VESC Open Source - Android App Features?!?!

@j3tch1u: did you start getting some results on this bluetooth connection ?
I'm still looking for an Android based display (mostly to check battery state of charge) and logger for VESC.
Can you post what your code if you think it might be reusable, at least the bluetooth part ? Thks.

What there any progress in the Android app?
Interested to see if anyone was able to harvest the telemetry info from VESC.

Yes I can get full real time data from the vesc, and it will be incorperated into the app, I am also porting the wii nunchuk code to arduino for every one

Hi,

If you are looking for a Arduino implementation just take a look here: http://rollinggecko.github.io/ArduBoardControler/

If you only need a UART implementation for Arduino look here: https://github.com/RollingGecko/VescUartControl

Here is also a running thread to: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=73812

Cheers

Andy

Yes I have seen your work, I have spent a lot of time with vedders code now, and he has his USB bridge that works through the can bus protocol so it is a lot easier to pull data from the vesc.

For the mobile add I just use direct spi any way

Just a thought.. Once the Android / iOS apps are functional, may I throw the idea of a smartwatch link out here? I have a Pebble Time, and all the apps that "do stuff" like gopro (camera remote) , or uber, need phone connectivity. So, communicating with a phone is natively supported, and easily, to. What if you had the watch display voltage, distance, speed, etc.? Writing pebble apps (VV Link VV) seems simple enough.
https://developer.pebble.com

jacobbloy said:
Yes I can get full real time data from the vesc, and it will be incorperated into the app, I am also porting the wii nunchuk code to arduino for every one

Can we has the build for the app so far? I am super super interested in how to get Real Time Data from the VESC.

hi so i have fixed ble working perfect now with the the HM-10 chip,

one big problem with these chips is that you can't do write with response (unless its a fake) so when writing data you are limited to a 20 byte write.
i changed the bldc code so this isn't a problem any more and did some vesc firmware changes that help the whole thing work.

i got real time data to run smoothly and know i just need to finish my FOC tab and I'm done.

jacobbloy said:

one big problem with these chips is that you can't do write with response (unless its a fake) so when writing data you are limited to a 20 byte write.
i changed the bldc code so this isn't a problem any more and did some vesc firmware changes that help the whole thing work.

i got real time data to run smoothly and know i just need to finish my FOC tab and I'm done.

Woohoo! Can't wait for this! All the work you have put into this is awesome!

Ptown_Cruiser said:
jacobbloy said:

Woohoo! Can't wait for this! All the work you have put into this is awesome!

He also started working on a way to operate the board through the app, which should be awesome!

And Iv finished that part and it works great, I'm now started trying to attach the volume buttons to also control your speed but that is proving harder then I though through qt!

jacobbloy said:
And Iv finished that part and it works great, I'm now started trying to attach the volume buttons to also control your speed but that is proving harder then I though through qt!

Oh nice!

That is really an extra though. I don't think that would work on iOS would it?

Wouldn't it be hard to brake/slow down with clicking so much on the volume keys?

Maybe a cruise control activation would be nice for the volume buttons. Up Volume to Activate at current speed and down button to disable.

Hey,

as I couldn't find an android app for logging the VESC Data, I made one myself. My goal was to see live data over bluetooth and to save it in a file. So my app is very simple with not a lot features other than logging as you might see in the screenshots. It also still has some bugs, but it works for me for now. The data may be evaluated in Microsoft Excel afterwards (at least thats what I did).

Feel free to download it. Still not perfect and still some bugs, but you can check it out if you want. Feedback is always welcome.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.solarturtle.vedder_monitor

View attachment 2Screenshot_2016-08-08-06-32-01.pngScreenshot_2016-08-08-06-32-09.pngexcel.PNG

Good job mate. The fact my app dones basically every thing BLDC tool does makes Have so much more potential for bugs

@pete1990 : that looks really great !!
What do you use as bluetooth device on the VESC side ?

@jacobbloy : all VESC configuration in an app is also cool !
Is your app also available somewhere to try ?
What kind of hardware requirement do you have ?

Thanks guys !

Pimousse said:

@jacobbloy : all VESC configuration in an app is also cool !
Is your app also available somewhere to try ?
What kind of hardware requirement do you have ?

Thanks guys !
mine needs some firmware modification to work correctly.

Pimousse said:

Thanks guys !

I just used some standart bluetooth to serial adapter I had lying around. Something like this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Bluetooth-Serial-Interface-Base-Board-Empfaenger-Modul-fuer-Arduino-MEGA-UNO-R3-/191659248273?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
But I guess almost all of this kind should work fine.

I will try your APP .. soon!!
thankyou

pete1990 said:
Hey,

as I couldn't find an android app for logging the VESC Data, I made one myself. My goal was to see live data over bluetooth and to save it in a file. So my app is very simple with not a lot features other than logging as you might see in the screenshots. It also still has some bugs, but it works for me for now. The data may be evaluated in Microsoft Excel afterwards (at least thats what I did).

Feel free to download it. Still not perfect and still some bugs, but you can check it out if you want. Feedback is always welcome.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.solarturtle.vedder_monitor

Excelent :D thank you

tested and working with BT HC-05 at 115200bps.

What is the chance to see VESC configuration option? Also slider with current limit will be very handy.

Thanks again for the good app.

Back