Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Architectonic said:
The rubber button strip on my CAv3 came off during a ride the other day, not sure why as I never noticed that they were loose. What are my options to get a replacement?

I emailed info@ebikes.ca a few days ago but did not get a reply.
they sell replacement cases. i bought a TOP part from them some year ago.

Just a little pre-release teaser for the v3.1b4 firmware... :)

The firmware is actually ready but in-house road testing is backed up due to the phase of the moon and other seemingly cosmic events. Anyhow, it's the time of year for many to be working on builds or enhancements, so it seemed good to get this information out there ASAP with the firmware to follow shortly.

So:
Version 3.1b4 beta firmware introduces a new Digital Aux feature that allows the Cycle Analyst to actively control two different Aux Input features at once using two separate external controls. This applies across all presets and either input channel can be configured to control any of the existing 3.0 Aux Input modes (limiting or presets). This means that you can have one control for Amps limiting and another control for PAS Assist - both can be adjusted as needed.

To get this working you will need to wire up some momentary pushbuttons or a momentary SPDT switch. Grin will have plug and play products for this, but they're not here yet, so it's up to DIYers to cook up some custom stuff. Fortunately, the feature can be hooked up using a horn or regen button and a couple of parts, so the task is not really too difficult. The need to prep this bit of extra hardware is in part the reason for this information-only preview - so a new control can be fabricated and ready for the firmware (existing firmware and controls will work fine with a new pushbutton control installed - as long as you don't try to use it...).

• A brief PDF describing the feature in more detail and explaining the hook-up is posted on the [strike]Un[/strike]official Guide Download page (here).
Firmware coming soon - get tinkering on new controls...
:D

SetupUtil.png
(Previous 3.1b3 beta firmware available here.)
(Newer 3.1b4 beta firmware available here.)

Hmmm...
The watchdog screen can indicate a number of issues; the 'A,B, and C' values displayed on the Watchdog screen can help identify the cause.
Perhaps you could post up or PM me with some additional info:

• Did you note the A,B, C watchdog values?
  • What firmware version are you running?
  • Can you upload a settings file or PM it to me?
  • What was the CA doing at the time? (you mention charging, so just standing?).
  • Is your charge system rigged to register charge current as CA regen current or was the CA just incidentally on?

teklektik said:
Hmmm...
The watchdog screen can indicate a number of issues; the 'A,B, and C' values displayed on the Watchdog screen can help identify the cause.
Perhaps you could post up or PM me with some additional info:

• Did you note the A,B, C watchdog values?
  • What firmware version are you running?
  • Can you upload a settings file or PM it to me?
  • What was the CA doing at the time? (you mention charging, so just standing?).
  • Is your charge system rigged to register charge current as CA regen current or was the CA just incidentally on?

Running 3.0p10
Saw the watchdog screen a few times on a ride too. (CA was just incidentally on when riding) Seems to be random values!?! I'm thinking maybe some moisture in the connections out of the CA, or maybe even moisture inside the CA... Seems to work normally otherwise though.

Production Firmware v3.01 Released

Version 3.01 addresses a few minor issues in the v3.00 production release. A summary excerpted from the Release notes is shown below. These items may look familiar in that they were shared with a 3.1 beta release and have been back-ported to the official 3.0 release. New CA V3s now carry this firmware, so this is an opportunity to bring your unit up to date.

Flashing CA3-01_firmware_NoEeprom.hex will leave your existing configuration and lifetime statistics in place.

IMPORTANT: Please install this package according to README_install.txt. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Setup Utility.

Release Notes 3.01 said:
ReleaseNotes.txt - Summary of changes in this release

(1) 2228 - PassThru Throttle has initial 200ms delay
(2) 2252 - Menu mask bits affect the wrong setup parameters
(3) 2254 - 'PAS->SensrType' menu mask bit is missing in the Setup Utility
(4) 1614 - (New) Maximum PAS Pole Count has been restored to 24

Anyhow, there has been a huge amount of activity at Grin - the Big Move, TaiPei bike show, etc - not to mention getting out a backlog of emails and orders, so the V3 web page hasn't yet been updated with this version. This post is a just quickie means to get it out there - as soon as the web site is updated this post will get linked to the Grin site as the only source for production firmware - but for now:

Flash away!
<removed>

• EDIT: As discussed above, this firmware is now available on the Grin Tech CA V3 web page. The firmware package has been withdrawn from this post so there is but a single authoritative source for this firmware.
(Production 3.xx software and firmware are available on the Grin Tech web site "V3 Cycle Analyst Info Page".)
(Newest 3.1 beta firmware is linked here.)

Architectonic said:
Running 3.0p10
Saw the watchdog screen a few times on a ride too. (CA was just incidentally on when riding) Seems to be random values!?! I'm thinking maybe some moisture in the connections out of the CA, or maybe even moisture inside the CA... Seems to work normally otherwise though.
Okay - thanks for the background.

The values on the Watchdog screen reflect information about the firmware when it failed, however, the values are unlikely to make much sesne to the casual observer. Normally we'd ask that you jot down the values on the screen, but:

It seems you have two issues that you can address to held remedy the problem:
  • Moisture: Moisture can certainly cause signals to scoot around the PCB and make the firmware see inputs that were never intended. This puts everything in question so getting the unit dried out is a first step.
  • Firmware: 3.0p10 is very old beta firmware and unsupported. You need to re-flash with contemporary production release - see the previous post for v3.01.

Hello all,
I have updated to CA3-01.
My Cycle analyst set up utility is the latest one from the site,
when I updated the firmware I got a "crashed error as Cycle analyst was detected with bootloader 0202.
Then it proceeded to update and verify and I now have it installed.
But, is this correct about bootloader 0202.
Is there a later version I have missed.

There are a couple of known issues with the Software Setup utility that center on the serial communication. The bootloader version you saw is correct and the 'crash' message is not unusual - although disquieting. So far the issues have not been show stoppers so the repair priority is not high.

It's a bit machine dependent - I run a few Dell Latitude D630s and they have always caused these messages.
Here's a typical screen I see many times a day ...

Kaboomski.png
Sorry for the situation, but no worries as long as it runs to happy completion :D

teklektik said:
There are a couple of known issues with the Software Setup utility that center on the serial communication. The bootloader version you saw is correct and the 'crash' message is not unusual - although disquieting. So far the issues have not been show stoppers so the repair priority is not high.

It's a bit machine dependent - I run a few Dell Latitude D630s and they have always caused these messages.
Here's a typical screen I see many times a day ...

Sorry for the situation, but no worries as long as it runs to happy completion :D

Thanks for the reply.
That is exactly the screen I had.
Everything loaded fine, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other problems.

I get this warning when i update from V3 to V3.01https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-

foutmelding%2Bca.jpg

Everything seems to work normal. Can i just ignore this?

The CA is a great product. I have only one wich. To make it even better. Maybe it is already posible but
i like to see the Ah in the main display always for me that is the most important parameter.
Now it toggels and i have to look to the screen to long sometimes i almost hit a tree ;) .
Maybe there i dont need the Temp and trip km in the main sreen. Maybe it is an idea the user can have a choice
what to see in the main screen for all positions. Just like the Watts of Amps,

Sorry for my bad spell. English is not my language.

Erikjan said:
I get this warning when i update from V3 to V3.01https:
Everything seems to work normal. Can i just ignore this?
Yep. Harmless.

Erikjan said:
...i like to see the Ah in the main display always for me that is the most important parameter.
Now it toggels and i have to look to the screen to long sometimes i almost hit a tree ;) .
Maybe there i dont need the Temp and trip km in the main sreen. Maybe it is an idea the user can have a choice
what to see in the main screen for all positions. Just like the Watts of Amps,
If you download and install the 3.1b3 beta firmware, you can select different bits of data to appear on the main screen ('Custom View' under 'Preferences'). If there is only one Custom View selected it does not alternate.

• 01 - distance (mi or km)
  • 02 - AH
  • 03 - deg C
  • 04 - degC alert (displays temperature only if within 5 degC of threshold temp)
  • 05 - RPM (cadence)
  • 06 - Human Wt
  • 07 - ThrO
  • 08 - Aux Limit
  • 09 - Gear-inch (effective wheel diam for present pedal-to-road gearing)
  • 10 - Total Wh/mi or Wh/km
  • 11 - Instantaneous Wh/mi or Wh/km
The 'degC Alert' is kind of cool - it only displays the temperature when it gets within 5degC of your configured threshold.

So - in your case, you could select 'Ah' and 'degC Alert'. This would make 'Ah' display continuously until the temperature got within 5degC of your configured temp threshold at which time the temp display would appear and begin alternating with the Ah display. This would give you the steady Ah you want and add in the temp display only when it becomes important.

Even though it's beta firmware, 3.1b3 is a solid build - I've been using it for some time and it works well.

Erikjan said:
Sorry for my bad spell. English is not my language.
Your command of English is pretty damn good - I wish I was as adept at second language :D

Wow thats sounds great i go try the 3.1b3 firmware :)

The temp is only important if its near its limits, that point i swicht from 1wd to 2wd. I realy like the option you mention.

Only thing i need to find now is the best setting for speed limit i cant find the right settings.
Any one with 2WD MAC have find the right setting?

Actually - I have 2WD BMC in a big heavy cargo bike. They are almost identical to MACs except for the case (gears/clutch are interchangeable, etc). I run almost all the time in 2WD mode except when going very very slowly on bike paths. As easily demonstrated in the ebikes.ca simulator, 2WD mode is at least as efficient as either FWD or RWD and usually more so. I have verified this. It also splits the heat between the two motors. Running on one motor to be 'thrifty' actually has the opposite effect and punishes that motor to run in a more inefficient region with twice the load making extra heat. Of course, if you pound the throttle to feel the ponies on getaways, 2WD will eat the Ah, but if you keep the getaways civil, things should work out better for you in 2WD mode (enter the CA current-limiting 3-position switch :D to stop you from going slap-happy with the power consumption).

If this doesn't make sense to you - remember that motors are very inefficient under very heavy load (i.e. on getaways, climbing hills, etc). If each motor only sees 1/2 the load it is much further up the efficiency curve and so you are wasting less power to get the same job done. So instead of one motor at 50% efficiency, you have two motors at 70% efficiency consuming less total power to do the same job. The effect is diminished under light load - but still present. Anyhow - I don't want to wander off topic here into the severely opinionated topic of 2WD, but give it a try... Worst case, you will see little change in power consumption unless you dip into the reserve of 'twice the torque' that you have available.

Ok. Back to CA stuff... :D

I am now running 3.1b3 i like it very much.
Thanks for the help.

What settings do you use for the speedlimit?

Speaking of speed limits, does anyone have good values for PSGain/IntSGain/DSGain for a Tangent?

Erikjan said:
I am now running 3.1b3 i like it very much.

What settings do you use for the speedlimit?
Glad you like it - thanks for the feedback!

Not sure what you mean by speedlimit...
If you post back with the category and exact wording on the CA screen or Setup Utility it will make it clearer.
For instance: SLim->MaxSpeed
Most settings are pretty bike-specific, but we can take a look...

are there any known solutions to get the smartbms oz890 Board (which comes with an I2C Interface) working together with the CA3. Whould be nice to get the BMS Readings like Single Cell Voltage etc onto CA´s Display. Theres a Arduino Project on Github which does this, all Adresses / Passwords etc for the BMS Communications are in this Source.

irq said:
are there any known solutions to get the smartbms oz890 Board (which comes with an I2C Interface) working together with the CA3. Whould be nice to get the BMS Readings like Single Cell Voltage etc onto CA´s Display. Theres a Arduino Project on Github which does this, all Adresses / Passwords etc for the BMS Communications are in this Source.
no

Although it is not an actual display of the true individual cell voltages, the 3.1beta software can display the average cell voltage which is trivially derived from the pack voltage and number of cells. Many folks feel more comfortable with a cell voltage display and this simple version is within the scope of the CA V3 hardware.

teklektik said:
Not sure what you mean by speedlimit...
If you post back with the category and exact wording on the CA screen or Setup Utility it will make it clearer.
For instance: SLim->MaxSpeed
Most settings are pretty bike-specific, but we can take a look...

I ment the Gain settings, porportional intergral and differential gain settings.

I can't find the right settings i always get an overshoot.

I try the things in the manual al ready.

Back