Alien Drive Systems- Stunt scooter from scratch

I'm currently looking at around £180 just cost price..so to be viable sale price would need to be around £250...its simply because I'm getting them produced in low numbers...
The next issue would be shipping cost. .would be around £40 -50 to USA or Australia. .
Europe would be around £25-30

beetbocks said:
I'm currently looking at around £180 just cost price..so to be viable sale price would need to be around £250...its simply because I'm getting them produced in low numbers...
The next issue would be shipping cost. .would be around £40 -50 to USA or Australia. .
Europe would be around £25-30

That would be viable for me as i'm in the UK, that price includes the motor mount and gears?

Few quick questions, what are the dimensions of the motor enclosure area?

What would be the cost of the slightly smaller frame you are developing for your son (with gears motor mount etc)?

yeah that would include a motor mount- maybe the chain wheel and a sprocket- (i'm currently trying to source a cheaper supplier for this)..gear ratio changes significantly depending what set up you intend to use..with regards wheel size/motor KV and battery voltage.
you would need a wheel adaptor of whch i have 2x designs (MGP dirt scooter wheel or rockstar pro wheels) ..they would extra or you can adapt your own somehow..
the smaller frame is no cheaper really..material are practically the same (maybe £5-10 difference) and the welding takes as long..so same price
the large scoot is designed to fit a 6374 motor and pulley..its 115mm wide,
200mm%20scoot%20assembly_zpsrq8nqmnj.jpg

beetbocks said:
yeah that would include a motor mount- maybe the chain wheel and a sprocket- (i'm currently trying to source a cheaper supplier for this)..gear ratio changes significantly depending what set up you intend to use..with regards wheel size/motor KV and battery voltage.
you would need a wheel adaptor of whch i have 2x designs (MGP dirt scooter wheel or rockstar pro wheels) ..they would extra or you can adapt your own somehow..
the smaller frame is no cheaper really..material are practically the same (maybe £5-10 difference) and the welding takes as long..so same price
the large scoot is designed to fit a 6374 motor and pulley..its 115mm wide,
200mm%20scoot%20assembly_zpsrq8nqmnj.jpg

Cheers for the detailed pic!

The electronics I will be putting into it are similar to your set up, will be running 12s.

What have you found as the best motor pulley and sprocket size for accel/speed?

What top speed are you getting from your set up?

I'd be interested in using the mgp dirt scooter for the rest of the parts...

What ESC are you using if y dont mind me asking...

Cheers for responding quickly, I appreciate it.

What have you found as the best motor pulley and sprocket size for accel/speed?
on the MGP 9" wheel- i run 70Tx 13T- this gives the perfect balance of good acceleration and a top speed of around 28mph-without stressing the motor too much

What ESC are you using if y dont mind me asking...

im using the 120A alien power ESC-http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/esc/alien-120a-3-12s-jet-esc-hv/

Cheers for responding quickly, I appreciate it

Med scoot finished. ..
Really nice ride ..very lightweight..Under 9kgs .
26mph with good acceleration. .
8s 10000mah ,270kv 5065 motor..
On board charging port.
Done!!
My son's scared to ride it...and that's saying something..:)
20160614_204337_zpsw8by3bia.jpg

20160614_204358_zpsdtphpv3j.jpg

20160614_204411_zpsyncbvnhz.jpg

IMG-20160614-WA0010_zpsxvffuduk.jpeg

Hehe.
To add to your collection of e-boards.
Your garage must be quite full now. :D :D
I do dig that last scooter you got there, that is a true commuter - but with all the fun thrown in too.
My collection went down by one - got a board nicked while I was in the park. Serves me right for turning my back for a minute. :evil: :evil:

What size of chain are you using? Misumi sells a lot of sizes and I have no idea what size would be adequate. Awesome looking builds btw!

cdn said:
Been following your build. Your new ESC seems identical to TorqueBoards. Awesome ESC. I've used them on all my builds. I've also done what you've done, mounted a cooling fan on top of the heat sink. I found that the ESC could run as hot as 140* on 90 degree plus days. Adding the cooling fan drops the temp to ~120. One thing I did find by trial and error with the fan was the fan blade would break from the center area. After loosing 3 fans, I decided to try placing a dab of epoxy to the center area of the fan. Problem solved. It may not be a problem for you since the fan is sitting upright.

Could you show how you wired the fans in? I need to put a fan on my new ESC but im not sure where i would wire it into?

Thank you for uploading your controller enclosure for the GT2b to scooter bar! Is your trigger lever you use on the scooter just for throttle?

no throttle and brake- the main reason why i wanted to use 2.4ghz,,.. as an off the shelf wired throttle does not have brake facility..like a wireless one..
you've also just reminded me i didn't add the the actual trigger....oops..
ill add that now,:)

So you just stand on the rear plastic mud guard for brake?

Haha, I just figured you were still working on the throttle lever. Do you have to be careful with the lever or is the case super strong?

Sorry I meant..no....it has throttle and brake..just like a skateboard ..pull bag for accel...push forward for brake. . (If your esc supports it )..and I use foot brake at same time. ..:)

UPDATE-
some mods and upgrades on the Med scoot and Big scoot-
I've fitted knobbly tires and a lower gear ratio on the med scoot- and fitted shorter bars so my son can ride it now!!..and he loves it- its a lot of fun on short grass and mud tracks...it put a smile on mine and his face!!lol

https://www.facebook.com/AlienDriveSystems/videos/636921443136813/

https://www.facebook.com/AlienDriveSystems/videos/625337784295179/

13659045_624615731034051_8688591830791518001_n_zpsr3xwklfr.jpg

13680541_625239084305049_2168618322691286509_n_zpssvxecpgf.jpg

13906786_637443223084635_5335326512259138160_n_zpsrh1q1o7n.jpg

even got my 6 year old daughter on the small scoot- on 50% power:)
https://www.facebook.com/AlienDriveSystems/videos/636921766470114/

The big scoot has also been treated to some upgrades..gone to the slightly larger 25 ASA (or 1/4" ) chain ..which means you can use the standard Minimoto rear sprockets http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-MOTO...hash=item565297e7b2:m:mXkItK4OvaXd_n4L7BS-9gQso cheap as chips to buy ..and is a nice chunky chain ..

I've also changed the 130KV motor to a 170KV..and WOW ..what a difference , this thing is an animal ..relentless acceleration and a nice top speed of 32mph..but it certainly gets there fast enough ...
this was a quick test of my new gopro mount.....but i think it shows the power enough..lol
https://youtu.be/C0T5pA0gLF4

Really awesome! I like how you keep improving your builds!

How do the motor like to be under the fender when offroading? Dont grit and dirt hurt the bearings?

i think ive actually got the Big scoot more or less perfect now...except the hand controller..which i hope Bruno's new remote will fix..
I already have a enclosure 3d printed for it..:(
20160817_143020_zpsrhbzefp3.jpg

20160811_092200_zpslxqblzrp.jpg

20160810_211328_zpsjdgsm8ut.jpg

im going to test it on the new med scooter im building ..

20160811_195721_zps5kubdr14.jpg

well when i say 'off road' i really mean the footpath at the back of my house...lol...
i clean it best i can and its fairly well protected from the underside by the cover...
but the 5065 motor is so cheap at £35 its almost disposable.. if it last 6 months..its done well..

Is the skate deck part of next gen? Actually I thought of starting a scooter build with a tad flexible deck to provide some suspention (like the Jack hot/zero) and the ability to pop curbs. Just a little though otherwise the handlebar movement will be strange I guess.

no..that's just showing my next projects..a longboard and a scoot..
i have thought about a wooden deck myself..i currently use 6mm ABS sheet waterjet to shape then add grip tape..
the tires provide enough flex..

Back