10S custom skate ESC: testers wanted!

Hi guy I video for all of you nubes and any one who has a spare hour

[youtube]5HLZaMcYRuY[/youtube]

@jacobbloy,

You are one awesome dude, thanks for all your work on this project! I can't wait to check out your android app; real time data stream and the ability to write configs out in the field will be a game changer!

gokartnisse said:
I cannot believe how this ESC have exploded in the e-skateboard community. It all started 2,5 years ago when I have had a few beers and wanted to do something fun for my bachelors thesis...
Benjamin was really kind and helped us making his BLDC-driver get suited for the needs we had during the project and it performed well most of the time. Quite a lot och breakdowns and late nights when Benjamin put a lot of sweat and tears into it. Even the professors where impressed since it was legal as a bicycle here in Sweden despite no limit on power.

For some strange reason someone wanted to make segways legal in Sweden as bicycles, so they made a law stating no power limit, no pedals, max velocity of 20 km/h to become a bicycle. Unfortunately that changed 1 januari so now the vehicle must be actively self-balancing to have unlimited power. So now we are stuck with 250 Watts aswell. :(
But I am working on it and the government have made some strange mistakes during the writing of the law and misread EU-rules, so I have filed official questions and have started to contact politicians that seems very interested. Manly because the possibilities of combining public transport and the then large environmental gain. I have a upcoming meeting the coming weeks where I will display my old prototype with Benjamins old BLDC-drivers (the first ever longboard with the VESC). If everything goes well we perhaps can make the old Swedish rules be valid in the hole EU in a few years time!

Keep up the good work with your boards and support Benjamin, you have no idea how many hours he have spend on the VESC starting like 4 years ago (well before my thesis atleast).

Vedder is a great person, his work, and views on opensource, are a shining example of how bright the future of the world can actually be. He has my dedicated support!

I have not had this problem personally but using the wrong firmware can be fatual, Vedder could have changed pin mapping or other that could have stopped firmware update from working. I would suggest buying a STlink v2 and if you don't have the ability to install Linux then you can follow this guide on Windows.

[youtube]H4sbDhRcaOQ[/youtube]

silviasol said:
Anyone keeping up on how the vesc v5.0 is coming along? Fets will be available at mouser soon so I was going to order some, curious if the v5.0 will use different fet's.
Vesc 5.0 will use different fets. He mentioned that it will use direct fets IRF7749 in the first post of the vesc 5.0 development thread.

Hi there,

I got a FW 2.15 with HW 4.11

for some unknown reasons, the VESC is not identifying correctly the voltage ... which makes me go into LVC sooner than expected. I just connected one motor rolling with a voltmeter (I checked it also and the voltage is OK on the voltmeter)... and the realtime from BLDC. Big difference.

no error display in terminal when I type "faults"

Anyone knows what could be wrong ?

Thanks !

[youtube]YsdE6kufbzQ[/youtube]

okp said:
hey, does anyone knows if there's a specific way to solder the D1, D2, D3 diodes? I mean is there a polarity?

Thanks!

Cédric
Follow the orientation in this picture. Use the continuity test, and place all of the led diodes in a way that the led would lit up when you touch the black end (negative) at the top of the diode and the red end (positive) at the bottom of the diode.

Attachments

• a64944c26535e76f888a0f48df0a19a5.png
    a64944c26535e76f888a0f48df0a19a5.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 4,969
hi
get my vesc v4.12 0.005 shunt

problem 1
there is some parts missed

problem 2
i try to star motor without load and it starts and its no power from the motor when i try to stop it
after 3 hours i connect all to my power supply (5 amps max) and what i see
bldc tool says that battery current 7 amps and motor current 60-80 but on my power supply it only from 0.5 to 1 amp
try to set all currents settings on max (240 max 190 motor and etc) and what we have
i run motor(set 2000 rpm) and if i try to stop motor with only one finger i can do this(i try it from my power supply or from high power lipo battery)
and i stop motor with one finger and bloc tool say to me that its 180 amps in the motor
but if its true that means i have most powerful finger in the world or problem in my vesc
some photos and video
missing parts
mv9o924SSWQ.jpg

EhvIo9lrZe4.jpg

6HzJYGiXbyg.jpg

wrong current measurements
[youtube]jUJZt6qYkY0[/youtube]

maybe for 0.005 shunt i need other resistors somewhere or sumthing else
waiting for help
thanks

i think i find the problem
my shunt is 0.005ohm and its no firmware for this shunt (i found for standart 0.001ohm and 0.0005ohm)
maybe someone can recompile soft to much my shunt
found this instructions

It is easy to change this firmware, because the code is very clean (never seen this before.)
Go to hwconf/conf_general.h, and change this:
#define CURRENT_SHUNT_RES 0.005 (this line already exists, remove the // and change value as per your shunts).
Make sure it comes above the HW_VERSION define statement.

as you probably have already done, uncomment this :
#define HW_VERSION_46 // Also for 4.7

Around line 85 :
#define ENCODER_ENABLE 1

Then save / compile / upgrade / enjoy.

I think it is better to change Shunt value in conf_general.h than in the hw_46.h file as Rew suggests, but it is also possible.

It is wise to use a power supply with a current limit to test a Vesc after compiling your own firmware..

but i don't know how to compile it
my vesc is 4.12 so i need recompiled firmware from 2.16 to latest

thanks

silviasol said:
You are missing the two large capacitors. Don't use it, it will damage. Return it for a replacement.

I will repair it myself
But still need someone to compile firmware

okp said:
Hi there,

I got a FW 2.15 with HW 4.11

for some unknown reasons, the VESC is not identifying correctly the voltage ... which makes me go into LVC sooner than expected. I just connected one motor rolling with a voltmeter (I checked it also and the voltage is OK on the voltmeter)... and the realtime from BLDC. Big difference.

no error display in terminal when I type "faults"

Anyone knows what could be wrong ?

Thanks !

[youtube]YsdE6kufbzQ[/youtube]

I had the same problem.
Check here https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=80198
There is a voltage divider at the input. If the solder joints are bad and add resistance or the resistors themselves are off or something else is wrong in this area you get strange voltages.

Hey guys, not sure someone already noticed that or raised it as a bug in the latest BLDC release (and in fact in maybe ALL BLDC tool released; I just checked with 2.16 FOC ... it's the same)

I don't think that getting motors run at Max current ramp step set to 50,000 instead of default... save your VESC. This maybe one of the reasons of some DRV fails... especially if you are running high voltage like me. Not sure, but in any case the behavior is not normal.

Basically, when you click READ/WRITE CONF.... it modify the value of the Max Current ramp step.... by increasing it .. up to 50 (instead of 0,040 per default) which is a HUGE difference.

[youtube]poXydNWZJW8[/youtube]

Back