Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

Quick note recommending the Panoff software build and help file

Hadn't spotted this before, have just downloaded it and it looks like a nice tidy piece of work. Well done to Penoff..!

YES Penoff has done everyone a huge favour re working this. One thing I will point out for the benefit of others that may have the same surging problems that I did.............

Penoff is recommending we go with ......."Start Voltage [x100mV] – This is the throttle handle output voltage at which the motor will start. The minimum at which the controller responds is 1.1V so you should set this
parameter to 11 (11x100mV=1.1V)."

I had huge problems with the motor surging until I set this to 12 instead of 11. I am not say set yours to 12 but if you have surging problems try setting this to 12 and see if it helps. If you do not have surging problems then 11 is most likely better.........wayne

I've got a bbshd with the gear sensor. Do any settings affect the gearsensor cut out?

I've seen it randomly implied that this was possible throughout the forum but no actual explanation about it.

LyonNightroad said:
I've got a bbshd with the gear sensor. Do any settings affect the gearsensor cut out?

I've seen it randomly implied that this was possible throughout the forum but no actual explanation about it.

I would like to know too if you could affect the motor cut off/cut on timing with the programming. Using either the gear sensor or the handbar brake cutoff levers. I believe that is what you are asking. It would be nice to make the cut out/cut on time shorter on my BBS02. Am I reading your question correctly LyonNightroad, or not?

gridlok said:
There are plenty of people who say Kelper’s settings are very reliable, but I have not tried them yet so I cannot say. I would not advise using Kepler’s settings at a full 25 Amps, as you are asking for trouble. 100% Limit Speed at every PAS level at is going to put a serious load on the cheap-ass controller mosfets.

I do not quite understand, Why would limit speed set to 100% put more load on the controller? Isnt it better to run with higher RPM on the motor, and less strain on the internal gears of the bafang?, or have i misunderstood something here?

And if you have the controller with the new IRFB3077 mosfets, is the current draw so big of a deal then?

HI Bobbyhax, yes I would tend to agree with you. The 100% Limit Speed in my opinion from what I have read only means you will let the motor spin up to full revs. And at the lower current levels at lower pas settings you would not reach this anyways unless you are going down hill. What I see as more important for not blowing internal gears and controller is the slower ramp up speed for the smoothness of start up current and this has nothing to do with the 100% Limit Speed in my opinion as long as you are in a low enough gear for the job. The 100% Limit Speed means the current will not cut out until you reach speeds set in controller or by display so it just means the controller will keep on dishing out the low amps until you stop pedalling SO as long as you are in the right gear all is well.

Also I have learned that the throttle setting for the quickness of power applied overrides the PAS so this is great. I have my pas set to a slow ramp up of power so after the drive train is under under chain tension from the pas I can pour on the power as needed with the throttle. Works good.

Why does my BBS01 connect just fine while my BBS02 does not? Is there a different programming software out there? Different pinouts? All I can find is the same V1.00.01 that works with my BBS01.

Granted, my BBS02 has a blown FET, but that shouldn't matter. It communicated just fine with the display. My friends BBS02, from a chinese vendor, doesn't want to connect either.

I haven't posted much on this forum, so some of you may not know me unless you spend time on the BROL forums or on TerraTrike's forums. (I have a Rover-8 that I put a motor on...) I was one of the people that the Dillinger Rep selected for their Switcheroonie device, for reprogramming the BBSxx series. I have a BBS02 48V 7509W motor mounted on my trike. If some of the old hands at programming the Bafang would take a gander at these settings and give an honest opinion, that would be great!

This device stores 5 preset modes in it, and when you unplug the display and plug in the device, hooked into the display adapter, you can set any of the 5 different profiles. The device itself uses 2 AA batteries for internal power (and that's one point of feedback I'm going to offer. It should be able to rely on the battery on the bike/trike.)

For references, I also included the Luna Cycles defaults I received when I put a new controller on the motor earlier this year. That is the final set of columns. The columns for basic are in pairs. Each pair corresponds to the values in the bafang firmware software that was saved after flashing in each setting, one at a time. I closed the app down each time to make sure there were no fields left populated from a previous read, and powered off the motor before disconnecting either the computer or the device as well. (Turned the key on the battery.)

This devices has 3 "regular" modes, and those are indicated as the first 3 sets of columns below. Then there is an off-road and an Off-Road Unlimited. In the basic tab, the only other changes were with the Current Limit. For Unlimited it was set to 25A, but all other modes were 22A.

I found some very minor changes, and want to run these by everyone here to see what they think of them:

Code:
Basic Tab:															
0		100		1	|100		1	|100	1	|100	1	|100	1	|1	1
1		10		10	|10		10	|10	10	|10	100	|10	100	|52	44
2		20		20	|20		20	|20	20	|20	100	|20	100	|58	51
3		30		30	|30		30	|30	30	|30	100	|30	100	|64	58
4		40		40	|40		40	|40	40	|40	100	|40	100	|70	65
5		50		50	|50		50	|50	50	|50	100	|50	100	|76	72
6		60		60	|60		60	|60	60	|60	100	|60	100	|82	79
7		70		70	|70		70	|70	70	|70	100	|70	100	|88	86
8		85		85	|85		85	|85	85	|85	100	|85	100	|94	93
9		100	100	|100		100	|100	100	|100	100	|100	100	|100	100

On the Pedal Assist tabs, the only major changes were in the speed limits: Mode 1 was set for 33KM/H, Mode 2 for 32KM/H, Mode 3 for 40KM/H and modes Off-Road and O-R-U were set to By Display's Command.

Throttle saw a few more changes: (I set the speed limits of 32KM/H and PAS modes of 6 for the Luna column. I wanted to make absolutely positive I stayed legal if stopped by the police!)

Code:
48		11		48		11		11		11
50		35		50		35		35		42
Current		Current		Current		Current		Current		Current
9		9		9		9		9		6
25km/h		32km/h		25km/h		40km/h		40km/h		32km/h
10		10		10		10		10		10

Now I don't see anything here that's glaringly WRONG, but I haven't had a chance to test these, other than loading them into the motor and then reading and saving them. I hope to do some testing in the next few days.

As this device requires removing the display and putting it in, it's not really something I can see for those that want to change settings "on the fly." You have to stop to use it, unless you are good at juggling... :) It's about 6"x2.5"x1" and has the programming connector on the top. (It is almost 2x the size of the C961 display that came with my kit.) The LCD screen and 4 buttons are on the front. The four buttons are on/off, OK, arrows up/down. When you turn on the device it waits until you hit the OK button to connect, and then it reads the motor's firmware. After this it tells you what mode it found, and you can change modes accordingly, by up or down arrows. Clicking OK sets the mode and then you can disconnect it and reconnect the display. Pressing and holding the power button after power up does NOT turn the device off, but it does turn itself off after a minute or two.

Total time to reprogram the motor is probably going to be under a minute, with a bit of practice, maybe even significant less than that. It does NOT allow you to set any values into itself, so you do need to save the configuration you have prior to using the device. It also doesn't allow you to change any of the values on the device itself, or through any software, so what it has is what you get, period. The only way to see what settings are set to what values is to load them into the motor itself and then read them back with the programming software. (It would be nice if values for speed, current limit or others could be hand selected on the device itself, but that might be problematic from a controller standpoint.)

I'll give a more thorough review of my thoughts on it after I get in some riding, on each mode, and on the same types of roads, for a full evaluation.

I would wait until they come up with the finished article. This has to be done `on the fly` to be in any way useful, and permanently placed into the wiring loom.
At the moment too much messing around disconnecting battery supply, fitting input cable to display, making changes, then disconnecting and refitting original cable to display etc, etc.
It needs the user to only press mode 1, Mode 2 etc and thats it. At night or if its raining it going to be a pain.

Having said that, its a good idea, just needs finishing.

tommie said:
I would wait until they come up with the finished article. This has to be done `on the fly` to be in any way useful, and permanently placed into the wiring loom.
At the moment too much messing around disconnecting battery supply, fitting input cable to display, making changes, then disconnecting and refitting original cable to display etc, etc.
It needs the user to only press mode 1, Mode 2 etc and thats it. At night or if its raining it going to be a pain.

Having said that, its a good idea, just needs finishing.
A useful addition to future Bafang controllers, would be Bluetooth connectivity, and a nice little smart phone app to change parameters on the fly.

tahustvedt said:
Why does my BBS01 connect just fine while my BBS02 does not? Is there a different programming software out there? Different pinouts? All I can find is the same V1.00.01 that works with my BBS01.

Granted, my BBS02 has a blown FET, but that shouldn't matter. It communicated just fine with the display. My friends BBS02, from a chinese vendor, doesn't want to connect either.

I'm going to try one of those ready made cables that claim to work on all BBSx models. Hope I'm not wasting my money. :)

tahustvedt said:
tahustvedt said:

I'm going to try one of those ready made cables that claim to work on all BBSx models. Hope I'm not wasting my money. :)

If you get one of the premade cables, they seem to work pretty well. And regarding the "Chinese" made BBS02, well, dude, I hate to say it, but the BBS02 are all made in China... There are some clones around, but those don't use the same cabling from what I've seen.

I already have one home made cable that works with my BBS01 from China, but none of my BBS02 from a norwegian vendor. Fingers crossed. Could be that a different TTL adapter is needed.

https://www.empoweredcycles.com/collections/8fun-bafang-bbs02-accessories/products/usb-programming-cable-8fun-bbs02-mid-drive-motor

this is the proper one

I cut away the heat shrink tubing to see what was different from the one I made earlier, and there's one extra wire connected. I haven't checked which pin it is. Could be a different TTL-adapter too. I haven't compared then closely.

I think I know why my original cable doesn't work. It doesn't have the power pin connected to 36V, so it isnt turned onwhen connected. Oddly, my BBS01 seems to not need this to program.

Hi

After searching in the forum I still have the question:

How to use BBS01 type motor without display, only with throttle?

is there software or hardware mod?

pavlik1 said:
Hi

After searching in the forum I still have the question:

How to use BBS01 type motor without display, only with throttle?

is there software or hardware mod?

Hide the display in a frame pack or seat bag or some spot. But you will not run without it.

thanks for the hints.

I allready bought two cheap C965 displays

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-sale-bafang-BBS01-BBS02-BBS03-C965-display/32691560151.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.65.DVlJPG

Will try to run without and post the result anyway.

Back