DIY Trampa long 35 E-MTB | Dual VESC | Sensored EMAX GT5345

Motor mounts finally finished! I milled support braces today, bead blasted everything and will give it to get anodized, can't decide on color scheme, all black or black support braces/bronze motor mounting plates. Sprockets will be chemically hot blued (and be black as a result).

Mf5txQIh.jpg

l61XV5Bh.jpg

cNF5wMqh.jpg

ILz6oPth.jpg

1izPbzLh.jpg

d3eZE9Zh.jpg

looks great ! I wish I could have access to milling ! I have to get SW installed and start learning 3D at some points but I am using a mac... and putting bootcamp will probably messup my whole system !

So freakin' cool, I want to see you ride this! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm about to get his slimmer bro', GT5335 in low Kv for twin hubs. Less wild than your monsters but ride gear is lighter so there might be some competitive power to pull! Where are you located btw?

okp :arrow: If you manage to install SW on your Mac I'll gladly help out at the best of my knowledge :wink:

Vanarian said:
So freakin' cool, I want to see you ride this! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm about to get his slimmer bro', GT5335 in low Kv for twin hubs. Less wild than your monsters but ride gear is lighter so there might be some competitive power to pull! Where are you located btw?

okp :arrow: If you manage to install SW on your Mac I'll gladly help out at the best of my knowledge :wink:

Thanks, I'm from Poland and study in Cracow, but originally from area of Katowice (that's where my workshop is). This EMAX motor looks decent made, didn't have chance to compare it to anything, but I disassembled it and everything looked fine and quality made. I think You'll be satisfied. The fact that mine have hall sensors should give them extra kick at low rpm :twisted:

@okp, I use autocad on my macs, got rid of windows computers few years back, and I'm really fine with it :D Using CNC mill would make this whole project a lot easier, this manual milling has cost me maybe 30-40 hours of my life... But designing anything on a computer has this advantage over sketching on a paper that You can change anything anytime, and it keeps proportions and other features as parallelity and perpendicularity and allows You to measure everything correctly, so yeah it helps.

And the colour scheme decision crysis solved itself, they didn't have brown dye at anodizing plant, orange was sort of close but I didn't wanted to risk so kept it safe and chose to anodize everything black.

Managed to finish this beast today! It's AWESOME, love VESC and BLDC tool for programming, it's not so difficult as it looked at the beginning. Speed, power and handling, really impressive. As it was already dark when I was ready to test it, for now are only pics in artificial light, it does not show the beauty of this black anodized mounts. I'm really happy how it turned out, and I learned a lot!

And now of course some pics :p

Here is how I mounted battery case to the deck, I cut rubber spacers out of 5mm thick rubber, and made special treaded plates out of steel, protruding nut could damage battery. Rubber allows deck to flex and dampens vibrations.

klt569Hh.jpg

YKlcqkmh.jpg

Here is ampmeter screen, it uses 200A shunt to measure current, it's mounted in electronics case. Nice feature.

tRjUVHDh.jpg

And final product of over 4 months of reaserch and development :D

Z7NSHHqh.jpg

Hfb3ttXh.jpg

chprf7gh.jpg

Ed. I just noticed that one of bindings cracked... that weird as I did only short test ride. E-mailed Trampa, will see how this goes on.

ZH3VhdYh.jpg

@ Squad
Impressive work there dude, really stunning ride you have created.
Thank you for sharing all you good work. Guys like yourself give ideas and inspiration and that is what this forum should be all about.

rmrf said:
Beautiful. How do you turn the light on/off? :)

Thanks guys! You can see I have 2 switches on electronics case, upper one is power, lower front light. Here's the pic

FdZHfUHh.jpg

And the rig itself in natural light:

LgC0eu3h.jpg

SBvrNi2h.jpg

lvNn76Zh.jpg

tGCd669h.jpg

And I already scratched one of the support braces on asphalt trying wheelie, too much throttle...

mawyqNIh.jpg

Ted will send me new footstraps, chemicals from carbon imitating layer somehow reacted with the material and it snapped. Ted is working with factory to solve this, that's why carbon footstraps are not available for now.

really great build :D

about the bindings: when I ordered my trampa, I couldnt get the carbon coloured bindings (the ones you have), because they were prone to breaking and ted took all boards off the stores with those. so, will probably handled by warranty :)

benj said:
Beautiful :) And aggressive looking :D Hope it rides as good as it looks!

Oh men, it does, believe me :D It's super aggresive, and the best of hall sensors in my opinion for now are the breakes, it allows to fully stop and, even if it's steep, with breakes applied on nunchuck it stands still.

Ed. Had to break really hard, the wheels stopped, tires lost traction and slided on asphalt, as a result of that I ended up on the ground. Riding this board is definietly more difficult than a regular e-longboard :D but at the same time it's so fu**ing awesome :twisted:

I was just playing arround and riding board forward and backward with no load in my flat when all of a sudden sometning blew up inside electronics case and smoke showed up. Inspection showed that my super high current rated (200A) mosfet IXFN200N07 blew up, VESCs and everything else look fine. Damn, this scared me... I guess it's because of regen breaking, I left it as default at 20A... :?

Oh man thats sounds not good!
What is this this high current mosfet good for? Got no clue about... Do you addet it by yourself?

About the bindings, as i know Trampa this will be absolutely warranty covered (-;

Jenso

nowind said:
Oh man thats sounds not good!
What is this this high current mosfet good for? Got no clue about... Do you addet it by yourself?

About the bindings, as i know Trampa this will be absolutely warranty covered (-;

Jenso

This mosfet with a small driver is an antispark "switch",that acts as Your loop key. It's pretty much the same as vedder anti spark switch except I used larger mosfet. I just have normal small switch which controls high current, that's the idea. It exploded at 2 source connectors, I guess current from regen did it.

I emailed with Ted already, he told me that he'll send spare ones today :)

dNj6CYyh.jpg

Just quick thought: If I would connect diode capable of conducting this 20A (dual VESC so 40A regen) from drain back to source (opposite to normal conductance direction, which is from source to drain) of this mosfet this should prevent something like this from happening, as this current would bypass this mosfet and flow by diode, which would not conduct in normal conditions because would be placed opposite to conducting direction. If anyone is more familiar with electronics than me, some input would be welcome :wink:

Ed. F*** it! I ordered 40A diode and the same mosfet, in my imagination this should work.

Thanks for explanation :D
Hope the rest of the electronics are all ok!

You know how all electronics work? They work with smoke inside: If the smoke comes out the electronic parts is broken :mrgreen:

Greetz
Jenso

Update: Unfortunately one of the VESCs got damaged, I ordered new ones and am still waiting for 2 VESCs from chaka, (the one damaged will be repaired by him) in the meantime I decided to solve the problem of scratched support brace, I designed new one and milled it out of 12mm thick 7075 aluminium. It just needs to get anodized. New one has 2 casters on bearings, it acts as wheelie-bar in drag racing :D

KwQmpQgh.jpg

3X891yoh.jpg

mCdk4YYh.jpg

X5CYjc8h.jpg

ayckcCAh.jpg

ahaha, cool :D

I read you killed your vesc in the living room (enertion forums or so?). you probably went like full throttle break, repeat. you should check the live monitor of your vesc and watch the voltage. I had a similar problem with a loop key (yet unresolved), where I would induce large spikes against the current flow (full throttle -> voltage sags, full brake -> voltage spikes). i think thats how I killed my vescs, might be useful to check the cable lengths, loops for unnecessary inductances!

Back