Trampa EMTB EToxx Dual VESC SK3 6374 10S6P DIY Battery

hey there just contact jens from etoxx via mail or directly here on the forum -> user: nowind! not sure how MBS and trampa trucks are compatible concerning the motor mounts, but jens will certainly know and set you up! :D

I didnt use the enertion motors, in my trampa I got 2x sk3 6374 192KV running! cheaper and a monster of a motor :twisted:

I wondered as the enertion do look expensive. Price you pay for taking the risk out of motor selection I guess.
I cannot find those sk3 6374 192KV in stock anywhere ! Did you go through hobbyking ?

Thanks for the tip

I'm new...I've done as much searching and reading as I can handle. This is my first post. First off, this TRAMPA board with the e-toxx mounts is awesome. I'm doing nearly the same build and need help making some choices. I have the:
•TRAMPA HolyPro 35 board w/SuperStar wheels and Vertigo trucks already purchased.

The next thing I want to do is buy:
•E-TOXX Carbon Fibre Chain Drive kit (Mount, sprockets, etc)

This mount seems like a very nice looking choice.

But then I don't know what motors, ESC, or battery set up to go with and this is where I'd like some input. I was thinking about the Leopard Hobby Brushless LC8072 10T motor but I'm unsure whether to choose Ollin VESC, TB 12S ESC, or something else.

And for the battery I haven't got a clue.

This is my goal that I need help with: I'm approx 105 KG (I'm in the US so I'll try to do the conversions for you 230lbs), 5'10" (1.78 Meters...I don't know what your convert this to, sorry), and I want to be able to go as fast as possible (preferably 20-30mph or 32-48km/h )but still reach near 15-20miles (24-30km) on one charge (whether it's multiple battery packs or one custom battery pack).

Can anyone guide me to the choices I should make in motors, ESC/VESC, and battery combo (I also understand sprocket size can change too)?

I apologize if this is not the right place for this, like I said...I'm new. Oh and....I'm not looking to make a hobby out of this for continuous tinkering, I just need a good electric off-road board for transportation as I'm a cross country truck driver that enjoys exploring different places here in the U.S. as well as needs transportation from place to place within towns.

hey man, if I should do it all again, Id make a few things differently.

1.) no vescs, but really strong car escs. vescs arent equipped to deal with the high currents you probably want and need on a mountain board. watch nowinds videos to know what I mean!

2.) no 18650 based diy battery, but a) a smaller A123 battery for high currents, at least 200A burst current in my eyes or b) swappable hobbyking lipo packs! Im tending to the latter solution (again, see nowind). small light packs with very high discharge rating, that, once they are emty, can be easily replaced by another from your backpack if you need the range.

3.) motors are fine, the sk6374 are comparably cheap and really good. I think nowinds 80mm motors are a little too crazy. low weight is the key to fun imo!

all in all, I would follow nowinds build exactly, except for his insanity mode motors, I would use regular sk6374 190KV.

btw, riding 48kph on a trampa is REALLY sketchy, not sure you know yet what youre asking for. the boards are extremely flexible and quite agile. I didnt really enjoy 40kph, always felt like some speed wobble was dangling above my head like damokles sword! :p

If I were you, Id follow nowinds latest build (nowind = jens = etoxx): https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=80970
and just skip the redonculous monster motors! I gotta say though, I really like the big chain of that build - wasnt too happy with the small etoxx stock chain, it extended quickly in dirt and it jumped off the sprocket once. think the leopard etoxx chain is probably a little more sturdy and might require less maintenance! what I also love are the 2 car escs with the carbon plate mount - if you ask him nicely, maybe he sells it! and finally a potent lipo, as lightweight as possible. if you make a tour, put a few more of these in your backpack! :D

Thanks Whitepony...I used the speed really to just serve a point...I don't want a setup that compromises speed for extra range nor do I want a setup that compromises range for faster speed...I want it right in the middle. And I don't intend to go that fast everywhere, I just want to know that if I have the crazy desire to go that fast, then it is available.

As far as carrying extra batteries in a back pack versus on the board, how is there a difference? The weight is still on the wheels either way. I'm not trying to aggravate you, I'm just curious if there is a notes able difference.

The motors I feel really set on...I need to find a site to buy them from. And I'm trying to figure out what Nowind has setup as far as a mount designed for the leopard motor with a larger tire on the Trampa trucks...I sent him an email today (time zones prevent an immediate response) so I'm waiting to hear back from him.

I believe Nowind suggested a 12S-3P battery (like: 6pcs 6S 6000mAh Batteries)...any suggestions on brands? I believe lipo's are the choice. I haven't done further research beyond that.

And I'm still trying to figure out with that battery setup and the leopard 8072's if I would need a 12s ESC (such as a Torqueboard ESC) or if I should go with an 8s ESC (like the MAX 6)? Does anyone else have any experience or preference that would help me choose?

I'm trying to get this build designed so I can buy the parts and do a build video or tutorial.

Thanks again for help of any kind.

TBs esc is probably great for this, as it is equipped for a lot of power and it seems very robust with large heat sinks. the escs of nowind have the advantage, that he got a gorgeous fitting carbon baseplate to mount directly on the trampa! :D

about the battery backpack thing, Im thinking more around the lines of: you ride with your car or cruise with the board to some location, where you want to practice some tricks or maybe go mad on a dirt trail ... you leave your bag somewhere at the side and go mad with minimal weight.

my trampa is pretty heavy, and one major contribution was this madly oversized 10S6P battery. I thought the trampa would be a cool touring board, but in my eyes it isnt - its made for action! 8)

OHHH!!!! Ok, that battery part makes more sense now. I was looking at it more for a long term cruise. But you're saying, carry extra batteries...get to the place you want to rip....set the weight down...then play around and switch batteries as needed! Ok. Obviously, carrying batteries seems like a nuisance but for doing what you're saying that is completely the best option.

NOWIND and I are collaborating on a monster setup! I think I'll go the route with the added batteries in the backpack to swap out.

Just need to decide on the ESC. Nowind made a point in a PM to me that the MAX 6 (8s) is really all the power necessary, but I like to leave room for improvement. I've looked at the MAX 6 design over and over and they are just built like nothing else! But the TB and VESC can handle more power...this is the room I'm wanting. I don't want to buy a Porsche with nice wheels and then put a ton of modifications to the motor but decide to use an inexpensive computer to be the brain of the operation. I want the full package that way it lasts a long time with little to no problems and its capable of handling all mods I decide to ever do in the future (probably nothing...but just in case).

Is there a particular battery you would choose over any others? Zippy, Turnigy, etc? Are all batteries with the same ratings made to weigh the same?

Also, you say the Trampa board is not great for just cruising, do you have a board that would be better for cruising off-road?

LazySrfr85 said:
Is there a particular battery you would choose over any others? Zippy, Turnigy, etc? Are all batteries with the same ratings made to weigh the same?

Also, you say the Trampa board is not great for just cruising, do you have a board that would be better for cruising off-road?

sorry, Im not a big lipo expert - stick to nowind, he has tried many different ESCs, battery packs and motors. thats why I would also trust him with the escs he is using. what makes you think the ezrun max 6 is inexpensive? its build extremely well, delivers 160A continuous with 1000A peak and looks like a really sick package! :shock:

think in dirt, the trampa is the best cruiser you can get, cause its quite comfortable to ride with the great flex! where I live its mostly concrete and pneumatics wear down fast on that! overall standing on the trampa in a cruise stance wasnt super comfortable, because its a camber shape. for me, a rocker shape is pleasant on the longer run - maybe I shouldve chosen a less stiff trampa but, i mean, the trampa is a sports machine for dirt - it simply is not a cruiser. 8)

Hi
Just my 2 Cents on the controller issue.
I tried the MAX6 and yes it does deliver great power - especially burst power that the VESC definitely cannot.
All round, on performance, one of the best of the 5 controllers I have used on 8S.
But - I no longer use it due to the very loud and annoying braking whine it gives off. I tried with two different motors (6374 170KV and 6355 240KV) and felt embarrassed whenever I had to break and people were around, man it was a crappy loud whine. Of course if you are going to be using it in the dirt this probably will not be an issue.
All the best on your build.

Whitepony...I just meant that a nice car wouldn't have an inexpensive computer running it, so I'm trying to make sure that whatever ESC I use, hopefully it can be the best that is available. Not calling any of the ESC's inexpensive (the price is pretty high for 2 items that can easily fit in your hands) but I do want to make sure I choose my best option.

WeeChumlee, what option did you switch to? I've heard that whine in many guys videos...I just thought it was the motors not able to fully move. Didn't realize it was related to the ESC.

Hi LazySrfr85

I am now using a 12S 150A ESC from AlienPower that I got from Bruno. Unfortunately these are not yet on his website, not sure when they will be officially available.
Looks exactly like the ESC from Torqueboards but does have a fan attached to it. I find it to be exactly what I want. It drives my single setup 6374 170KV motor with the punch and the breaking that I want.
It has more punch than my dual 6355 setup that is being driven by VESCs and though the VESCs do have a slightly more controlled braking it is a very small difference.
I personally have never used Torqueboards 12S ESC but have heard good things about it and from what I have read I would think this is probably the better choice for your application. (Assumption based on hearsay)
Sure, the VESC is far more configurable and has some very good features - without a doubt. Personally though the pretty much plug&play of other ESCs would be my choice.

WeeChumlee said:
Hi LazySrfr85

I am now using a 12S 150A ESC from AlienPower that I got from Bruno. Unfortunately these are not yet on his website, not sure when they will be officially available.
Looks exactly like the ESC from Torqueboards but does have a fan attached to it.

Do you have any pictures of your ESC with a fan?

I was going to try the Dual TB 12S ESC's but I was going to attach some fans as well.

Well, do you store them in a box? I live in Florida...95-105Farenheit in the summer...but I plan to travel with my board as well, so I thought putting the Electronics in watertight boxes would be good and add a fan or two or three to reduce any heat. But is there a negative side to using fans?

Sorry WhitePony for taking over your post. I'm still not sure where to post this build. I'm waiting on Nowind to write me back about the 9" wheel kit and then I'll hopefully start buying the parts. I'm looking for a good place to buy the Leopard 8072's otherwise I would have those already.

Back