New Kelly pseudo FOC controller series

what REALLY sucks with this controller is, that it's not INSTANT OFF. if i release the throttle from WOT with an unloaded rear wheel, it takes 10s (!!!) for power to go from full power to zero.
i have set ACCEL TIME, ACCEL RELEASE TIME , BRAKE RELEASE TIME etc all to 0, but it doesn't help.
what have you guys observed? what values do you use?

Merlin said:
I am talking about my kls controller.
It's a speed throttle like the Infineon stuff.
The throttle tamer is MAYBE something that fits your needs.

Have you read the topic from zombies?

Sold out. :(

izeman said:
what REALLY sucks with this controller is, that it's not INSTANT OFF. if i release the throttle from WOT with an unloaded rear wheel, it takes 10s (!!!) for power to go from full power to zero.
i have set ACCEL TIME, ACCEL RELEASE TIME , BRAKE RELEASE TIME etc all to 0, but it doesn't help.

ehrm....
i think i have everything set to 1 to get fastest feedback from that bitch :D
but 10sec?

how does this handle with a loaded wheel? does your controller give throttle after releasing it?

Merlin said:
how does this handle with a loaded wheel? does your controller give throttle after releasing it?
yes it does. and it must be some kind of weird code config error.
the manual says (depending on the parameter) that valid inputs are 1~250. whereas 1 means 0.1s and 250 means 25s. so i would need to set 100 to have a 10s decline for the throttle signal. but i have NOT. you can even set it to ZERO, which is not in the valid range. this is strange.

izeman said:

Izeman, I had this issue when I first set up the kart.
I have a strange suspicion I found two Accel Release Time setting spots and I had to set them both to 1 for it to work.
Not sure if that was just the odd version of the software I had or normal. Will check when back in the shed.

I found an image of what I was talking about, see the two Accel Release time settings!

file.php

izeman said:
thanks. so the picture you've posted shows WRONG values? and both ACCEL value have to be set to 1? correct?
well ... THIS IS STRANGE. didn't change a thing. tested it this morning, after haven't ridden since it happened last friday. and guess what: the problem is GONE !! WTF !! how can this happen?
so this issue is solved for now ... until tomorrow maybe? ;)

izeman said:
well ... THIS IS STRANGE. didn't change a thing. tested it this morning, after haven't ridden since it happened last friday. and guess what: the problem is GONE !! WTF !! how can this happen?
so this issue is solved for now ... until tomorrow maybe? ;)

i once noticed a strange problem with performance after programming. i was setting higher amps, but the controller had poor performance during the first few rides. after disconnecting and connecting again the battery (also a few times) it worked as it should.
since that i always flash the settings two times (with removing power or disconnecting all wires between) and i never had to deal again with this issue.

Here's my set up, KLS7250D, 74V 62Ah Leaf modules, 5KW QS Motor hub with 12 inch rim on a Vespa like scooter. Twisting the throttle abruptly, I get a smooth acceleration for the first second than the power ramps up so fast I really have to hold on to the handle bar. Because the power is delivered smoothly for the first second I am thinking that this is why I can't do a burnout. If I'm right, which setting do I have to adjust to be able to make a burnt out.

Thanks
Ray

so i'm having some trouble with my motor,

Enertrac 602, 12 pole motor, KV is 9.4rpm/Vpeak

Controller: KLS96601-8080I,24V-96V,600A,Sinusoidal BLDC Motor Controller

Having significant difficulty getting any kind of power to run through it, seems to be related tp KP/KI settings.

Anyone have any experience or educated guesses on which way to go with these settings?

Attachments

• kelly_settings.png
    kelly_settings.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 3,738
Hi. Any news about serial communication in this forgotten thread? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71671#p1089258 . User tuxadmi translate realtime communication to usable form!

Im interested in hearing anyone's review / experience with the android app as a display alternative..
Ive tested it [without a controller] and know it doesnt screen flip.
But whats its accuracy like , good ,bad ect , any and all input is appreciated
And what real-time parameters have you been monitoring.

which android app are you talking about? did i miss that?
i only know the configuration app. this app has a MONITOR tab, but this is next to useless. yes. it shows voltage and amps etc. but eg phase amps are fluctuating a lot and it neither possible to see the actual amps nor the max amps. it's ok to see if all halls are working. but this is nothing you need on the road it guess.
and same goes for rpm.
i would like to see a graph drawing feature. so enable what value you like to see and have those values plotted on a graph. so you enable monitoring of eg throttle voltage, phase amps, battery amps, battery voltage and then a graph is drawn which can be analysed after the ride.
THAT would be usefull. :)

Yeah thats it , how is the accuracy on voltage, motor temp, and anyway getting motor speed to output in kph.
And yeah agree on having logging , but dont hold your breath as there is a bit of selective answering going on.
They have started in the right direction with the config prog , but they have only tapped into basic potential, as far as a nice customize-able display interface is concerned.

kellly does NOTHING into adding new features. the controller and the app are out now for month, and there was one update to firmware which involved ordering a new controller as the firmware was not upgradeable in controller.
so i would not expect anything.
i GUESS that data output of the controller is accurate. at least the values shown in the app seems reasonable. but they are useless in the given form. one would need a serial logging device and some analytic program to build the graphs after the ride.
it also depends on update frequency. phase amps rise and decline so fast, that you need eg 10 readings per second to generate a meaningful graph. i don't know if the serial interface can provide that.

Just throwing a question out there regarding the wiring of the new controller.

I have looked at the diagrams for connecting up both controllers and there looks to be differences. I have a harness I used off a Chinese built E-moto scooter so was hoping to be able to wire into the harness without too much trouble, however it does look like I may have to build a new harness from scratch. I'll have to study the current harness to better understand the layout and how to wire to the newer controller.

I was thinking to make a middle harness to allow me to still use the KEB incase of any issues with the KLS. Anyway thoughts on this would be great.

View attachment 1

KLS.png

So I'm trying to setup a kls7250d controller on a ME0913 motor. This is going in a small electric city car I'm building. I'm running 20S battery pack with a nominal voltage of 72V peak at 84V. For some reason the thing doesn't seem to have much getup and go. The car only weighs about 500lbs and I can't even spin the tire on gravel (it's a 3wheeler, two front, one rear). Could someone with some experience look at these settings and tell me if I've got something way wrong.

any help would be welcome.

Jesse

page1.jpg
page2.jpg
page3.jpg

easier to do if you resize them to <800px wide and insert them directly into the post.
btw: i don't see anything totally wrong. you may play with torque kp,ki values and see if it helps.
on the other hand it didn't look up the current rating of the controller, so no idea what power you are expecting.

yea, tried to embed to the text but for some reason didn't.

what do you mean by "it didn't look up the current rating of the controller"?

Back