Sabvoton SVMC072150 controller review, variable regen *PICS*

For those curious about the SSC-series controllers:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72706

I took my 48V/150A unit apart to see the guts. I'm told it's more or less the same layout internally as a Sevcon Gen4. Looks like the low-voltage units still spec the same hardware as the higher voltage units, though I have no idea what's in the 96V model.

Food for thought!

Yup. A couple others are doing the same.

Seen any way to buy a SSC096080 shipped to the USA?
http://www.sabvoton.com/product/sabvoton-new-generation-96v-80a-sine-wave-motor-controller.html#.VjqhuNKrTs2

QS stopped carrying the Sabvoton units on aliexpress apparently; and in the last few months too! They do have a different model that's 96V capable, but it's more money than the last one. Don't even bother contacting Sabvoton through their inquiry button. Took them 3 months to give me a price last time.

I have 8 SSC096100's in stock. $429 with fuse, shunt, CA Connector 8 gauge wiring.
email: jwolf # dodecahedronsolutions.com

zombiess said:
I have 8 SSC096100's in stock. $429 with fuse, shunt, CA Connector 8 gauge wiring.
email: jwolf # dodecahedronsolutions.com
What size of shunt do you use on these? I have an SSC048150 I'll be powering up soon, figured I'd hook up my CAv3 at the same time.

Other than footprint when considering for a bike build? Hell yeah.

I'd say bulletproof for anything up to 100V and as large as a cromotor.

I have the 80A max sabvoton controller and I saw a manual that said you can do 100v. Have you head of any one running that voltage when the settings have been set for 100v? Also I cant get the controller to be recognized by my computer. Do you have to use Win XP?

Thanks,
Devin

IIRC... 4110 FETs are specced for 100 volt max. So the answer is of course maybe. Running close to the hairs edge on any component gets a bit iffy, and if the FETs aren't matched well they may cause failure if you're at or beyond the limits. Food for thought?

I finished my e-bike project today and just want to warn everyone to be careful with the "Accelerate time" setting on this controller.

According to my findings, when set somewhere above 3000ms, it will convert your e-bike to a death trap.
Everything seems fine, but after you apply even the tiniest amount of throttle, it will give full power and the throttle will also hang at full speed.

You can imagine what can happen if you have a powerful motor and make this mistake...

FYI a value higher than 2000ms is forbidden according to the manual appendix, but not everyone reads that.

Definitely a bug yes, the UI should not allow illegal input values.

I had kind of foreseen that something like this might happen so I added a 150amp mains switch to my bike. Just in case the other power switch fails to respond for some reason.

But in the heat of the moment, it is uncertain if you would be able to think clearly enough to turn off the power in time.

there are alot of "versions" of the controller software out....

which version did you use?

i dont know who fucks who in this sabvoton/motopulse relationship, but i got from motopulse a single .exe file
which is from 2015...

March.exe (1,8MB)
Version 1.0

I have a Sabvoton SSC72100 purchased from QS motor, I was able to install the USB software but dosent look like the controller is communication with the software, the TXled blinks but the RX does not as a result not able to configure the controller. Any one who can offer some help, would be really appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

i have the big SSC 098150 and it came with some software but i don't have the throttle mid volt or throttle mid amp control and it was making the bike VERY twitchy, so much so it twisted my axle in half actually.

what is the current, latest version of the Sabvoton software i have seen a few versions with different filenames and different options.

devmanner said:
Have you figured out how to use the sliding regeneration on the controller?

are you able to activate brake switch regen, but unable to activate slide regen, even if both are activated in the parameter software and their respective phase currents are set to identical values? then you may try to set your low throttle voltage to a slightly higher value and see if it helps. You want to make sure the controller sees the throttle sit safely under the low voltage threshold. I set my to 1.5V but could get away with a slightly lower voltage too.
i had the opposite problem with my SVMC072080 controller. the slide regen worked but brake switch regen didn't. i resolved this by increasing the brake-hi switch voltage from 5V (throttle line voltage) to 8.4V driven by a DC DC converter.

Got a pair of SSC 48060 controllers. Wrongly delivered without secondary 0-5V analog input for variable regen braking. New ones will be delivered, but looks like I will have to make-do with the current ones for a while.

Is there any way to modulate sliding mode or regen braking? I have a microcontroller in the HMI, so able to generate any kind of waveforms.

Back