New X-Max / TSDZ2 mid drive kit

I've looked into buying one as I like the idea of a torque sensor equipped bike at the same price as a Bafang, but it looks like the speed sensor is too short for my recumbent trike (from motor to wheel). If I extended it, the warranty would be invalidated...so do I take the risk... There's a chap at fatbike motor dot com who has taken one apart and looked into it; he thinks it's well made. Sklep e bike in Poland sell them.

I purchased the the TSDZ2 kit earlier this year but only recently connected it. Needed to extend most of the wiring for my recumbent trike. Have only tested it for about 1 km near where I live. Thus far the speed settings work well, as does the pedal assist with the torque sensor. However the monitor didn't turn on when I plugged it in, so had to wire a USB cable to it from the 36V battery...The other issue is that I can't get the cadence sensor to work on the rear wheel so neither the speed or the odometer show up on the screen. It is fairly quiet in operation. Will update on reliability, smoothness of pedal assist, hill climbing and trailer pulling ability when I've tested it for longer.

aja said:
I purchased the the TSDZ2 kit earlier this year but only recently connected it. Needed to extend most of the wiring for my recumbent trike. Have only tested it for about 1 km near where I live. Thus far the speed settings work well, as does the pedal assist with the torque sensor. However the monitor didn't turn on when I plugged it in, so had to wire a USB cable to it from the 36V battery...The other issue is that I can't get the cadence sensor to work on the rear wheel so neither the speed or the odometer show up on the screen. It is fairly quiet in operation. Will update on reliability, smoothness of pedal assist, hill climbing and trailer pulling ability when I've tested it for longer.
Nice, thinking of buying 1 also. Does this toothwheelhttp://www.alcedoitalia.it/shop/guarniture/corona-42-denti-per-bafang-centrale-bbs01/ fit on it? Does it support speeds over 25 km/h?

bgt said:
Nice, thinking of buying 1 also. Does this toothwheelhttp://www.alcedoitalia.it/shop/guarniture/corona-42-denti-per-bafang-centrale-bbs01/ fit on it? Does it support speeds over 25 km/h?

Haven't had time to test it any more yet, as have been working on making my trailer lighter and also been using my velomobile :)
The brakes were also making a loud noise on the trike so have to get that sorted first. Will be trying to fix this week so will update when I've tested this crank drive again.
Also, I'm not keen on the size of the cranks (170 or 175mm) that came with it and I'm trying to put on my 150mm cranks (which come with a triple chainring on the drive side); on that subject, don't worry about a bafang chainring, as it takes any 110 BCD ring.
I tried fitting my velomobile chainring to it and it fits fine; it also takes two chainrings but my front derailleur doesn't have the capacity to change the rings as the Q factor is wider with the crank motor. Useful to have two rings though as if the battery runs out one can move the chain down onto the smaller ring (in case of hills or heavy load).

You'd have to derestrict the motor to go faster than 25 kmh (if you want higher speed assist). I don't intend to try that myself.

Hi,

So I've been spending a lot of time researching e-bikes lately, specifically wanting to create a good full suspension e-bike. I rode a Haibike and that was amazing but I wasn't ready to spend over NZ$6000! Especially when I already have a nice bike. Having spent time researching and riding I realised that a torque sensor is really important for off-road use. And like the others here I came across the TSDZ2 and took the plunge.

So, what do I think? The motor and display all seem very nicely made. The motor delivers plenty of power and shoves me up my very steep driveway with no problem at all - even driving a very high gear due to the large chainring. The torque sensor definitely works and you can feel the dollops of power being delivered as you push down with each peddle stroke. And here's where I come to the problems:

1) It does literally deliver power with each peddle stroke. As the peddles move along the horizontal plane you aren't activating the torque sensor and power drops off dramatically. There seems to have been no attempt to smooth this out in the controller at all.

2) With road use I find it almost pointless as it delivers virtually no assist unless you're pushing a gear so high that you need to be peddling really hard. Even at maximum setting you don't feel any assist unless you're accelerating.

3) Mine didn't come with the programming cable and I'm struggling to buy one

4) I fitted a 34 tooth chainring by grinding off a little off the end of each mount point - to stop it interfering with the chain. This certainly helped gearing but because it isn't an offset chainring there is a lot of chain bend when driving the largest rear sprocket.

So while this unit shows a huge amount of potential and has the ability to deliver plenty of torque sensored assist, the implementation is not good. Maybe I can improve it if I manage to get hold of a programming cable. I really hope so.

I'd love to hear other peoples experience. Maybe together we can work out how to improve this unit. Or maybe we can collectively respond to Tongsheng Bicycle Co and get them to make some changes. Who knows :)

Cheers, Turhan

Hi Turhan,

Thanks for your contribution; I have been using the TSDZ2 unit for the last month and a half and it's working well; a couple of issues remain:
Still have to plug display into battery USB socket for it to work.
When pedalling it makes a squeaking noise, like you would find on a squeaky door hinge. I have started delineating the variables and it only squeaks when the cranks are rotated forwards, not backwards so it's some part of the axle not the chainring or crank arm interface. It squeaks when the motor is off or on.
I use it with a 56 chainring and 145mm cranks and it works well, though when my cadence increases the power assist reduces. I use it with a 36V 14.5Ah battery pack.
I have posted on another pedelec forum today about the squeaking (as it's starting to annoy me!) but if I don't have a response I'll have to re-assemble tomorrow (as I use my velomobile plus trailer for work) and try to resolve it another time.

Andrew

Hi,

Thanks for the posts, very interesting. I am considering the TSDZ2 and have found little info from people who have tried this motor. Did you find out anything more on programming/ customizing the control of this motor? Seems there is a video on how to unlock the speed limit at least here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg2ZSOApIo8. (Found it on this thread at an Italian forum http://www.jobike.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=69823 which provided some insight.)

Cheers
Lars

Hi,

I translated the text in video;

start the engine by pressing the on button
press both the on and the button ("i" ?) for 3 seconds
press 4 times the button ("i" ?) until the menu select wheel diameter
in wheel diameter menu "of" press the + or - button until the correct value
menu 'cc number of wheel magnets, leave to 0001
select units' of measurement, press + or - to switch between km/ h or mile/ h
function 6 km/h press + ok - to activate or deactivate the function
limit 25 km / h press + ok - to activate or deactivate the speed limit
by quickly pressing the button, you can not turn on and turn off the light display
press on button to turn the engine off and save your settings

Seems there are at least three advanced settings which are not explained in video;

Sd - 25
A - 16
( ) - EUR

I suppose the "A - 16" is the amp setting, where one can increase the power of a 250 W unit to 350 W? Would be interesting to know what effect the other settings have and if any of them will allow for a more smooth assist.

Cheers
Lars

If anyone knows if this will squeeze on to a 73mm BB please let me know. I would like to give it a try.

if this will squeeze on to a 73mm BB please let me know.
Yes, at pswpower.com you can choose 73mm BB size version.
http://pswpower.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2015-93-QDKT.6P4CE

And there's a new display called XH18-LCD . Looks quite pretty.
5HFG3S_E899V.jpg

larsottar said:
Hi,

I translated the text in video;

start the engine by pressing the on button
press both the on and the button ("i" ?) for 3 seconds
press 4 times the button ("i" ?) until the menu select wheel diameter
in wheel diameter menu "of" press the + or - button until the correct value
menu 'cc number of wheel magnets, leave to 0001
select units' of measurement, press + or - to switch between km/ h or mile/ h
function 6 km/h press + ok - to activate or deactivate the function
limit 25 km / h press + ok - to activate or deactivate the speed limit
by quickly pressing the button, you can not turn on and turn off the light display
press on button to turn the engine off and save your settings

Seems there are at least three advanced settings which are not explained in video;

Sd - 25
A - 16
( ) - EUR

I suppose the "A - 16" is the amp setting, where one can increase the power of a 250 W unit to 350 W? Would be interesting to know what effect the other settings have and if any of them will allow for a more smooth assist.

Cheers
Lars

Hi Lars, have you had any joy with changing the settings? I have my A set to 16 which i presume is 16ah. Would it be worth upping this to 18? would that make any difference?

Have you been able to reprogram the torque settings with use of a cable and computer? There is a short Youtube video but not much explanation.

Thanks

Hi,

So I've been spending a lot of time researching e-bikes lately, specifically wanting to create a good full suspension e-bike. I rode a Haibike and that was amazing but I wasn't ready to spend over NZ$6000! Especially when I already have a nice bike. Having spent time researching and riding I realised that a torque sensor is really important for off-road use. And like the others here I came across the TSDZ2 and took the plunge.

So, what do I think? The motor and display all seem very nicely made. The motor delivers plenty of power and shoves me up my very steep driveway with no problem at all - even driving a very high gear due to the large chainring. The torque sensor definitely works and you can feel the dollops of power being delivered as you push down with each peddle stroke. And here's where I come to the problems:

1) It does literally deliver power with each peddle stroke. As the peddles move along the horizontal plane you aren't activating the torque sensor and power drops off dramatically. There seems to have been no attempt to smooth this out in the controller at all.

2) With road use I find it almost pointless as it delivers virtually no assist unless you're pushing a gear so high that you need to be peddling really hard. Even at maximum setting you don't feel any assist unless you're accelerating.

3) Mine didn't come with the programming cable and I'm struggling to buy one

4) I fitted a 34 tooth chainring by grinding off a little off the end of each mount point - to stop it interfering with the chain. This certainly helped gearing but because it isn't an offset chainring there is a lot of chain bend when driving the largest rear sprocket.

So while this unit shows a huge amount of potential and has the ability to deliver plenty of torque sensored assist, the implementation is not good. Maybe I can improve it if I manage to get hold of a programming cable. I really hope so.

I'd love to hear other peoples experience. Maybe together we can work out how to improve this unit. Or maybe we can collectively respond to Tongsheng Bicycle Co and get them to make some changes. Who knows :)

Cheers, Turhan
Good read. Thank you. Well, it is now 2023 and I am embarking on this TSDZ2b motor. Im experiencing everything you've mentioned especially the Road bike riding part. I gathered it is possible to slip in a larger chainring of 48-50T to activate the Torgue sensing mechanism. It goes but not the power I was dreaming of.— I may have misunderstood the design until I read your post. There is a USB port at the VCLD display for uploading the OSF but I don't know anything about that (yet). Thanks,

Good read. Thank you. Well, it is now 2023 and I am embarking on this TSDZ2b motor. Im experiencing everything you've mentioned especially the Road bike riding part. I gathered it is possible to slip in a larger chainring of 48-50T to activate the Torgue sensing mechanism. It goes but not the power I was dreaming of.— I may have misunderstood the design until I read your post. There is a USB port at the VCLD display for uploading the OSF but I don't know anything about that (yet). Thanks,
The usb port has nothing to do with uploading firmware. It’s just for power eg charging a phone.

To install one of the OSF’s you need to use an ST-link programmer, and flash the motor itself at minimum. Plenty of threads on here about it.

The usb port has nothing to do with uploading firmware. It’s just for power eg charging a phone.

To install one of the OSF’s you need to use an ST-link programmer, and flash the motor itself at minimum. Plenty of threads on here about it.
Thank you. For now, I will just be using -everything Stock- It's still a learning curve and fun. Please tell me if this is true. Someone posted on YouTube without a single word but showing an incredible RPM !!! with this very same TSDZ2 BUT with his 62V battery!! I am using a 48V on my 750W TSDZ2. thank you

Back