hoverboard wheels for scooter

xadmx

1 kW
my daughter has a scooter but it has a brushed motor i got hold of a couple of hoverboard wheels there 350watt each.
i was thinking of fitting one to the rear of her scooter and see how good they are. anyone done this or any idea what the speed might be. i have ordered a 350watt controller to test it out.

Ive been wondering how these would perform with star delta switching and maybe electrically and mechanically connecting two together for a few kilowatt of power in delta mode.
If they were put back too back flip the phase on one and match the halls to suit use on a single controller the two wheels would act as one motor with a fair kick in delta I bet it would go over 30mph with 48v easy.

Ianhill said:
Ive been wondering how these would perform with star delta switching and maybe electrically and mechanically connecting two together for a few kilowatt of power in delta mode.
If they were put back too back flip the phase on one and match the halls to suit use on a single controller the two wheels would act as one motor with a fair kick in delta I bet it would go over 30mph with 48v easy.

i was looking at switching star delta but i would need 6 wires coming out the hub and the hole in the shaft is small the shaft is 16mm and the hole is 7mm, but i might see if i can drill it out amd give it a go.
2 speed sounds fun :D

Try and find some small changeover relays and fit them in the gaps near the centre of the hub the only extra wires u will need then will be live and negative to activate the relays.

Ianhill said:
Try and find some small changeover relays and fit them in the gaps near the centre of the hub the only extra wires u will need then will be live and negative to activate the relays.

to my surprise i did get the 6 wires in the hole, i had to use the wire that was already on the motor because its teflon coated and very thin insulation, (anyone no where to buy this wire) but it will do to test it out :D

i am rewinding one of the wheels to test.
the hubs are 15 turns 4 stands 0.3mm wire. aaabbbcccaaabbbccc

What winding pattern are u planing on using ? What's the end goal maybe thicker strands and less windings for a bit more rpm and current handling while still using the delta wye switching ?

Ianhill said:
What winding pattern are u planing on using ? What's the end goal maybe thicker strands and less windings for a bit more rpm and current handling while still using the delta wye switching ?

i am going to use the standard one for delta/wye for testing but i thought i would rewind one and try it with my 1000w controller just for fun.

i have started making the deck. i was going to fit it to my daughters scooter but it will be ust as easy to make a new deck then i can make it to size for the batteries and controller to fit under the deck. i was on the way to the shop last night and someone had put a scooter out for the scrap man. it had missing wheels but now i have the handle bars and headset bits. plus my front wheel come today it is off a razor 100 scooter.

i am going to weld a nut onto the box section so i can slide the wheel in and lock in place. quick and easy wheel change.

What's the plan for the front wheel use a hub motor for that as well ?
By the looks two may fit back to back inside the rear of a razor e300 frame if not mounted outboard they would look cool too just ride like a pig in the twisty bits I'll dig some dimensions out and have a check these hubs are dirt cheap too at the moment and I have a spare e300 frame with no use its slowly tempting me to have a play.

Ianhill said:
What's the plan for the front wheel use a hub motor for that as well ?
By the looks two may fit back to back inside the rear of a razor e300 frame if not mounted outboard they would look cool too just ride like a pig in the twisty bits I'll dig some dimensions out and have a check these hubs are dirt cheap too at the moment and I have a spare e300 frame with no use its slowly tempting me to have a play.

my daughters scooter is a razor 100 but running 36v 18650 at the mo but it has a brushed motor.
i am going to use a razor 100 front wheel as you can get them super cheap. the hub motor is about 170mm overall and the razor wheel is 200mm so its not far off. plus it was the only small wheel i could find :D.
i just hope the e-abs has enough power to stop it or i will have to drill the case and bolt a small disc brake to it.

i might have a go at a two wheel drive one but i need to get one up and running to stop her doing my head in lol.

Happy to see how to turn the hoverboard frenzy into something usefull. There are already plenty used hoverboards on sales for cheap price that can be used for a 2wd power kit...

Flexscoot said:
Happy to see how to turn the hoverboard frenzy into something usefull. There are already plenty used hoverboards on sales for cheap price that can be used for a 2wd power kit...

i was going to go the rc motor route but like you say these are so cheap now i thought i might aswell give it a go.

i found this link that shows the same model wheel 24v-60v 180w-500w specs, if its right it looks like these might have a bit of potential.
http://www.daaomotor.com/html/piaoyiche/178.html

just need to start fitting all the bits now, i might use some nice wood for the deck. but i do have some aluminium chequer plate i might use.
i am going to 3d print the rear mud guard and the front panel cover.

torqueboards,thanks

started putting this together i should have waited for the controller as the fit is really tight, but for my fist one it will be ok for the prototype.
i just sprayed it with mat black for now i didn't even sand it down very good so it looks rough close up. but i just want to test it out then make i super clean one.

Its coming along great very compact and well thought out, hope your skinny mind if you want to tackle any inclines but it is very stealthy in black it could be easily mistaken for a UK legal push scooter if the design on the rear wheel didnt give the game away look forward to hearing how she rolls.

quic vid of delta wye. 350watt controller 36v. 10s 5p pack

part1
https://youtu.be/nC4G237KGFA

part2
https://youtu.be/AHZEc5-N-l8

Spins up pretty fast in Delta mode, off load mind so gonna have to watch it don't burn up overloading it, the torque demand be higher than usual being just the single unit as they work in pairs and thats what will suck the current and create the heat, 2 or 4 with wye/ delta mode helping each other may survive but I don't think one alone will it may overheat when boosting it or even full throttle. Need some stress tests next :)

amberwolf said:
Maybe use the other hoverboard motor for a friction drive on a bike? ;)

like your thinking it could be an easy conversion with one of these. :D

torqueboards said:
Are you using two or just one hub motor?

just the one onn the back, these have a bit of power so i am doing a disc brake conversion just in case.

So prototype the first frame work the bugs out and then do a rewind motor for a faster version ?
The disk brake be best suited to the front with rear e-abs, my scooter had a rear brake only and would slide to a stop eventually, the hubs solid tyre may wear down with flat spots if its skidding about.

Ianhill said:
So prototype the first frame work the bugs out and then do a rewind motor for a faster version ?
The disk brake be best suited to the front with rear e-abs, my scooter had a rear brake only and would slide to a stop eventually, the hubs solid tyre may wear down with flat spots if its skidding about.

i am ging to put one on the front aswell but i had to use the ony size disc i had, i have ordered a smaller disc 120mm so will change it whe it gets here but the brake works awesome.
i 3d prited an adapter ad theres loads of room inside the hub for the bolts.

Looks awesome credit due by there put a lot of effort in. Bet your itching to get out on it

Back