Calling all Bay Area ebike riders

adamcooks said:
How does the recumbent handle single track?

I've taken it on a fair number of trails. It gets good traction with all wheel drive and 2" tires, and is very maneuverable. Naturally, anywhere jumping a wheel is required (like a rock or root bigger than 8 inches) I simply put my feet down and lift the front wheel over, then the rear wheel rolls over pretty much anything.

I shouldn't expect any single track on this ride though, right? Although some fire roads in this area I've ridden on (like east side of Tamalpais) are significantly worse than most of the single track I've ridden on. I would guess the fire road that's mentioned is decent, or it wouldn't be in the route.

Even though I've a few limitations, please keep me up to date.

The downsides:
I've not converted my commuter, on-road trike yet but my signature should show current status
It's a trike so other than driving it, I don't have a way to transport it
I expect my range to be limited by battery capacity so my limit will likely be about a 15 mile radius from Cupertino

The upsides:
Should be able to get there in 20 mins regardless of traffic
Should arrive with a nice grin

Im a bay area rider.

Bay area rider as well. Latest build is a Tangent, but have about 7 others in various states of (dis)repair. 7 mi. daily commute in the MV area.

+1 bay area rider. I'm near mountain view.

Would be great to map out the bay area riders. Equally awesome would be a shared garage / lab space with shared tools (e.g tab welder!)

jut said:
Equally awesome would be a shared garage / lab space with shared tools (e.g tab welder!)

+1 on the spot/tab welder. I took apart a power bank (just 4 18650 cells and a few USB ports for charging phones) last night and balanced the cells and had to jury-rig the nickel tabs back on to the battery terminals. A spot welder would be a game-changer! I'd be willing to throw down a few bucks for a community spot welder. I'm up in SF.

PRW said:
does anyone know of anyone who does electrical repairs in the Bay Area?

I live in Oakland, and have soldering iron, some spare parts, and some experience working on ebikes... so yes?

quuxman said:
PRW said:
does anyone know of anyone who does electrical repairs in the Bay Area?

I live in Oakland, and have soldering iron, some spare parts, and some experience working on ebikes... so yes?
Thanks quuxman - I have dropped the bike off with a guy in Santa Cruz, although he didn't look too optimistic! I will certainly let you know if I have no joy, thanks for the offer

We should organize an event. Problem is I just haven't had any spare time lately. I'm lucky if I can ride for an hour on the weekend. Now the rainy season is upon us, but today conditions were close to ideal. No mud, no dust, no heat.

My experience with the rides we have done is that we go slower as a group, it is not a race. It is fun to meet folks and visit, and see what they have created, and see the route picked for the ride. There some questions about the suitability of the bike for the ride, I wouldn't take my commuting machine on a dirt ride, for example. It would probably work ok, but it is rather heavy and looks out of place on a bike trail. On the pavement, anything goes. Just depends on where the ride will take us.

Hey can I ride with you guys?!

I'm saving for an ebike... Currently building another gas bike to sell and restoring a vintage schwinn road bike that MAY or may not get a hub motor.

I want to convert this build to electric:

That will make a nice ebike.

Welcome to ES.

One way you could guarantee that you could go on the ride is for you to organize it. :)

At the moment we don't seem to have a ride organized. Everyone is so busy it is easy to want one, but hard to make it work.

Depending on where the ride route goes, would determine what was allowed (and what would make sense).

Getting the parts together for an ebike...

Hey gang. Almost a year ago, on a spurt of inspiration, I had made a website geared around the idea of building up and facilitating local ebiker groups. I've never really promoted it other than locally in my own city. I never mentioned it here because I didn't want to step on toes here. If you guys wanted to check it out and use it to organize rides/events in your area, please do so. The site is 100% free and there are no ads, I don't make a single cent from the site—it's just a labor of love I put together. You can check it out at https://ebiker.co

If you guys feel this is inappropriate, I will be happy to delete the post. I just thought it might come in handy for you.

Back