Project: Home made velomobile design with crank or mid motor

Ideally I'd like to use a non-contact derailleur at the cassette and a large tensioner sprocket to reduce drag to an absolute minimum. The drawing shows a 76 tooth chainwheel. EDIT: Also it shows the chain line when in forst and in tenth gear to see if the tensioner would be able to span the full range.

file.php

No. It just shows both first and tenth gear so that I could see if the chain tensioner would work. :) However, it would be possible to make a two speed system with double chains that shifts up when the cadence gets high enough, using a centrifugal clutch. Would probably be really hard without assist to pedal through the shift though, and quite lossy with an extra chain system to drive.

Put a nuvinci n380 inline with a sprocket bolted onto the disc brake 6 hole bolts for power output to the differential? That's what I'd do :) No gears, no variable chain paths. Just 4 sprockets of the same size. They even have a "harmony" system that matches the gear ratio to your pedaling cadence and speed for CVT action. After I finish my prototype, that's what I'm doing.

Edit: second thought: it's also a flywheel :)

The nuvinci is nice but I would not want the loss of efficency cvt has in an efficient Velomobil.
As the chain does not see any dirt, it is going to be good for 20tkm so the Chaindrive is a real option in a Velomobil where it runs completely inside.

I absolutely love your velomobile! Just the way it's designed is perfect for my desires. Your spacious & flat floor would allow a person like myself to install 10kwh worth of Panasonic 18650 batteries. A nuvinci internal geared hub, & even better a mid drive hub motor driving the left side wheel via disk brake sprocket. I can imagine the milage I'd put on such a beauty, though solor would only contribute a little to range.

Windows, door, carry groceries, sunroof! I want one for such a purpose to replace any car. Consider even a hitch for a trailer to pull. I'm far from getting ahold of such a cool ride to implement what I know for now. Its 1,000 watts, & 30mph in Oklahoma. I'll keep working on my 7kwh ebike in the mean time. Happy riding.

orange streak said:
Windows, door, carry groceries, sunroof! I want one for such a purpose to replace any car. Consider even a hitch for a trailer to pull. I'm far from getting ahold of such a cool ride to implement what I know for now.
I don't have windows or doors (too hot here for a full enclosure), but have you looked at my SB Cruiser trike, and hte Mk III and IV trailers? (see my signature for links)

amberwolf said:
I don't have windows or doors (too hot here for a full enclosure), but have you looked at my SB Cruiser trike, and hte Mk III and IV trailers? (see my signature for links)
Nice, but actually wish to go out on a a limb & carry my battery capacity in a sweet enclosed velomobile. I already know how to build trailers, walls, ramps & I have a 8ft long key lime green trailer for my e-bike. I will be the guy others think is crazy, even my dad thinks I'm stupid!, & I want a velomobile instead of a car. Two seater is nice & debatable for a passenger or a daring girl friend.

I love this design, becuase it looks so such easier to start building with flat sides, avoiding & struggling with aerodynamic cone shapes. I'd use aluminum composite sheeting comes in multiple colors. I'm obsessed with obtaining such a velomobile bike to use for eveyday, & travel long distance. On the edge at 35mph. Want to pick up my tools, revit gun & build it now! What's the perfect trike to start with?

What is the perfect trike to start with ? ... Yea that is the Million Dollar Question, I still have not found the answer, I think that because for you want to do, ( and I as well in the future ) there is no good non enclosed bicycle trike being made commercially at this time.
When visiting Florida some 7-8 years ago, I went to the Trike Mfg, there in the Middle of the State, forgot the name of the Mfg. , and I asked ... " Why do you make your trikes with such short wheel bases and such narrow width's "
His answer, because the way they / and the other Mfg's. make them , they can send them to the consumer for less than $ 75 for shipping ,
But
To make them more stable/usable / better as a velomobile they would be of a size that would require Freight Shipping, Several Hundred Dollars ... $$$ ,

A good Idea ( for a Tadpole Trike/velomobile ) would be to take a 250cc/500cc Quad that someone has blown the motor and is now not worth much, Cut off one of the rear wheels, widen the front end, ( you will now have to make a whole new center frame/ or just the rear if you want the front to be the same width )

Here are three examples of the concept of what I am talking about , only with thinner wheels / tires, lighter weight components all around , etc.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ATV-250CC-EEC-QUAD-Bike-3_60285648200.html

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/China-Zhejiang-atv-250cc-eec-quad_60102962834.html

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ATV-250CC-EEC-QUAD-BIKE-3_60361517778.html

Then
Take off Wheels/tires and find the Thinnest/Lightest Car Rims/Tires that will bolt onto the axles, or Small Light Weight Motorcycle Rims and Tires , and have an adapter plate machined for you to be able use such Wheels/Tires on the frame.,
Then build the body .

There are many pages to this thread, where is a link to the design you speak of that has flat sides ?

I am also of the Opinion that Flat Sides / with angles , will work and be easier to build, an example is the Facet V1 Velomobile .

http://www.instructables.com/id/Facet-V1-Velomobile/

Here is something interesting, can make a trike like this, without the Paragliding aspect.

http://inhabitat.com/zvezdan-nedeljkovics-paramoto-trike-is-the-worlds-first-paragliding-motorcycle/

orange streak said:
I love this design, becuase it looks so such easier to start building with flat sides, avoiding & struggling with aerodynamic cone shapes. I'd use aluminum composite sheeting comes in multiple colors. I'm obsessed with obtaining such a velomobile bike to use for eveyday, & travel long distance. On the edge at 35mph. Want to pick up my tools, revit gun & build it now! What's the perfect trike to start with?

I liked your original velomobile and the new one is even better!

My project is to have a removable body for a trike (AZUB, HPVelotechnik...) because the summer is too warm here for an enclosed body. As you have run the design through aerodynamic tests it would be really great to have some drawings with dimensions to use as inspiration.

My construction method will be nautical: a mix of ply composite and skin on frame.

OK I have advanced some in my thought process. It is hotter than Norway where I live, and quite warm about 9 months of the year, so the canopy was not going to work all year round. I have redrawn so that the roof section can be removed (and stored in the nose). The canopy hinges further up the screen.

3d_mod.png

No, aerodynamics will not be perfect with the roof removed. I hope they will be better than a naked trike, the head rest section will be filled in. The second choice is to have a warm weather canopy and a cold weather canopy and swap them over. At the moment the wheel arches are off my list too: I would like to run 24" rims, I have issues with the under-seat steering fitting. So external wheels it will be. I am not going racing and any slight improvement in aerodynamics over a naked trike is fine with me.

Building method: skin (aircraft fabric) on a frame of ply and spruce
Chassis: AZUB T-TRIS 26
Power: Mxus 250 W hub in 26" or 24" rim, 12S 44.4 V LiPo, 17 Amp controller to begin with because it is what I have in stock. A 250 W 25 Amp Bafang BBS02 with a couple of 13 Ah Li-Ion batteries wired in parallel is my preferred upgrade.

Comments?

OK, he avanzado un poco en mi proceso de pensamiento. Hace más calor que en Noruega, donde vivo, y hace bastante calor unos 9 meses al año, por lo que el dosel no iba a funcionar durante todo el año. He vuelto a dibujar para que la sección del techo se pueda quitar (y guardar en la nariz). El dosel se articula más arriba en la pantalla.

View attachment 212765

No, la aerodinámica no será perfecta sin el techo. Espero que sean mejores que un triciclo desnudo, la sección del reposacabezas se completará. La segunda opción es tener un dosel para clima cálido y un dosel para clima frío e intercambiarlos. Por el momento, los pasos de rueda también están fuera de mi lista: me gustaría usar llantas de 24", tengo problemas con el ajuste de la dirección debajo del asiento. Así que serán ruedas externas. No voy a competir y alguna ligera mejora en la aerodinámica. sobre un triciclo desnudo está bien para mí.

Método de construcción: piel (tejido aeronáutico) sobre estructura de chapa y abeto
Chasis: AZUB T-TRIS 26
Potencia: Hub Mxus 250 W en llanta de 26" o 24", 12S 44.4 V LiPo, controladora de 17 Amp para empezar porque es lo que tengo en stock. Una Bafang BBS02 de 250 W y 25 amperios con un par de baterías de iones de litio de 13 Ah conectadas en paralelo es mi actualización preferida.

¿Comentarios?
increible y elaborado diseño, en que quedo?

Back