Drop bar controls set up

abecrizer

100 mW
Hello I am trying to figure out the best way to set up my e-bike controls (throttle, brake sensors, lcd screen) on a road bike with drop bars.

I am wondering if folks can post pictures or descriptions of what they have done so I can get ideas for best way to do it.

I currently have bunch of the stuff taped to the stem until I can figure out a good enough plan to make redoing the handle bar tape worth it.

For info on my bike see:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81087

If you want to mount a twist throttle to the tops of your drop bars you could use a divisible drop bar such as the van nicholas bars http://www.vannicholas.com/componentsdetails.aspx?id=157&type=vntelements

A number of years ago, a member here ran a short cable from the frt. shifter to a throttle ASM (maybe a thumb) that was in a sm. bag.
It was so long ago that, unfortunately, I don't remember his name.

It kind of sucks that the industry still hasn't really come up with throttles and e brake handles made for drop bars.

There are brake switches that install in line on the cable, but where to get them and how they work I don't know.

I'd like to see a tiny trigger throttle, that could mount on the bottom of the drop bar, rather than a twist or thumb twist.

Meanwhile, I continue to suggest converting the bike to a flat or low rise MTB bar. Many riders use the top of drop bars 90% of the time anyway.

If you still want low ish, riser bars upside down.

Just saw this, on another thread today.Drop bar throttle adapter.jpg

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81086

dogman dan said:
It kind of sucks that the industry still hasn't really come up with throttles and e brake handles made for drop bars.

There are brake switches that install in line on the cable, but where to get them and how they work I don't know.

I'd like to see a tiny trigger throttle, that could mount on the bottom of the drop bar, rather than a twist or thumb twist.

Meanwhile, I continue to suggest converting the bike to a flat or low rise MTB bar. Many riders use the top of drop bars 90% of the time anyway.

If you still want low ish, riser bars upside down.

The other option was 3 waterproof small buttons wired up with some resistors in a voltage divider setup. Button 1 would be 2.5v, button 2 would be 3.5v and button 3 would be 4.5v (max throttle). Much smaller, cheapish and you could position them anywhere or have 2 buttons placed in different spots for full throttle.

I was going to wire something up, but found my setup works fine and decided riding around was more fun...

Ok cool, I get what you are saying Raged. That is beyond my electrical sophistication but I am sure I would learn a lot figuring it out. (or I could
ask my engineer brother how to do it, struggle to understand what he is talking about, ask too many questions to the point he will build it so I will
stop bothering him.)

I also considered a throttle without a return spring like I have now, so you set a power level and leave it, but with a push button switches
to connect the circuit in convenient places on the flat and near the brake levers.
In other words, Set the throttle, but no voltage returns to the controller unless you press either of the two buttons. If you need it to stop you just let the
spring loaded buttons go...

Your bike looks really cool by the way Raged.

abecrizer said:
Ok cool, I get what you are saying Raged. That is beyond my electrical sophistication but I am sure I would learn a lot figuring it out. (or I could
ask my engineer brother how to do it, struggle to understand what he is talking about, ask too many questions to the point he will build it so I will
stop bothering him.)

I also considered a throttle without a return spring like I have now, so you set a power level and leave it, but with a push button switches
to connect the circuit in convenient places on the flat and near the brake levers.
In other words, Set the throttle, but no voltage returns to the controller unless you press either of the two buttons. If you need it to stop you just let the
spring loaded buttons go...

Your bike looks really cool by the way Raged.

To give you a head start...

There's 3 wires for throttle.

+5v
Signal ( depending on your controller, the range is between 1.5v for min throttle to 4.5v max throttle )
GND

So you wire a resistor and button in a voltage divider setup between the 5v and gnd so that the outvoltage for signal is your desired throttle voltage.

eg... to get 3.3v out to signal :

z5AQJ.png

have more switches in parallel and change the r1 resistor to adjust the voltage out ( or use a small trimpot to fine tune ).

Back