Gear Sensor for Bafang BBS02 Mid Drive *+ other mid-drives?*

Tough crowd... :)

It's like a tap to the ebrake, without the chance of actually activating the brake by mistake.
Press the button, shift, release the button.
I don't mind the 0,3 seconds delay. I don't race, just enjoy the ride. I'm also cheap, so that cold explain most things.

I just realized that you might be asian-sarcastic, and actually think it's a good idea.

It doesn't cut cheese either way for many riders. More Gimmick than useful for many riders. Working customer service I saw a fair number of returns. Pain in the butt installation on some bikes.

Is the GS a total waste of money?
https://electricbike-blog.com/2016/03/21/is-the-gearsensor-a-total-waste-of-money-or-a-must-have/

Isn't the response from the GS (with a dedicated controller input) supposed to be much quicker than a tap of the brake lever?

I thought that the whole reason why the GS was invented was because it takes too long for the brakes to cut and then reapply power (plus the convenience factor).

It is faster, but i've been riding without for nearly 2 1/2 years. Six of us here tested the GS and most were unimpressed. Lectric Cycle managed to have an exclusive for a year and they didn't get wide distribution. People love them and people hate them. Read Karl's review. It pretty much nails it. I have several including the controller version. Meh.

"Almost all shifting problems I’ve ever had with the BBSxx have come from bent derailleur hangers or misaligned derailleurs. In my experience, a properly tuned and straight derailleur should not break chains even when shifting under load. Many people who use the BBSxx just tap their ebrakes when shifting under PAS which essentially does the exact same thing as the gearsensor.

What about with my fancy expensive IGH?

For an IGH it’s a totally different story. Many 3 speed IGHs like the Nexus 3 and the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub seem to not complain too much when shifted under load. I have beaten the crap out of my 3 speed IGH’s and shifted them constantly under load without any issues. Other IGH like many more delicate 7 or 8 speed IGHs will absolutely self-destruct if they are shifted under the full 1500W load of a BBSHD, so a gear sensor would be absolutely mandatory in that instance."

In the end, the choice is yours of whether to go with the gear sensor. In all honestly, I could take it or leave it, $55 buys a lot of drugs beans and rice. My two E-Rad branded BBS02 drive units are my least used ebikes in my garage, and I seem to get by just fine without a gear sensor on my other 10 ebikes. If you’re an ebike fanatic and you don’t mind springing for the extra $50 it might be worthwhile for you. I’ve just gotten in the habit of not pedaling for two seconds when I want to shift, then shifting and then starting to pedal again. As the power slowly ramps back up your shift will be silky smooth and chain-crunching free.

If I was building an ebike for my wife, I would use a Gearsensor (and I did), since she is not really into mechanical stuff and this saves the IGH. When I build for myself I don't bother with it and just backpedal...... Anyone who is deep enough into ebikes to have read Karls blog or who has come here will have no use for it, but the rest of the world has a definite need.

Gear sensors have the greatest benefit for less experienced riders. That being said there have been times on difficult technical trails where my GS has checked me when I was more focused on the terrain than backing off while shifting

Here a new Y-adapter/splitter/bifurcator for a 3-pole yellow HIGO connector with female contacts, ideal for integrating a gearsensor into your system by tapping into your brake line:

The HIGO-3Y Y-adaptor/splitter has been developed by e-bike-technologies, using 2 female and 1 male HIGO 3-pole panel mount connectors soldered to a small circuit board, then potted with epoxy and encased with 2 laser printed plastic halves. The inbuilt lenght is only 32 mm or 1 1/4".

Back