Electric "tough bike"

vax said:
Controller is that one:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/24-mosfets-48-72V-60-100A-3000W-sinusoidal-wave-brushless-controller-Suit-for-1000-2000W-DC/2018435975.html

I actually got it for free, since it took very long to arrive, more than 2 months. I claimed the money back and received the controller a week later :D

Wasn't it a bit risky to buy such no name sinewave controller? How did you know that it really is sinewave? Was it that, you know now, that this one really is :) Does it's throttle feel the same as kelly controllers?

Yes of course it was risky. The controller is however very good. Compared to Kelly its very quiet. When riding I can hear only very slight high piched whine. I think its from internal turbulences between stator teeth and magnets, not controller made. Also, the controller is super smooth in action. 3 speed switch is nice. It limits speed to certain levels, but power remains the same so I can accelerate as usual.
The only negative thing about is very weak regen - almost nothing.

subscribed.

Maybe you are interested in the Vector frame from Artur Ragulskyi :)

Attention!
Please vote for my bike (project #27) : http://motorshow.ee
There's Tallinn Motor Show today and tomorow, and my bike is one of the hobby projects that competes for 1000€ prize.
I will invest this money to our next e-cruiser project, that will be awesome.

Thank you :D

Shanroy1 said:
Hi I was just wondering if you made the steering column or if it was purchased?
Steering column is 100% diy, with lathe
224178092c36f0_l.jpg

Hello Vax,
I'm very interested how you made rear frame connection with swing arm (axle). Could you elaborate about it little bit more. I'll put pic of what part specifically I'm interested. Could you give measurements of bearing socket and axle tube wall thinness
What other options to consider? Is it necessarily to use bearings or maybe bushings enough?

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 3,609
Ok here we go
If you use bearings, it is necesary to eliminate axle tensioning force from bearing balls. So, inside axle pivot, there's steel tube between bearing faces. Also, there's washer between frame and bearing outer face. Swingarm axle tightens everything together.
The bearings are standard 6302 with sealed sides. Basically the sockets are press fit, 0.02mm smaller than bearing outer diameter. Yes you can use bushings, but bearings give smoother movement and longer lifetime. I haven' experienced any bearing failure yet on that bike.
Axle tube is 40x2mm. Bearing sockets go through side plates and reach ca.10mm inside the tube. Finally, they are welded from both side, so it becomes quite strong.
You can download drawings, cut files, 3D CAD model of this bike from my grabcad page:
https://grabcad.com/library/electric-moped-with-aluminium-monocoque-1

Nice Ride ! it is always cool to follow a tread like this from the first raw Alu-Plate to a finished Bike !!!

Greetings
Martin

Thanks.
In meantime, we built this black chopper featured on video. It's actually Yamaha Dt125r enduro bike. Or was. 72V 40Ah LiFePO battery, 100A sinewave controller, 13' scooter hub motor. It doesnt even get warm, actually the batteries are limiting factor, they tend to sag under power.
It's very comfortable - yamaha link rear suspension with longer swingarm. 110km range etc
_20161112_002132.JPG

And once agin, it's repair time.
I made real axle stand for the bike, which broke motor cable just where it enters the axle.
So, I have to rewire everything. Also I had some trouble with spokes, radial pattern wasn't strong enough for motor torque.
The new idea is one hole shifted pattern - all the spokes at one side are tilted on same direction, one hole further. Ath the other side, spokes are tilted to other side.
I believe it's also called Fallon Lacing
249353790c1304_l.jpg

radialplus.jpg

Situation rght now:
24935375f059ce_l.jpg

24935377c9da70_l.jpg

It's been long time since I posted updates here.
I have been upgrading this bike, old 20ah LiFePO4 pack finally just wasn't good enough and also developed a lot of sag under the load. So I got crateful of "recycled" (thanks to my previous company) Samsung INR21700-50E cells, most of them almost new and rebuilt those to 20S12P pack along with AntBMS.
My friend also welded a new battery case and now the bike is almost ready to drive again. Actually I already made some mockup wiring and had the first rides, but there's no footpegs and the front brake has somehow lost all it's fluid without leaking (wormhole to another dimension?), I didn't try the top speed yet. So far I got around 70km/h on the empty road, but I needed long slow-down distances so didn't dare to try more.
Also, I have no charger yet, been using adjustable 120V power supply for that puropse...IMG_20230818_160525.jpgIMG_20230807_142905.jpgIMG_20230204_171100.jpg

Back