Lithium Batteries Shipping Rules Discussions

the best way to ship lithium battery is DG (Dangerous Goods) container by sea under UN3480.

New rules for shipping lithium coming in a few days...

http://www.batterypoweronline.com/m...ld-for-shipping-lithium-ion-batteries-by-air/

http://www.labelmaster.com/lithium-battery-shipping

In February, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) —
the United Nations agency that regulates the transport of dangerous goods aboard aircraft — enacted a ban on transporting standalone lithium ion batteries (UN 3480) as cargo on passenger aircraft. The ban goes into effect April 1, 2016.
Since lithium metal batteries (UN 3090) were already prohibited, the new regulation means no standalone lithium batteries, in any quantity or packaging, may be shipped as cargo on passenger aircraft.

oh fuhhhh I just ordered a 3x battery setup specifically to be able to take it on a plane of max range while traveling! Crap!

Having a hard time reading and understanding the rules here... :roll: I am sending a 10s6p battery in the mail (not by air). The battery is obviously over 100Wh. Not shipping it with or in any equipment, just the battery... Is this allowed if I pack it regarding to LP 903, mark it as UN 3480, and with the "Lithium ion battery" label? Thanks for any help! :shock:

You might need to check with your local post office or shipping company (each might have different (stricter) rules of their own, vs the international ones).

circuit said:
My practice is that those companies have absolutely no idea how to ship batteries, even if they do ship dangerous goods. Questions about battery usually spook them off.

Sent from my MI 4i using Tapatalk
Exactly! I called one of them and had a nice long talk, with a lot of unanswered questions, and they referred me to this another company saying "no problem, they will take them". I then called the other company, and they could not give me a clear answer either... :?

That is actually a huge problem. I have talked with probably over 20 companies about this. Even though most of them do dangerous goods, only one company decided to "risk it", and at really high cost.
Just for the record, our batteries are 8 cells and 72Wh, packed in individual encloses as per all strict requirements. But they don't care.
So for now I guess the only way to do it is just send it as power supply, but package and label as required. I mean do it all properly, just don't ask what they think.

I detect some dodgy dealings. I had the perfect plan, take my bike to USA, buy battery (from a USA vendor), do some touring, bring bike home, send battery home.

I get replies quaffing about air transport rules and regs, boxing and expense. Even when i specifically ask about sea freight options they seem to avoid answers other than No. My freight forwarder said it was ok, Fedex ground and DHL sea freight but i'm weary of the situation where my battery is sitting in their warehouse and when the time comes they then baulk at sending.

We should have a battery exchange (or something) for touring ebikers!

How the hell is a company like EVOLVE SKATEBOARDS with over 500wh batteries shipping their boards around the world ?

Took my battery to the local post office the other day, nicely packed in one small box, put inside a bigger box with "over pack" label. Both boxes marked with "lithium ion batteries", nothing else. When I said what it was, the person behind the desk had to take a phone call... Of course :lol: The guy in the other end asked what UN number it was, and I said it was 3480. Sure, no problem, and the package was accepted. From the tracking information I can see that it is on its way :) Will give an update if/when it arrives!

The battery was delivered without any questions or problems. Guess I was lucky nobody checked what the contents was?

Just tried to order 16 18650 cells from Fastech (Sanyo 3500mahr 3.6V) - when finalizing order, NO, shipping options were available - they were all grayed out. I sent a note to them asking what my options are. Not a lot of hope here to ship batteries from them to US.
Side question - what US suppliers can anyone recommend.
Thanks

i have not been to these forums in a while and

what is pack n send?

is that where you pack the box and ship at local post office and assume that the question "is there anything dangerous in there" to mean something other than batteries.

i thought the rules was meant to prevent batteries from getting on passenger flights.

freight flights the pilots know there is some hazmat aboard as that is the nature of freight glights

Has anyone ever shipped with UPS or Fedex using a dangerous goods contract for <10 cells? I was looking at their requirements and wondering what (if any) surcharge is attached for shipping large quantities of Lithium batteries to other countries.

Well from what I can tell as long as you don't send the batteries as batteries but send them as a package with something else , i.e. a battery charger that has all the batteries attached to it, then you can send it as a battery charger and not as a battery, that's how companies bypass the dangerous goods method which costs a lot, also if you ship via freight most will not care if there are batteries or not inside.

does the charger have to be functional?

if not couldnt you just connect some wires to an empty enclosure and make claim it is charger?

ecotech said:
Well from what I can tell as long as you don't send the batteries as batteries but send them as a package with something else , i.e. a battery charger that has all the batteries attached to it, then you can send it as a battery charger and not as a battery, that's how companies bypass the dangerous goods method which costs a lot, also if you ship via freight most will not care if there are batteries or not inside.

Back