75-5 & 75-7 Motors - Looking for Test Engineers

Doctorbass said:
Methods,

I am just wondering what is the main ghoal of these tests? .....
I did not know that the 75-X motor also existed in carbon wrap rotor version.. that's interesting

Doc

I think you answered your own question Doc. We are dialing in a carbon wrap process... and we must determine our reliability and margin.

thanks,
-methods

My Aprilia RS125 with ME1114 and Sevcon Gen4 is very lacklustre. I want something that will keep up with a large gasser.
I'm keen if I can manage the expense past hers truly.

methods said:
Doctorbass said:
Methods,

I am just wondering what is the main ghoal of these tests? .....
I did not know that the 75-X motor also existed in carbon wrap rotor version.. that's interesting

Doc

I think you answered your own question Doc. We are dialing in a carbon wrap process... and we must determine our reliability and margin.

thanks,
-methods

Ok but the new IPM does not need any wraping so..? i guess this is not related to teh Zero R&D.?

Doc

Doctorbass said:
... i guess this is not related to teh Zero R&D.?

Doc

Correct.
Although I worked at Zero (a while back before Tesla) the work we are doing here has nothing to do with Zero.

-methods

Hi Methods,

I just saw this thread because hillhater asked me if I had seen it. I have a thread going https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=81074

I want to build a supercross bike that will win a 6 minute heat race. That would be quite an engineering feat in my estimation out of a small machine shop
in Nor Cal.

I just ordered a 75-7 yesterday. I don't need a new motor to do the testing. Keeping the weight down is a big consideration. Being able to win dirt drag
races against 450s is another. I would like to come see what you are doing. I live in the Sacramento area.

Hi everyone,
Longtime lurker, first time poster.
Yes, we've obtained quite a few of these motors and had previously been hired to solve a problem with some of them that resulted in the magnets departing the rotor and the stainless bands failing to restrain them. As Methods described, the forces are huge once you get past 5,000 rpm. The carbon wraps worked and Ryan tested them to failure. But they worked out the problem with the motor manufacturer so we didn't get that rework job. But we ended up with this salvage job and so far, it's showing a lot of promise. We found the root causes of the failures and have refined the rework technique. Methods has been helping us setup the test rigs and trained us on how to safely run them. We've now got a few carbon wrapped motors that have passed the basic tests and now need some field testing. We'd like to offer either the 75-5 or 75-7 for $500 to qualified testers. If they are controlled to run no more than 6,000 rpm and stay under 120C, and they fail, we'll replace it.

Note these are new motors that have been tested to 6150 rpm and kept under 120C. We're balancing the rotors. The carbon wraps result in 55 grams lower weight on the outer surface of the rotor. That may not sound like a lot but it's exactly where you'd want to lose mass.

We have 2D drawings and solidworks models of the motors if needed.
Who's in?

Craig

craigcalfee said:
Hi everyone,
Yes, we've obtained quite a few of these motors and had previously been hired to solve a problem with some of them that resulted in the magnets departing the rotor and the stainless bands failing to restrain them. As Methods described, the forces are huge once you get past 5,000 rpm. The carbon wraps worked and Ryan tested them to failure. But they worked out the problem with the motor manufacturer so we didn't get that rework job. But we ended up with this salvage job and so far, it's showing a lot of promise. We found the root causes of the failures and have refined the rework technique. Methods has been helping us setup the test rigs and trained us on how to safely run them. We've now got a few carbon wrapped motors that have passed the basic tests and now need some field testing. We'd like to offer either the 75-5 or 75-7 for $500 to qualified testers. If they are controlled to run no more than 6,000 rpm and stay under 120C, and they fail, we'll replace it.

Note these are new motors that have been tested to 6150 rpm and kept under 120C. We're balancing the rotors. The carbon wraps result in 55 grams lower weight on the outer surface of the rotor. That may not sound like a lot but it's exactly where you'd want to lose mass.

Who's in?

Craig

Yes please! I'd like one, will send a PM now.

Kind regards,

Jason

I can vouch Craig Calfee is the real deal, has exactly what he is offering, and is an amazing human being who has been a friend for many years.

ATB,
-Luke

craigcalfee said:
Hi everyone,

Who's in?

Craig

Hello,

As mentioned earlier, I am interested in a motor. But there was talk about a motor+controller combo where the controller was pre programmed. That would help a lot. Do you provide this, and what would the price be?

How long can you pump 550A to the 75-7 motor until it reaches 120 degrees celcius? I would like to have one of these in my electric kart if it lasts 10 laps (7-8 minutes) of heavy current :)

Hello,

As mentioned earlier, I am interested in a motor. But there was talk about a motor+controller combo where the controller was pre programmed. That would help a lot. Do you provide this, and what would the price be?

We're hoping to get some controllers to resell but haven't sourced them yet. There are a few options with the Sevcon size 4 and 6 as well as one of the newer Curtis controllers. We're familiar with programming the Sevcon and have a friend that knows the Curtis pretty well. If you can source them and send to us, we''ll program it for you @ $50/hr. Guessing less than 1 hr on that. Also getting set up to make wiring harnesses.

nuxland said:
How long can you pump 550A to the 75-7 motor until it reaches 120 degrees celcius? I would like to have one of these in my electric kart if it lasts 10 laps (7-8 minutes) of heavy current :)

Great question. We'll have to test that out with the Sevcon Size 6 or a Curtis.

Craig

craigcalfee said:
nuxland said:

Great question. We'll have to test that out with the Sevcon Size 6 or a Curtis.

Craig

I'm willing to test that and would like to buy one 75-7 motor :) I have a race this sunday where I'm going with sevcon gen4 size 6 and GM 10kw 48V motor. I'm pumping 400A to 660A to that motor. I used to have controller overheated (went to 80 degrees) after 8th lap, but now I have installed water cooling to the controller and hope it will last 10 laps. I have installed forced inside air cooling to the motor and after 7 laps it was 80 degrees. I have also programmed a windows application that sits in the tabled (it is installed into kart) and records canbus information (I have ixxat usb2can adapter on the kart) to log file with 200ms intervals.
Here is video of testing in race track (then with passive air cooled controller): https://youtu.be/iXPbWTuXLQg

PS! I also have DVT software (the new one with a license) so I can program the controller to the specs you need.

Wow !
Thats probably one of the most comprehensive set of data logging i have seen on any EV ( or any race vehicle ?).
Im sure you dont see much as you are on the track, but which critical data do you monitor as you drive. .?

Your right that gauge overlay into the video give me a Boner. I have an app that did that at on time but after paying for the app I found the whole thing was dead in the water.

Hillhater said:
Wow !
Thats probably one of the most comprehensive set of data logging i have seen on any EV ( or any race vehicle ?).
Im sure you dont see much as you are on the track, but which critical data do you monitor as you drive. .?

It would go offtopic in here, so I have created a post in my kart thread, that will explain in details.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=68543&start=25#p1198217
But basically I can only see motor and controller temp bars from android application during race, even the clearview data is too small to look :)

I could test one in my Zero MX conversion. If you ship to Germany, i`m in. Sevcon size 4

Oooh, I'd love to do a quad rotor or even an octo with these.
How much do they weigh?
Continous torque? @Amps?
Continous Power in good airflow?
Cheers
Paul

schabo said:
I could test one in my Zero MX conversion. If you ship to Germany, i`m in. Sevcon size 4

Sexy bike!

liveforphysics said:
schabo said:

Sexy bike!

I would like to know the weight of the different motors, do you know? Have have tried google and this site, but no dice

Ratking said:
liveforphysics said:
schabo said:

Sexy bike!

I would like to know the weight of the different motors, do you know? Have have tried google and this site, but no dice

Here si the weight for the 75-7R IPM 2016 8)

Doc

Attachments

• 20160722_184325 (Personnalisé).jpg
    20160722_184325 (Personnalisé).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 2,859
nuxland said:

the most significant is the starting temperature of the motor , in winter you get much more time than in summer or form an hot motor.

Second depends on airflow on the fin , i did some try with oilcooling the ZF motor but if air cooled performance are enough for you the best is just to stay on the regular motor ( IPM have better efficiency so it runs cooler )

I have been super busy on other projects. I have a mini-methods now that requires steady income:

miniMethods.jpg

Do we have any field testing data yet?

I have high certainty that the bench testing we did is representative... but no lab testing in the world is as good as 20 crazy guys in the field. :mrgreen:
(That's basically what the military does... After the MIC gets done qualifying something they go out and break it in ways nobody imagined)

So...
Who is ready to report on success or failure?

-methods

Back