what is in this bike (an elecTrek)? Voltage for hubs?

DrInnovation

100 W
Looking to replace my Lashout (it runs fine but I keep having to replace the planetary gear .. guess its my 200+ pounds and 10% grades.. (I'll fix it up and sell it for lighter people or flatlanders..)

Looking for an inexpensive but reliable replacement. Can anyone identify this bike
01717_54k6hS6NCBQ_600x450.jpg

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/5554939266.htm
The owner does not know what is the drive/watt or battery type.. I need something that can climb big hills (but short commute). It look to me like some type of mid-drive. And in general bikes Trek is a decent brand. I

Unrelated.. I'm looking at some hubs as well. All the 1000w seems to be 48v. If just do a hub on an existing bike I'd hope to reuse by current Battery which is LiPo +BMS system, 7s (25.9.. nominal up to about 30..)
In my current commute I normally charge to about 29.5 and discharge to 28 or so.
Could a 48v run on 25-30v? Can one run a 36v hub on 25-30v ? Is so what is the power loss for hill climbing?
Can most 24v hubs handle 30v or so?

The "48v" hubs will need at least 12s battery. the low voltage cutoff will be too high for any less.

Some bikes/kits can run 36 or 48v. they can run on 10 s minimum.

The trek is likely to be a very old school system. Likely 24v. it should be a worm drive type mid drive, notoriously loud.

I gave away a similar one last year, showing how much I value that kind of bike. But it will climb a hill. That's for sure, like all mid drives can. Just watch out for amp spikes from too high a gear, which blows controllers real easy on this type bike.

I'm just saying, 50 bucks tops, if you buy that thing.

dogman dan said:
The "48v" hubs will need at least 12s battery. the low voltage cutoff will be too high for any less.

Some bikes/kits can run 36 or 48v. they can run on 10 s minimum.

The trek is likely to be a very old school system. Likely 24v. it should be a worm drive type mid drive, notoriously loud.

I gave away a similar one last year, showing how much I value that kind of bike. But it will climb a hill. That's for sure, like all mid drives can. Just watch out for amp spikes from too high a gear, which blows controllers real easy on this type bike.

I'm just saying, 50 bucks tops, if you buy that thing.

Thanks.. since they want $420 for the trek I'll keep looking. Don't want something in an integrated but easily destroyed controller.

Back