MOVIE NITE

Oh, we might have had some nominations for some YouTube videos, but I don't think any of us won. Hey Dogman, could you whip up something to get us on the board next year?

markz said:
So who won an Emmy or Oscar the other night?

I saw Star Wars in the theater a few days ago, it was ok.
The latest Mad Max seemed to clean the board, except for DeCaprio as Best Actor in The Revanent.

Any body seen "Deadpool" ?
Best superhero/comedy /wacky mover so far this year.
"My suit is red, so it doesn't show the blood stains"......"You should wear brown pants !"

I think I have a copy of deadpool and revenant to watch. Deadpool I will like better, it looks awesome and my type movie.

I did just finally decide on the (dryish?) english agatha christie 'endless night'. . .

Almost immediately after starting I have the urge to consider 'picture of dorian gray' (1945).
I saw it as a kid and I have a feeling there was some impact, though the impact may have grew in time;

coincidentally when looking up the movie(picture), it's by an 'oscar wilde' who's quote I just happened to like enough to very recently share ... well wtf to me, the original dorian gray it is, and there's apparently also the 65 year newer version too, and more in between.

dorian.jpg

So I'd think that bike was fixable.

When I was a kid I did stuff like this. There was no 'Parkor' just yet, just some of us that thought it was kewl to be able to jump off the roof, beat a car that was driving around the block, etc.

[youtube]vqF_LQtKbyY[/youtube]

I have 3 gift certificates to use before they expire at the end of April 2016. I am looking at my selection of movies from Landmark Cinemas, I hate those "Terrorist" type movies. Newest is "Eye in the Sky", its just propoganda and people buy into that, they must because they seem to spend money going to see those type of movies. Its not the cheesy fighting Steven Segal or Jakie Chan movies anymore which I also always hated. Its moved to post 9-11 "Terrorist" movies where they try to mimick the news, Sword Fish was on last night, thats a different type of movie, made up BS type of movie. Gotta cash in on the fear, since its always on the news.

My list is the Marvel movie on Monday, then Greek movie on Tuesday. I will hit up Bulk Barn before hand and buy me some candy.

The thing I hate about going to the movie theater when its busy is you keep numb nuts blinding you with their stupid phone. Then you get f'heads kicking the back of your seat too. I do back row, non-busy time = weekday 1pm or 4-5pm movie time slots, and choose a movie thats been out for awhile. Then sneak in the beers and candy.

markz said:
The thing I hate about going to the movie theater when its busy is you keep numb nuts blinding you with their stupid phone. Then you get f'heads kicking the back of your seat too. I do back row, non-busy time = weekday 1pm or 4-5pm movie time slots, and choose a movie thats been out for awhile. Then sneak in the beers and candy.

The seats I usually sit in are those for handicapped, punctuated by spaces comprising the wheelchair area. Mid-distance from the screen, cleaner than the sardine can seats, no fidgety/noisy kids next to you, usually room for us and a couple of guests, and it is much easier to exit when the movie ends or if you have to go to the restroom in the middle of the show. (What ever happened to intermission?) :?
There's lots more legroom to slouch and relax; bring a cane with you and people tend to open doors for you and stuff. (Someone is still teaching manners in this day and age? :shock: )
The only drawback is fallout from the terrace seats above your head if someone accidently drops a drink or popcorn but that rarely happens. :wink:

[youtube]o7wvDJz84Xs[/youtube]

The fingers said:
. . . . if someone accidently drops a drink or popcorn but that rarely happens. :wink:

yeah, usually it's deliberate. Just because they're teaching manners don't mean everyone's learning.

markz said:
Gotta cash in on the fear, since its always on the news.

Yeah, that can be the moneymaker.

Since I"m not working steady I suppose I should try making some little nickel and dime movie, if only to put on YouTube. Not sure what to make it about. Oh, by the way, what are you afraid of?

[youtube]hWSA_amAtQ8[/youtube]

Great movie all around for me. *skips long story about fleslights, cooking shows, metallica st.anger, lord of rings, big leboski. . . .-
vag.jpg
My favorite scenes that immediately spring to mind are the naked zipline art :shock: and when he's driving and drops his joint and. . . :D

*skips long story about fleslights. . . .

Doesn't sound like anything people here would understand anyway. In fact people might have been afraid of the story.

Dauntless, what bike are you refering to above?
Also, 'scared of' = thread idea U should follow up on.
I'm not sure whether to be scared of everything or nothing :oops: :?

The beginning of the movie I posted shows the guy from 'Twilight' throwing away his bike after the girl smashes his front wheel. So how many of the people here would have pulled it out of the trash and put a motor on it? Maybe even a front hub. . . .

'Scared of' was merely a joke that I'm make a movie about what HE was afraid of. Maybe not even a joke, maybe he'd really give me an idea.

I've had this idea since I was in school, before I was ever serious about TV/Film, sort of inspired by 'Beowulf.' One college girl is drowning at the beach, the other is pulling her out. Suddenly the one who was drowning is pulling out the one who was saving her. She claims they were attacked by some sea creature and that's how the rescuer got knocked out. (See the 'Beowulf' connection?) But in this case they just say she was hallucinating. That's the setup to them going home for a visit, off in the hills. Where noone believes what she says she saw. But of course we believe this could happen off in the hills.

One problem Is there was an episode of 'X-Files' that went beyond my original idea of these people who seem to evolve away from being human. One thought is the 'Bigfoot' sightings we were having here in the suburbs a few years back. Everyone was saying the police were trying to cover something up because they kept saying there was no bigfoot. Then this conman guy I sort of know was going through his psychic phase and he led reporters to this big, ugly, hairy, dirty homeless guy. The police saw the pictures and said "Hey, that's exactly who WE thought it was. . . ."

People who know me will say I may not be reckless but I sure don't seem to be afraid of anything. (What's that like?) At least not since i was a kid. Oh, but what I WAS afraid of. . . .

I just watched this movie at home on cable I thought it was pretty good, gave some good shivers up my spine and I originally only planned to watch a bit of it at first and watch the rest later but I just couldn't help but watch it all the way through, thats when you know your watching a decent movie..

One thing I am continually surprised to hear from friends and co-workers etc is 'oh that movie/tv show' was crap.. I ask them did they watch it on a high end home theater setup? The answer is always "no, I watched it on my laptop etc.." I mean WTF.

Anyone see "Saving Private Ryan" in the cinema? it was a memorizing experience for me, when it was playing on a CRT TV at home it was amazing how different the movie was, as it wasn't capturing at all.. but that was an important lesson for me, but that was like 15 years ago and I am surprised some folks never learn how big the difference can be..

Personally I think Netflix or any media really should say at the start "Best viewed on a proper home theater setup" etc especially the sound! As George Lucas is quoted saying "sound is half the experience" of the movie, its why he even created sound quality standards because he felt cinema sound back in the day was crap.

Anyway check out this trailer for The Lazarus Effect
[youtube]1Ks6JqLzVTA[/youtube]

Sweet I missed that one. No need to watch trailer and give anything away, the title, genre, and oliva wilde bode well for my concurrence with positive reviews.

Yeah, people just don't all give a subject the focus others may feel it deserves. Hence trying to watch on a phone/laptop sometimes, but it's more about a mindset to 'get into it'; immersion is choice.

A huge 3d theater experience is more sensually immersive no doubt, with a larger more impactful visual and louder sounds, but as far as personal immersion some of the theater experience is actually detractive to me. I like to think the same experience is possible on a phone if you just let it. I stay away from the theater, and will avoid 3d, 4k, and ever larger screens for the forseeable future so as not to 'cheapen' my setup which is about 7ft from a 42" plasma and a decent stereo.

As long as it's 720p I'm happy. :D
Thanks for the mention, I'm really looking forward to:
dead.jpg
And:
laz.jpg

But do you REALLY need the theater experience for your film? I admit 'Star Wars' films (Of George Lucas) demand it but what about. . . ?

So we're about to taxi away from the terminal, the flight attendant is announcing we gotta put everything away, but the guy a few rows up and across keeps his laptop, DVD player, whatever out in front of him. He's just starting a Sylvester Stallone movie, look at who's in it with him. It's 'The Expendables.' Now, do you REALLY think I needed to hear all the bad jokes? (Though I admit it probably would have made it better.) That was such an in your face film they were up close on anything and anyone, I could see just fine on the postage stamp screen way over there. And I'm convinced I understood perfectly. In fact I feel I enjoyed that one better than the other two, seen on my 24" computer screen up close and in my face, as well as with sound.

But if you ever wondered about "THX sound" on a movie, this was invented by Lucas and his Industrial Light and Magic, named for his first feature 'THX 1138.' (When they take Chewbacca in to rescue the princess from her cell in the original 'Star Wars,' Luke says "Prisoner transfer from 1138.")

it was a memorizing experience. . . .

(Sorry, too good to pass up.)

So you memorized it? That's a long film. An hour and 17 minutes in, I couldn't understand. What were they saying. . . ? I'd be mesmerized by a chance to find out.

Doesn't Stanely Kubrick put some little references in his films too, like a code? The shining for the first time the other day was decent and didn't disappoint, and 'clockwork orange' is a cult classic I remember favorably.

clock.jpg

I was 'hell' bent on seeing lazarus effect yesterday but couldn't find it :x
I did find one called 'Mr Right'

right.jpg

I thought of you dauntless cuz it has that girl that does the song with cups. Movie was not bad and had a little light wacky morbid violence and humor.

anna.jpg

Maybe will rewatch, but maybe will prefer semi-similar 'Super' and 'Push' for rewatchability.

push.jpg

Anyway, 'settled' on 'Spacecop' as it got high ratings. . .

spacecop.jpg

probably by people that WERE high :lol: - it reminds me of airplane or spaceballs or naked gun, but not quite as A-list.

nutspecial said:
I thought of you dauntless cuz it has that girl that does the song with cups.

Oh, I don't remember mentioning doing that. Or maybe I just seem like the type. A couple weeks ago I got a waitress downtown doing it with me since she was having a slow night, I explained how it's originally from the Carter Family, one of whom Reese Witherspoon played in 'Walk the Line,' did the original as 'Will You Miss Me when I'm gone?' (June Carter hadn't been born yet.) Turned out she was a music major so this turned interesting for her.

I gave in and watched the "Eye in the Sky" movie. It was rated high on Rotten Tomatoes website.
I would have given this movie a 60%, not 95%. Why? Because of the stupid emotion the military drone pilots showed, plus the stupid back and forth in the war room about saving one girl but putting 50 to death if the militants were to escape with bombs strapped to their chest. The director was trying to pull tears out of a dumb story line. I did not give in. I knew it would be that type of movie, I just about walked out but I had nothing else to do so I had to put up with the stupid non-real-life story line.

Dauntless said:
But do you REALLY need the theater experience for your film? I admit 'Star Wars' films (Of George Lucas) demand it but what about. . . ?

So we're about to taxi away from the terminal, the flight attendant is announcing we gotta put everything away, but the guy a few rows up and across keeps his laptop, DVD player, whatever out in front of him. He's just starting a Sylvester Stallone movie, look at who's in it with him. It's 'The Expendables.' Now, do you REALLY think I needed to hear all the bad jokes? (Though I admit it probably would have made it better.) That was such an in your face film they were up close on anything and anyone, I could see just fine on the postage stamp screen way over there. And I'm convinced I understood perfectly. In fact I feel I enjoyed that one better than the other two, seen on my 24" computer screen up close and in my face, as well as with sound.

But if you ever wondered about "THX sound" on a movie, this was invented by Lucas and his Industrial Light and Magic, named for his first feature 'THX 1138.' (When they take Chewbacca in to rescue the princess from her cell in the original 'Star Wars,' Luke says "Prisoner transfer from 1138.")

it was a memorizing experience. . . .

(Sorry, too good to pass up.)

So you memorized it? That's a long film. An hour and 17 minutes in, I couldn't understand. What were they saying. . . ? I'd be mesmerized by a chance to find out.
OK you got me, I guess I should now make a request to the forum admins to permanently ban me and have my IP firewalled from even reaching the es forums server...
I agree you don't need much for good movie experience at home but it still has to be done right... I don't see how sitting at a computer desk in front of a PC screen or Laptop screen and using laptop speakers can give a comparable movie experience but there are ways..

I got this Teclast X16 pro tablet for about $250 including delivery about 5 months ago from gearbest.com, has the latest Intel Cherry trail processor (same as whats in the MS Surface 3 ) but of course these are lower power processes deliberately designed in response to slowing being crushed by ARM processors which no doubt will over time eat into the desktop PC market on a long enough time frame, but these processors still work great.
I been using it in Tablet mode watching Netflix etc in bed and the screen is fantastic, its proper 1080P resolution 11.6" sized screen, 4GB ram, 64GB solid state storage, windows 10. Using it with ear phones in bed and resting it on my chest it has just as good quality video as I would get in a $40 a movie Gold Class cinema theater seat.. Only difference I can't hit a button and have instant waiter service deliver me an alcoholic beverage while not taking my eyes off the screen..

Now if you claim that having a laptop sitting on your chest is comfortable then I will demanding you should be banned and firewalled from the ES forums.. Its just not the same as having a thin high resolution 11.6" tablet on my chest laying back in the dark, with this setup I can forget its a tablet and actually feel myself fooled into thinking I am sitting in a super premium cinema..

I been deliberately trying to compare both experiences for the last 6 months and a mere $250 Tablet is very much just as good.. I have had 3 Apple iPads now and while I grab the iPad for quick access internet radio/weather etc I always turn to my Teclast X16 for my in bed premium private cinema experience, and its delighting to know that these tablets are just getting cheaper and better by the month...
http://techtablets.com/teclast-x16-power/

I still haven't gotten to see 'lazarus effect', but 'dead pool' was cool.

Out of maybe 3 or 4 I actually liked this year, so far 'HARCORE HENRY' I've found the most unique along with entertaining. I don't know how they do it, but the fps action was pretty dam fluid, and the story wasn't intricate or that involved but also wasn't a let down.

HH.png

Ps beastie, I hear ya on watching crap on tiny screens, vs large ones, as well as audio you can 'feel'.

So let's see. A madman by the name of Werner Herzog once pointed a gun at Klaus Kinski to keep him from walking off the set when he was fed up with the insanity of Herzog. This was during the making of a movie on madness and obsession called 'Fitzcarraldo' which is NOT a true story in the greatest tradition of movies about real people that did real things. (If it was the true story it wouldn't be about madness and obsession.)

I've always laughed AT (Not WITH) Herzog. Which infuriates the wife of my friend, whose great filmmaking idol IS Herzog. (I'm more the Haskell Wexler type, as one could guess.) This being the guy who says that movies are for the illiterate and that you should steal cameras and film to make movies, etc. But what the hey, if he says you should watch 'The Battle of Algiers,' if Darren Aronofsky is in agreement, what the hey, I'll watch 'The Battle of Algiers.' This is a French film about enemies of the French.

He also says that you have to read the novel 'The Peregrine.' But wait a minute, he said we're supposed to be illiterate. (Laughing.)

410tZb3yOVL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

[youtube]Kerzij1vtQA[/youtube]

So people were screening their work tonight, most amazing was this short with Randall Park of 'Fresh Off The Boat' that's just 13 minutes.

[youtube]lhUX8PmOdZk[/youtube]

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/health/k2-overdose-brooklyn-synthetic-marijuana/index.html

My thought is there's a movie in this. I asked what scares you; legalized drugs scare me. Synthetic drugs scare me. People who can't figure out they're dogmeat when they take drugs scare me. But then how many low budget horror movies have already started this way? Don't care, they still scare me.

If you go to see the next such film, the career you save could be my own.

Back