Animalector's Ebike Builds

New fork arrived. It's much beafier than the old early 2000's boxxer.. who knows about quality until I ride it. it looks good... :twisted:

One thing to note is that it leaves oil on the stanchion just under manual compression off the bike.. this could be build oil?

Anyways, photos. I'll fit it up tomorrow afternoon perhaps if I get time.

Andy
View attachment 2
View attachment 1
IMG_20150119_192535 (Custom).jpg

well... They look good.. :shock: but they're not the best for any sort of real offroad use. The rebound is not adjustable, and they top out on rebound pretty strongly. which is a shame, because of that they're probably not suitable for my purposes.

As a road fork, they're big, look and feel strong, with good travel. if I was riding my ebike around on the streets only I'd probably leave them on. Good for someone to get a bike on the road on a budget.

Here's some Pics, I'll be offering them at cost price in the for sale section.

IMG_20150120_182729 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20150120_191502 (Custom).jpg
IMG_20150120_191517 (Custom).jpg

gee it's been a while.

Those forks above are sh1t - Bought myself some boxxers that were missing the clamps, and used the clamps from the above Zoom fork to mount them. It was a bit of a hack, but worked well.

I have now sold the bike to a mate from work. Sad to see it go, but I will build something new eventually.

Another mate from work, who was also interested in my mid-drive, and missed out on buying it because he couldn't make his mind up (translation - couldn't make his wife's mind up), is now building a bike for himself and I am helping source the parts.

Here's the donor bike with a possible battery configuration that should fit easily (if it can be built). It's a 2009 Norco Shore, very tight bike, super plush suspension, ready for a BBS02 750W mid drive. (that's the plan)

file.php

Now I am thinking, maybe I should build a Tab welder, it will come in handy if I ever want to build any more electric bikes / scooters, 4 wheelers, drift trikes, etc...

:idea: :idea: :idea: IDEA :idea: :idea: :idea:
I am thinking if I can use my Lebowski controller (modified with CPU board disconnected) as a Tab welder, basically paralleling the phases together, and pulsing the driver stage using another micro... I don't see why not?

THoughts anyone??

Well thats a cracker of an idea.

Yep those Zoom forks are like comparing a toy phone to a mobile phone. They are nigh on dangerous with the rebound.
I bought a set of repainted and reco'd Boxxers on rotorburn complete with new decals for $300 last week. Just wanted to make you feel bad :p

That shape looks rad Andy.

here we go, motor arrived (Thanks Samd) and Chris's bike is starting to take shape.
First off, some material needs to be removed to fit the drive
View attachment 4
Some CAD work, to trial fit the eventual battery shape / size
DSC_0525 (Custom).JPG
It fits, and clears the rear swing arm.
DSC_0526 (Custom).JPG
Here you can see that we had to grind off a little bit of the derailleur cable mount, but it fits snug.
View attachment 1
Lastly, you can see where the chain guide mount was cut back
DSC_0528 (Custom).JPG

QUESTION. We had to use a spacer on the drive side, because the BBS02 has a slight recess which is supposed to sit flush against the bottom bracket housing. without the spacer, the BBS02 larger inner surface would sit agains the chain guide surface, and it might put unnecessary tension on the drive, when it is all bolted together.. so the question is.. any see a problem with doing this?

Andy

Chainline. Answer: If an issue, use a Lekkie ring.
Conical shape of driveside of BB insert to tighten up against to prevent wiggling of the BB insert on the BB threads. Answer: make sure spacer is not interfering with it. I.e. make it the same size as the BB only and stick it to the BB face, not the unit.

Yeah, out of ideas. Highly likely to be fine, depending on what the chainline was pre spacer. 8)

I remove my iscg chain guides.

I also put a cnc chainring adapter in the box. Give the bling ring a miss and put a proper chainring on that proper bike. The extra dropout width of 150mm up back means you're gonna have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. There's usually three tack welds on a Norc

Animalector said:
gee it's been a while.

Those forks above are sh1t - Bought myself some boxxers that were missing the clamps, and used the clamps from the above Zoom fork to mount them. It was a bit of a hack, but worked well.

I have now sold the bike to a mate from work. Sad to see it go, but I will build something new eventually.

Another mate from work, who was also interested in my mid-drive, and missed out on buying it because he couldn't make his mind up (translation - couldn't make his wife's mind up), is now building a bike for himself and I am helping source the parts.

Here's the donor bike with a possible battery configuration that should fit easily (if it can be built). It's a 2009 Norco Shore, very tight bike, super plush suspension, ready for a BBS02 750W mid drive. (that's the plan)

file.php

Now I am thinking, maybe I should build a Tab welder, it will come in handy if I ever want to build any more electric bikes / scooters, 4 wheelers, drift trikes, etc...

:idea: :idea: :idea: IDEA :idea: :idea: :idea:
I am thinking if I can use my Lebowski controller (modified with CPU board disconnected) as a Tab welder, basically paralleling the phases together, and pulsing the driver stage using another micro... I don't see why not?

THoughts anyone??

Does that mean good or bad?

Got your layout. This'll be fun.
4fe814d50033bdee2dabaab9c9dadc34.jpg

I fired up the 3d printer last night to print a 3 piece outer perimeter at 3mm thick. Like a cookie cutter. Then I'll lay the actual cells in and see what we get.

Unfortunately I went to bed and the first of the 3 pieces crashed. Viva long weekend...

You might remember ES user Nechaus from Brisbane had a good thread here on 3D printers. He's really active on ES facebook and also a big user of the cheap Tevo Tarantula 3d printers - so much so that several ES users are really active in the tarantula facebook forum.
You should come check it out. They're really good value. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Newest-TEVO-Tarantula-I3Aluminium-Extrusion-3D-Printer-kit-printer-3d-printing-2-Rolls-Filament-8GB/32596996503.html

I'm thinking of a 400mm cubed Wombot Modus for Xmas myself. One big printer has gotta be better than three small ones in my shed.
http://www.aurarum.com.au/32-wombot-3d-printers

A chunkadunk.
dac13462e4caf2b39395edaeb9645872.jpg

ohhh.. That looks fancy...

By the way I got to ride Chris's bike today with umpteen kg of lead acid on my back. Not a fan of a pack full of lead but anyways, that bike is going to be killer on the trails, the suspension is so plush, it feels more like a dirt bike (moto) and is going to be a lot of fun for sure

No I want to drop the cells in and let gravity do its optimisation :)
I printed the next section overnight but 2 degrees celsius resulted in an awfully warped print. I'll set up the enclosure and have another go last night.

Glad you like the suspension. I seriously collect/stockpile these frames now when I can. Single swingarm bikes are ok but these things feel like you can go over a damn washing machine at 40kph and keep rolling. You can't do this on a ten grand bomber. The rear end is patented. Welcome to champagne ebiking on a beer budget.

I did notice a good one up your way on gumtree.

Case is getting there. Don't think we'll be shrinkwrapping this shape. Duct tape it is!

Back