Re-wind of a turnigy 80/100 (Now-tutorial w/Video)

Do any of you guys use Nomex paper when winding your motors?
I am about to wind an 80-85 and I found a nick in the coating.. Since this is my first motor-rewind, Im thinking that using some nomex paper to insulate might be a good idea. It also may keep me from scratching the wire on the stator.

If you do use it, how much did you need? how far does it have to hang over the end?

I use nomex by default after pulling some shorts on a few motors.
I put a couple strips in your baggie of parts...more than enough to do a motor....i typicly cut a pc 3/8" x 1/2" & bend it into a U shape to wrap the ends of the stator teeth. You can pre-form the nomex on the tip of some needle nose pliers.

Without the nomex,you can pull a short right thru the green epoxy on the stator with thick wire.

Its also very handy to have a multi meter that will sound a tone if yo get a short. Anchor one meter wire to the stator with a magnet & the othe on the magnet wire you are winding with, if you pull a short while winding you'll hear the tone & can add insulation as needed.

Have fun.

Thud said:
I use nomex by default after pulling some shorts on a few motors.
I put a couple strips in your baggie of parts...more than enough to do a motor....i typicly cut a pc 3/8" x 1/2" & bend it into a U shape to wrap the ends of the stator teeth. You can pre-form the nomex on the tip of some needle nose pliers.

Without the nomex,you can pull a short right thru the green epoxy on the stator with thick wire.

Its also very handy to have a multi meter that will sound a tone if yo get a short. Anchor one meter wire to the stator with a magnet & the othe on the magnet wire you are winding with, if you pull a short while winding you'll hear the tone & can add insulation as needed.

Have fun.

WOW. I didnt even notice it in there. Thanks!

This is the Quote from Thud on motor disassembly... I took pics just to replace the missing ones, but not all of them came out... here are the ones I have.. they DO show the clip and spacer under the cap, something I was unable to find pictures of online... If a mod could copy this to the front page, it would be nice.

Step 1-Disasembly:
#1 inspect the shaft for any nicks or bump that would impead the removal through the bearings.
20150328_212139.jpg

#2 remove the 4 inside bolt circle 5mm cap head bolts & remove the end cap (its a light press fit & pops off easily)
20150328_212147.jpg

20150328_212240.jpg

once removed your motor looks like this: (notice the yellow Phase wire was actually shorting to the end plate..this is a brand new never run motor!)
20150328_212311.jpg

20150328_212302.jpg

#3 remove the circlip & spacer...& the 4 screws holding the skirt bearing to the can. use a proper fitting screwdriver (allen key) as the screws are kinda soft.
20150328_212723.jpg

#4 Using a plastic faced hammer, gently tap the end of the shaft a few times, this will loosen the skirt bearing from the can, once free we are ready to press the can off the motor.

#5 press the magnet can out of the bearing tube. You see I am using the stock motor mount to gain some purchase, I use a singe bolt from the end cap. My technique is to hold the motor mount with my index fingers & press the shaft out with my thumbs.If the shaft is properly smooth, it will slide right out.
BE CAREFUL the magnets are very strong & if you change your grip you can potentially receive a nasty pinch.

You see I had a slight burr on the end of the shaft & its hanging in the bearing race. I just installed a 4mm cap head screw & tapped it through gently.

Now you can tap the skirt bearing off the bearing tube. Use gentle taps & apply preasure 180 degrees to the bearing & it will pop right off. Next remove the bearings from the tube, I use a length of 10mm rod with a very square face on it, reach through one end to catch the inside race of a bearing. Now alternate tap's in 180 degree incremants & the bearing should slide out also.
congrats. You have diassasembled your motor & it looks like this.

http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice shared here and give a little feedback after my first rewind. It's now 3p 7 turns dLRK WYE with 1.18mm wire.
I did the work at the desk - one can watch something that way. I used 2 clamps and a pair of lead acid bricks:

Wedge-shaped pieces of wood are very handy, best have 2 (one to hold a wind in place, one to "shape" it)

Note the taped stack of coins to hold the stator:

Tape to hold finished ones, also note the Kapton tape I used at the top and bottom of each tooth:

Use at least a glove on the pulling hand and take it easy. This can be demanding on the joints, especially the base of the thumb.
I had to redo one phase due to a short (one can see in the pics where the chipped green enamel is, the edges of the laminations are quite sharp) and it took me about 20 hours in total, though while watching TV - about a tooth per episode :).
Thanks also to Linus - I used his blog as a reference: http://www.linushelgesson.se/2012/04/modifying-the-turnigy-80-100-brushless-outrunner-part-2/

Thanks Thud for this tutorial!

Also thanks Dave for supplying Nomex paper in small quantities, saves us having to buy a bulk lot.

Here is my 14T of 14AWG, DLRK, Delta terminated C80100. 76kv and should have a very nice torque constant of around 0.125Nm/A

2015%2B-%2B3

Apologies in advance as this is not strictly on topic.. I’m hoping some subscribers to this topic may have information on a SK3 6374 rewind?

I’m currently using two 6374 149kv motors as hub motors on my E-skate. It goes well, just over 50 km/h on 6S lipo. As you can imagine, the current required on such low voltage is high.
I’m looking to tune up the performance a bit, maybe rewind for lower kv and run on higher voltage.

Does anyone know of any 6374 rewinds been done? I’d like to know the kv that results from different winding schemes and number of turns. And also how many turns of X awg is possible to fit around the stator teeth. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex

Stielz said:
Apologies in advance as this is not strictly on topic.. I’m hoping some subscribers to this topic may have information on a SK3 6374 rewind?

I’m currently using two 6374 149kv motors as hub motors on my E-skate. It goes well, just over 50 km/h on 6S lipo. As you can imagine, the current required on such low voltage is high.
I’m looking to tune up the performance a bit, maybe rewind for lower kv and run on higher voltage.

Does anyone know of any 6374 rewinds been done? I’d like to know the kv that results from different winding schemes and number of turns. And also how many turns of X awg is possible to fit around the stator teeth. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex
What do you want to accomplish? Unload shitty controller that is not maxed of by voltage?

Yep controller is the limiting factor at the moment. I'm using VESCs which are purpose built for electric skateboards. They are very good but I need to up the voltage to get more power out of them.

Stielz said:
Yep controller is the limiting factor at the moment. I'm using VESCs which are purpose built for electric skateboards. They are very good but I need to up the voltage to get more power out of them.
They normally come in delta, if you figure out each phase strands then go star scheme. The kv will be about /1.7 and benefit of no recirculating current.

This is awesome work, and I would love to copy it. But where does one get a C80100 any more?

Hi

I read the subject i want to rewind 80100 motor i thinks i was in the right place

I want 350KV under 24v with max AMP my controller was an Kelly KLS S6035 350a peak

i find with Drive calculator different possibilties

For 350Kv i need 3 turns?

but i don't have any experience about rewind i ask to your experience to make good choose ( best performance and easy to realize) the best compromise

80100 350Kv 1,6mm 5par.png

80100 350Kv 2mm 3par.png

80100 350Kv 2,24mm 3par.png

I hope in make good informations for drive calculator
my first choise was rewind with 2.24mm wire diameter

I don't know if it's realistic to ask 8.4kw peak

thanks for you help

Sylvain

Hello I'm not an expert with motor electronic, I know only the basics and I didn't understand most of the previous reply :mrgreen:

I would like to know what is the most efficient motor between a 80kv and a 130kv 80100 ?

I plane to use it at 44v (Lipo 12s)

My question is to know if somebody has the performance data chart or table with RPM/Amp/Volt/Power/Efficiency ?

Following these data, I could choose the motor following my needs and design my mid drive...

Thanks in advance for your reply :wink:

then you suggest me to use the 130kv for a use at 44v ? I can ajust my reduction gear without problem...

Back