Need ideas for a non-invasive battery mount on eboard!

theviith

1 µW
Hey all, so I would like some ideas/inputs on how I can mount my homemade battery and electronic box onto my eboard without drilling any holes on the deck.

Currently, I am using Velcro straps to hold up the box as shown in the picture. But as you can see, it is not very stable and sometimes falls off the board upon bumps on the road.

Thus, I was wondering if anyone have any ideas on how to mount the battery/electronic box onto the skateboard deck so that it is both secure and removable.

Someone suggested some kind of a steel clamp to the edges of the board but that requires heavy machinery which I do not have access to.

So preferably, I am looking for a simpler solution that does not require wielding or cutting steel, etc.

Any help would be very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20160420_221501.jpg
    20160420_221501.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 1,606
Just use "power velcro" like the one hobbyking solds. Or the original from Tesa.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__79297__Polyester_Hook_Loop_Velcro_V_STRONG_1mtr_.html

Greetz

I can understand not wanting to drill through the deck but would thread inserts be an option?
Of course you would still have to drill the holes for the inserts but these would not go through the deck so would not be visible from the top. (If that is the concern)

thanks nowind and weechumlee for the inputs. Should I ever need to resort to drilling the board, I would definitely consider thread inserts.

But it wouldn't be until I've exhausted every conservative option.

Reason being that the board looks and feels too nice to be ruined with holes interrupting the design lol. Additionally, I prefer to have the box easily detached from the board since I often switch between eboarding and regular longboarding.

The fingers said:
Would Gorilla snotting some powerful flat/flexible magnets to each board, and a thin piece of galvanized sheet steel scrap to the box work? :|

I think the box might be a little too heavy for the magnets. Also, I'm not too sure about having such strong magnets next to the electronics, might interfere with the radio signal or even damage the electrical circuits.

But good thinking though, thanks

Magnets shouldn't harm electronics, except: harddrives, some displays and maybe relays. But We don't use those ports anyway. Pls correct me if im wrong.

Nordle said:
Magnets shouldn't harm electronics, except: harddrives, some displays and maybe relays. But We don't use those ports anyway. Pls correct me if im wrong.

probably not, but I'm just concerned about the possible off-chance that it does, esp for the wireless radio waves, etc.

But thanks for the input!

There are already 8 holes drilled in your deck. It wont hurt it to strategically place a few more holes to protect your batteries and electronics. Trust me, I've seen what happens to batteries falling off boards riding behind a buddy @ 30mph. He too didn't want to drill his board..

Buy some velcro strips (the kind with the adhesive backing) and stick two pieces (rough side) to the top of your enclosure where the straps go across. Line them up with the loop/buckle end of the straps (I recommend two straps) and secure them on. Because the straps are felt material, they'll adhere to the rough velcro and prevent them from slipping. Your grip tape should keep them from slipping on the top side too. Keep it tight and you should have no problems. You can also put some foam strips between your enclosure and the deck. Not only will it keep it from moving around, but also help keep dirt and debris from getting inside. I've used the two-strap thing (minus the foam) and never had any problems. Let me know if you need more info and I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about.

i like the industrial 3m velcro. Super super strong hold. I also capture a small velcro band (usually used for wire management) under/between the deck and velcro and then up and around the battery as backup hold just in case.

20150802_210037.jpg

20150802_210115.jpg

HTH - GL!

I have temporarily been using velcro also. I got a 10 or 20 ft piece from the hardware store and cut some sections off. This should not be a permanent solution. I put drawer liner under the components and they have still managed to shift around during rides.

IMG_6007.JPG

I am in the process of building plastic pods.

How's ur wattmeter? Mine broke and I'm looking for another that's small.

Why not trim ur battery wires? Otherwise depending who u ask u should add capacitors.

How do u hold ur wires from the esc to the motor?

Do u put any padding between the vesc and board? I've got mine just velcroed and shrink wrapped as well and am lately experiencing something with the one against the board.

Back