Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

v3.1 Beta 4 Released (DigiAux)

After some additional testing and tweaking, the DigiAux firmware release is ready to go. :D

Related posts:

DigiAuxExample.jpg
As promised, this release is compatible with the previous 3.1b3 release so you can flash the NoEeprom version and preserve your present settings. There was a tiny change to the Custom Views EEPROM data, but if you just reconfigure that single parameter after flashing, all will be well. Even if you don't need the DigiAux feature, upgrading will fix a couple of other minor bugs and will give you the newer serial data log record format (all mentioned below).

And here's a summary version of the included Release Notes:

3.1b4 Release Notes said:
Note: V3.1b4 Setup files are **incompatible** with firmware or Setup files of any release prior to 3.1b3 including all earlier 3.1 versions.

IMPORTANT: Please install this package according to README_install.txt. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Setup Utility.

IMPORTANT: After installing this zip package on a PC, the Setup utility will no longer be able to properly utilize Setup files prepared for versions prior to 3.1b3. Settings in files prior to 3.1b3 will not display or edit properly and will download to the CA incorrectly resulting in improper CA operation. Similarly, setup files prepared with this release cannot be used with earlier CA 3.1 firmware versions. 3.0 Setup files are unaffected.

>> Any incompatible existing CA setup must be recorded and manually reconfigured over a fresh 'CA3-1b4_firmware.hex' installation.

>> All existing CA Setups prior to 3.1b3 must either be:
  1. exported manually from the CA console (at least the statistics)
  2. OR read by the Setup Utility and preserved in screen snapshots PRIOR to installing this package. Saving to a 3.1 Setup file and reading the file after installing the zip package will not work.
>> Existing 3.1b3 setups are compatible with this release, allowing re-flash of 3.1b4 firmware using the 'xxx_NoEeprom.hex' version to preserve an existing configuration. However, there is a small difference in the Pref->CustViews bit mapping. That particular parameter should be opened in either Console or Software Setup and the custom field selection corrected if necessary.

IMPORTANT: Because the firmware flash will load default settings, throttle voltage configuration may be incorrect. Treat this as an initial CA installation and place the bike on a stand or otherwise elevate the drive wheel to prevent a runaway when the flash completes and before a proper configuration can be restored.

(1) 1730 - (new) Add AuxPot support of pushbutton limit and preset selection

• This new 'digital' Aux Input mode can operate either as an alternative to, or in conjunction with, the previous 'analog' mode. This gives three hardware configuration options:
    1. Analog Only: any of the existing analog pot/switch options
    2. Digital Only: the new digital 1 or 2 pushbutton options
    3. Analog + Digital: both analog and digital controls to operate two entirely different AuxPot control functions
      (e.g. Digital = 'Amps Limiting' and Analog = 'PAS Assist')
    New V310.cas and V310.hex files are installed with this package to upgrade the Setup Utility to display two Aux categories instead of the original one.
(2) 1730 - (new) Serial log 'AuxA' and 'AuxD' columns replace old 'Aux' column
(3) 1730 - (new) Custom 'AuxA' and 'AuxD' views replace old 'AuxLim' View
(4) 2390 - The Gear-inch Custom View should be suppressed when not pedaling
(5) 2392 - Custom Fields have periodic display glitching
So, as always: "Have at it!" and post up your beta test results and any pics or info on your digital control implementations... :D

Download!
View attachment 1
(Previously implemented 3.1b3 beta features (part of this build) described here and in the Release Notes.)
(Newer 3.1b5 beta release available here!)

Guys, is the following a correct implementation of the digital-only UP/DOWN circuit using a momentary rocker?

digital-aux-momentary.png

Looking forward to trying it.
Bought dual wuxing buttons, they seem like a good fit for auxd mod http://m.ebay.com/itm/272009885557

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lightrush said:
Guys, is the following a correct implementation of the digital-only UP/DOWN circuit using a momentary rocker?

digital-aux-momentary2.png
Exactly right. Thanks for the helpful illustration! :D
(I jazzed it a tiny bit so folks could cut 'n paste it into other posts as needed...)

larghio said:
Bought dual wuxing buttons, they seem like a good fit for auxd mod...
Wow, those are a great find!
I think I've looked at 1000 different button thingies, but this Wuxing DK-11 has nice buttons you can hit with gloves and lots of room for a couple of parts inside.

• I've seen a similar unit that Wuxing sells with green and red buttons instead of two green where the red button is locking ON-OFF (not good for this application), so a little care in ordering is needed...
Thanks for the post!

lightrush said:

Yes exactly, and here's what that looks like in practice:
DigitalRocker Ex1.jpg

You may be able to use just the diode and leave out the pull-up reistor in a pinch since there is some level of internal pull-up of the Aux In in the CA, but I'd recommend leaving it there to ensure a stiff signal.

I'm using this $2 rocker switch from digikey which is a drop in fit for the ubiquitous 3-position handlebar switches, so if you have one of those it's quite easy to pop out the latching switch and replace it with the momentary rocker and change the wiring appropriately.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/e-switch/R1966IBLKBLKEP/R1966IBLKBLKEP-ND/1805175
View attachment 1

That's a pretty quick and inexpensive way to convert what was just a 3 position switch into now a 5, 10, or however many you want levels you want digital aux input. I'll be prototyping another one which uses a 6-conductor cable in it so that at the other end it has both the male and female 3-pin plugs, allowing you to connect in an analog potentiometer too. That should reflect the circuit design that we bring into production but if all you want is the digital input mode the simple diode and resistor layout above is nice and easy.

Thanks for proofreading it. That's exactly what I'm planning to do. I have a 3-position switch which I'm converting the way you described. :D

lightrush said:
Thanks for proofreading it. That's exactly what I'm planning to do. I have a 3-position switch which I'm converting the way you described. :D
guess who else ordered rocker switches yesterday :)

Capture.JPG
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/mini-rocker-switch-momentary-rocker-switch-3pins-ON-OFF-ON/691399284.html
i like to have spares

and here's another double button switch - seeing "wuxing and dk-11" on the pictures above helped a lot finding it

Capture1.JPG
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/bike-Scooter-Wuxing-biswitch-original-headlights-button-hedlight-switch/32599530173.html

I like these momentary switches for motocycles, they're not exactly cheap, though:

$_35.JPG

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motogadget-m-switch-Taster-Armatur-2-Tasten-22-mm-schwarz/152009393577?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140117130753%26meid%3D66b947ec38e04766b94835ffe30d4514%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D151170770489

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Schwarzer-Aluminium-Lenkertaster-Switch-Taster-fur-Motorrad-22-mm-Lenker-/281776428606?hash=item419b2f163e:g:NaIAAOSwT6pV0sD-

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Chrom-Aluminium-Lenkertaster-Switch-Taster-fur-Motorrad-22-mm-Lenker-/281854471675?hash=item419fd5edfb:g:nTUAAOSw14xWQ3Oi

There is even a three-switch version available:

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Schwarzer-Aluminium-Lenkertaster-Switch-Taster-Triple-fur-Motorrad-22-mm-Lenker-/282048504796?hash=item41ab66a3dc:g:A~kAAOSwdG9XRT1b

Just browse through 'motocycle switch' from the 'expensive side' down at your local Ebay.

So the manufacturer makes.... what? $100 profit on every unit sold?
I don't mean to bitch about it. I know you're all fans here, and I admit it deserves the price, for what it does! But I'm sure it doesn't take more than $30 to make.
I'm bitching mostly because I have to pay (130 for it + 47 shipment to Europe) X 24% customs fee = $220 , my paycheck for 2 weeks.
Oh well, enjoy yours guys. I'll search for a cheaper alternative. I simply can't afford that...

dvdrwsor said:
I don't mean to bitch about it. I know you're all fans here, and I admit it deserves the price, for what it does! But I'm sure it doesn't take more than $30 to make.
I'm bitching mostly because I have to pay (130 for it + 47 shipment to Europe) X 24% customs fee = $220 , my paycheck for 2 weeks.
Oh well, enjoy yours guys. I'll search for a cheaper alternative. I simply can't afford that...
so what's your problem? nothing to see here, just move on ...
and yes. they are making almost 101% profit. and they don't deserve it. really. they should give them out for free. :evil:

lightrush said:
dvdrwsor said:
Haha, I didn't even look at the price. Yeah that seems a bit excessive.
i guess he's talking about the CA. those switches are not 130.-

lightrush said:
izeman said:
i guess he's talking about the CA. those switches are not 130.-
Are you sure? :)
yes. because pricing is in euro. and he's in europe as well, as he said, and international shipping for the (still quite expensive) switch is 12.-, and there would be no import taxes for him. so i'm afraid he really is talking about the CA.
btw: i'm a rich guy. i have 3x CA-v3 and 4x CA-v2. i even installed one on my charger. ;)

izeman said:
so what's your problem? nothing to see here, just move on ...
and yes. they are making almost 101% profit. and they don't deserve it. really. they should give them out for free. :evil:
btw: i'm a rich guy. i have 3x CA-v3 and 4x CA-v2. i even installed one on my charger.

I didn't say he should not make any profit, or that he doesn't deserve it. Be a nice person. You'll live longer and better. Congratulation on your fortune!

Marc S. said:
Instead of bitching about costs for shipment and tax, you should have checked ebike dealers in your area who sell the CA V3 as well.

Yeap, found it. Just $300.89

Marc S. said:
Good luck searching for a cheaper alternative, though. There is none. :mrgreen:

I know...
Your smile is evil :) I didn't bad mouth the CA V3. I actually said it's a good product. And of course, the manufacturer has the right to sell it with whatever he thinks it will make him a good profit. You can put a big price on a product, but the price of this tends to be ridiculous.
I think you can compensate big price profit with bigger sales profit, and at the same time help the community.
I fixed the location.

Mr. Justin Lemire Elmore, please help a fellow rider and send me an PM with a special price for your product. ;)
Maybe izeman could send me one. He has 7. :D

dvdrwsor said:
Mr. Justin Lemire Elmore, please help a fellow rider and send me an PM with a special price for your product. ;)
Maybe izeman could send me one. He has 7. :D
prices have gone down. they were more expensive. and there WAS a special offer for beta testers. that time is long gone.
it's a mature product that is still worked on - you won't find that on many products on the market.
and every sell of the CA keeps this forum independant as ES "belongs" to justin.
so: is 149.- a lot of money? maybe if you earn 400.-/month. but i can't buy a ferrari either. but i don't go to ferrari forums and tell ppl that that car is over priced. and you won't find a better product for less - if you already have a bms and controller that is. if you need all of these an adapto system my be in that range as well. but cheaper? no.

Look guys - this is a thread about CA beta software, not your personal economic views.
Please take it someplace else along with the silly 'commentary' giant images that have nothing to do with the thread topic.

Back