Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

okashira said:
Allex was kind enough to send me four NCR18650GA's... from two different sources to boot. I will start them soon. I will also add more Model S cells.
IZzugho.jpg

Okashira, any updates on those cells?

Sorry Allex, had so much going on and redid my work area again (keeps expanding) and have not re-setup the battery tester. I will make time for it this weekend

Hi Okashira !

Any news about NCR18650GA cycling ? Does it exhibit the same self-healing effect as Tesla/18650BE cells ?

To me the results presented in this thread tend to prove the NCR18650GA is not the cell used in the Tesla 90kWh pack, as it seems to be nowhere as robust as BE or PF cells.

youyoung21147 said:
Hi Okashira !

Any news about NCR18650GA cycling ? Does it exhibit the same self-healing effect as Tesla/18650BE cells ?

To me the results presented in this thread tend to prove the NCR18650GA is not the cell used in the Tesla 90kWh pack, as it seems to be nowhere as robust as BE or PF cells.

No mews sorry. Still need to get setup again.
Yes the GA has silicone in the anode, this is great for energy density, but SiO expands like 300% when intercalated with lithium, so it tends to harm the cycle life...
I am quite sure tesla does use the GA's, cycle life is a non issue for a 90kWh Model S. as the typical cycle for that car is like 20% DoD and it's a massive pack.

Evidence that Tesla have recently taken delivery of cells from Samsung..
http://electrek.co/2016/06/02/tesla-sourcing-battery-cells-samsung/
But ...they are ICR 18650 22V mostly, (113 Tonnes), and a lesser amount (3.5 Tonnes) of 36G spec cells ??
Trials of 36G cells i can understand, but what would they use the 22V cells for ?

Hillhater said:
Evidence that Tesla have recently taken delivery of cells from Samsung..
http://electrek.co/2016/06/02/tesla-sourcing-battery-cells-samsung/
But ...they are ICR 18650 22V mostly, (113 Tonnes), and a lesser amount (3.5 Tonnes) of 36G spec cells ??
Trials of 36G cells i can understand, but what would they use the 22V cells for ?

It is a little offtopic but my guess is that these Samsung cells are used in a 6.4kWh "standard" Tesla power module (one standard module is used in Powerwall, more in Tesla Energy Powerpacks)

tesla-gigafactory-ess-pack-2-using-21-70-21700-cells-viakmanauto.jpg

.. Two modules inside seems to me very similar to the Model S module, I have also calculated the same number of 444 cells per basic module. So 6.4kWh divided by 888 cells makes about 7.2Wh per cell and it corresponds to 2000mAh per cell. The known amount of 888 cells makes me perfect sense of a recent delivery of Samsung cells ICR18650-22V to Tesla. This 2200mAh/8Wh cells gives 7.1kWh and so 6.4kWh is 90% DoD.

.. However, someone at Tesla reportedly said that this module is already using new Tesla "21-70" format. But it doesn't make sense for me unless the real capacity of module is about 10kWh. Because it is a nonsense to make "21-70" (I believe that it is only another name for Panasonic standard 20700) with capacity lower than 3000mAh.

Haha. Nah they are std 5.4 kWh model S modules. For the power wall they use 60% DoD so they call it 6kwh or so.

I am also curious about the Samsung SDI ICR18650-36G cells. I was not able to find any datasheet but from the code it seems to be a LiCoO2 chemistry, most probably with 4.35V(3.7V nominal) voltage and capacity of 3600mAh. That makes about 13.3Wh and 760Wh/l. But it is still not enough for 100kWh battery with the same modules.

Anyone know where to buy Authentic (SAMSUNG 30Q) at a good price ??...

I know Alibaba has then for around 3.50/cell ??...authentic ??

randyc1 said:

Sounds too cheap, I'd guess lies. They can be outright fake, advertisement written to deceive buyers, factory rejects or just a good deal. You haven't given much info to go on.

You can buy one and test it.

Gregory said:
randyc1 said:

Sounds too cheap, I'd guess lies. They can be outright fake, advertisement written to deceive buyers, factory rejects or just a good deal. You haven't given much info to go on.

You can buy one and test it.

Was curious if anyone here tested Alibaba Cells here before or if they knew where to buy Authentic cells at a good price ?

"Alibarba". Is just a "gateway" to many thousands of Chinese traders...similar to EBay..
Since you dont say who the seller is, your supplier could be any one !
The only way to know if they are genuine, is to buy some (from that exact supplier) and test them.

If it isn't fake, they stated price for xxxxx pieces. Tr asking they, i bet that the price for single cell will be at least $6-8. I think that the nkon is cheapest, but you have to know that this isn't the cheapest cell. You buy it only if you need both high discharge and high capacity. Otherwise you buy samsung 25R for current, or other cells for capacity (29E, 32E, PF, BE, MH1, MJ1, GA...)

Got a Quote back from Alibaba,.(Shenzhen Basen Technology Co., Ltd). They assure me they are 100% Authentic SAMSUNG 30Q cells ?? .

I can pay with Paypal.

3.40 U.S/cell, for 100 cells. +109.00 shipping bt Fedex in 4-6 days....??

PDF Link below if you want a list and prices of all cells

http://f03.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1bG9lMVXXXXX7XXXX.PRXFXXXD.pdf?spm=a2700.7803228.1998738840.4.iOX93D&attachment=August%2BBASEN%2Bcatalogue%2B.pdf

What you think???

I think it's a gamble.....I'd start with a few of a couple different ones to check validity. Out side the USA or what ever country your in and nothing including PayPal can save you.

Hope it's legit because those are really good prices on the 30Q, 25R and VCT4 & 5's.

You couldn't go wrong with any of those.

Tom

Prices are very good, can't hurt to try a few out. Basen seems to have OK reviews from a quick Google.

Make inquiries of who is responsible if the item is destroyed by customs. Lots of problems with shipping large Lithium packages these days.
Especially if not properly labelled as HAZMAT.

Also remember if these turn out to not meet spec, shipping back to China will be almost impossible.

I have had good experience with "Shenzhen E-fire Technology Development Co.,LTD"

In fact I am just about to purchase 1500 more Samsung 30q's. $3.4usd/cell, $225 shipping to NZ. Sea shipping so can order up to 5k cells for same money.

randyc1 said:
Got a Quote back from Alibaba,.(Shenzhen Basen Technology Co., Ltd). They assure me they are 100% Authentic SAMSUNG 30Q cells ?? .

I can pay with Paypal.

http://f03.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1bG9lMVXXXXX7XXXX.PRXFXXXD.pdf?spm=a2700.7803228.1998738840.4.iOX93D&attachment=August%2BBASEN%2Bcatalogue%2B.pdf

What you think???

You could take a risk, but nkon has only slightly higher price:

http://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/samsung-inr-18650-30q-3000mah.html

"Buy 100 times for €4.15 (€3.43 without VAT)" (you will be charged without vat)

And probably cheaper shipping, you should contact them.

Shipping cost seems too low, I doubt they are using proper hazmat shipping. But I can't be sure...

Also you have to know that dealing with someone from EU is much easier that with china, I would pay more only for that aspect alone.

riba2233 said:
randyc1 said:

I can pay with Paypal.

What you think???

You could take a risk, but nkon has only slightly higher price:

http://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/samsung-inr-18650-30q-3000mah.html

"Buy 100 times for €4.15 (€3.43 without VAT)" (you will be charged without vat)

And probably cheaper shipping, you should contact them.

Shipping cost seems too low, I doubt they are using proper hazmat shipping. But I can't be sure...

Also you have to know that dealing with someone from EU is much easier that with china, I would pay more only for that aspect alone.

Ok so i sent nkon an email for info about VAT and shipping cost to Can .
Riba you doubt china shipping is legit because it is low cost , but you think nkon will be lower ??

Back