vid. 2 10kw raptors tearing it up :)

[youtube]ajv3i4rEaP0[/youtube]

Technically with an external controller I could fit 2 of these packs in here for 21S24P.
No, that's not a typo. With 3.5ah cells that's a rediculous 84ah and 6.5kwhr :shock:.

Damn, that would have 300km range :shock: . My ass would be sore as a mofo. Would also weigh a bit. Just goes to show the potential of LI Cell technology. Watch this vid a few times now. Its a great vid, and considering the broken foot, impressive.

Hey Jay, do you have any shots of the that Raptor battery pack before it was wrapped (so we can see the cells and welds)?

I am toying with the idea of building a pack for my 140 using riba2233's new spot welder kit and having that perfect layout to copy would be awesome.

Rix said:

Damn, that would have 300km range :shock: . My ass would be sore as a mofo. Would also weigh a bit. Just goes to show the potential of LI Cell technology. Watch this vid a few times now. Its a great vid, and considering the broken foot, impressive.

damn mate... even flogging it thats well over 60km, probably well over 100. also would mean peak discharges of 480A!! 0-guage wire and 40kw, here we come... :twisted: :twisted:

Hyena said:

I have 3,5kwh in my raptor and i would say you cant have enough kwh.
The only downside is the weight.
But i have the "old" 25r cells, with these 3500mah cells, i would save a lot weight.
But, "unfortunately" i will, or have to use this pack till the cells fading badly, so no new cells for me..... :cry:

Its really nice to have more kwh, you can use the battery from 40-80% and get many many cycles, or you dont need to worry when you need to charge next.
I charge only at work, but i can ride at the weekend without running out of electrons.

For me its not the range with one charge, you dont ride this normally in one trip.

With 6,5kwh i would go 400 - 500km when going max 45-50kmh with lots of pedaling, or go crazy for 250km.......that would be awesome.

So, where was I :p

As I mentioned in the flux thread last week I've been crook for a while and had to drop all things ebike while I recovered. Not as bad as last time thankfully but still out of action none the less. I'm now getting back into it and have a mountain of old video footage to edit.
While drained of energy I decided to get back into an older hobby that didn't require much effort and bought myself a new drone, a DJI phantom 3. Even the entry level one is an impressive bit of kit and I'm looking forward to making some sweet ebike videos :mrgreen:
I'll upload a few vids shortly that I shot with a mate who has a phantom 2. I'll definitely need to organise someone to come with me to either fly or ride. Even with the new 'follow me' feature on the P3 I can't really trust it around here not to fly into a tree or something.
Here's a vid of my first outing, chasing around my little bloke riding his bike and my e-scooter.

[youtube]hIN257e7auc[/youtube]

This weekend I got away for easter with the family and it was the first time I'd ridden an ebike in about 6 months. Nice to be back in the saddle of my electric broom stick and twist that instant wind noise generator that I believe everyone else calls a throttle :p
It was a bit of a last minute throw together for the long weekend. In usual fashion I've been flat out organising stuff for other people and have neglected my own ride. This isn't the final config but it was good enough to take away for the weekend.
Temporarily it's running a sabvoton, 22S 10ah lipo pack and a super minimalist battery gauge. It's actually good enough though if not going on long treks where you want to squeeze the most from the pack. I kinda dig the simplicity of these gauges.

flux-1.jpg

The final config for my alpha though will likely be a 20S 32ah pack (multistars) running an adaptto max e.
I did make a noob mistake when rushing to get this ready in time for my trip away - I crimped on some andersons for the charge wires and fed them through through the frame, but forgot to put the housings on before plugging in the other end of the harness some time later. Result: KAPOW. Doh! :oops:

View attachment 3

Anyway I got it done and had a good weekend, jumping between the alpha and a little 125cc pit bike I bought for my wife .

View attachment 1

After roaring around on the pit bike I jumped back on the alpha and zipped off in the same fashion. I thought "geez the front end on this is light and smooth compared to the pit bike" then went to turn and thought my stem was loose until I quickly realised the reason it was so light was because the front wheel must have been lifted just off the ground the whole time I was accelerating. haha.
I don't know if it's just my down time or what but she's a toey bugger! Even my bloody 600 doesn't lift like that!

Oh, did I mention I bought a new moto ? I must somewhat shamefully admit that I have not been faithful to silent 2 wheeled pursuits.
I recently added a CBR600 to my stable. I wasn't looking for a supersport motorcycle, it just kinda happened. Sorry :lol:
It has a similar top speed to my old moto... IN FIRST GEAR. Psycho bloody thing :mrgreen:

cbr600.jpg

More pics of the alpha, my work in progress beta and other builds to follow.

Nice vid, can't wait to see HEB builds in action with the Drone, should be tops. Also nice bike. CBR600 is a good bike.

Cowardlyduck said:
Was wondering where you got to Jay. Thanks for the update. I'm also looking to getting a quadcopter camera, but been holding off till they make one that can properly avoid trees, etc.

Move to Nevada, no trees. :mrgreen:

Cowardlyduck said:
I'm also looking to getting a quadcopter camera, but been holding off till they make one that can properly avoid trees, etc.
That would be the new phantom 4, announced a week or 2 ago. I was spewed when I saw it announced, just a few weeks after I bought mine. Until I saw the price. $2400. Ouch.

Here's my latest build, essentially finished minus stickers on the swing arm and fixing a minor chain alignment issue.
Atomic Raptor MkII 8)

atomic13.jpgatomic11.jpg

Close.
21S 24ah battery, sabvoton and cro-clone running 10kw peaks. 19" moto rims front and rear.
I actually make the battery all on one side and then stand the controller on it's side on a bracket. It leaves a good air gap but it's fiddly so I'll probably avoid doing this in the future. Originally I was trialling making the batteries like this with the view of potentially running 2 internally like this for huuuuge capacity.

sabby.jpg

Hyena said:
Close.
21S 24ah battery, sabvoton and cro-clone running 10kw peaks. 19" moto rims front and rear.
I actually make the battery all on one side and then stand the controller on it's side on a bracket. It leaves a good air gap but it's fiddly so I'll probably avoid doing this in the future. Originally I was trialling making the batteries like this with the view of potentially running 2 internally like this for huuuuge capacity.

Got that concealed well. Your builds as always, are top notch.

very um... well, yeah it's.... Atomic Raptor is now the definition of conspicuous eBike. Like a sliding scale of Kepler Carbon to Hyena Yellow we can now judge how well an eBike blends in ;D

t3sla said:
very um... well, yeah it's.... Atomic Raptor is now the definition of conspicuous eBike. Like a sliding scale of Kepler Carbon to Hyena Yellow we can now judge how well an eBike blends in ;D
Classic!

Looking good Jay.
Well done with the vid and thread update. Finally some multi rotor video . My uncle is considerinv buying a flux kit from you. Might get a second hand stealth but he tryed my 6kw monster and calibrated his decision making based on what that felg like.

So anyway im wondering how you rate those multistar bricks?
Im looking at the 4s 16,000mah 10c with an adapto mid e.

Are they like 1c average is ok?

t3sla said:
haha yeah I just build what the customer asks for!
This won't be ridden in CBD areas and I suspect the only people who will notice it are the govt agencies watching from orbit :p

Ken, re: the flux, yeah building from scratch would be better than stripping down a used stealth, unless you got one really cheap.
Multistars and mini would be OK. With 32ah you'll be fine. Running 1p with a 16ah pack would be pushing 4C which would probably still be OK if just for peaks. They claim 10C but they're closer to 2-3C. I think the newer ones are actually sold as 2C. If you can fit 32ah that's the sweet spot. I bought a bunch of the 'old style' 25C turnigys and it's a little depressing that for the same volume of those you'll only fit half the capacity of the multistars. I'm looking at 15ah 22S with 25C packs in my alpha and for maximum power (running them at 10C with a max e) there's no trade off. But it's a hard pill to swallow when you can have double the range from multistars if you're happy with lower peak power. I'll still always have room for a big bruiser in my stable but I think my beta running 5kw is where I'll be spending most of my time. Power wheelies are fun but I can't afford for one to catch me by surprise. In the short time I've ridden my new 10kw alpha it lifted the front wheel a few times when coming out of corners. Did I mention previously I now have severe osteoporosis as a result of my treatment ? They give you a scale of normal and abnormal and my last bone scan showed my bones were abnormally bad, even if I was 100 years old! No margin for error in my riding these days :|

Back