Mbs Electric Mountainboard-6374 230kv, Vesc, 7s 6200 mah

Haven't gotten excited in a while about building something like this...since my days of RC . Thank You Nowind, Whiteponey,Esk8, for your contribution and many more that share their findings and innovations!
I wanted a trampa holypro deck 35(of course is the slickest deck arround), but found a deal for a Mbs Comp 95 and couldn't pass it.
So the build will use:
Mbs Matrix Pro Trucks
TorqueBoards 6374 230 kv Motors( only one for now-will eventually be a dualdrive)
Vesc-getting it from torqueboards, should be here by the first week of August.
Diamond Scrub 200 mm wheels.( I got them on ebay-they come with 10 mm bearings, 12 mm bearings were adapted to fit the Mbs Trucks (waiting for trampa shims and washers-the only ones i could find for 12 mm trucks).
60t wheel sprocket (fixing my Cnc Linux Pc right now, so i can modify the sprocket to fit the Scrub Hub Holes) , hope i can mill thru this steel!
This thing is getting pretty heavy :) I am only 150 Lb hope I can handle it :)
11 T or 12 T for now on the motor.
I do have some batteries 6200 4s , could make a 8s or 12 s for 12400 or 6200 mah, but good enough to get me started with the vesc when it gets here.
Motor mounts are 6061 3/8" aluminum thick , they fit perfect and secure themselfs with grubscrew from two angles, esk8fr really made a beautifull one , check his instagram profile!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIDtNCDjuAO/
Limited at uploading pictures, I will keep trying to update the build with pictures. Thanks Guys!

Is there any chance of you sharing the model you used for the motor mount? I also have MBS Matrix trucks and I want to 3d print a collar for the motor mount.

Working on updating the post with some pictures...off course I would share, just give me a couple of days...had to file down the brackets, so that means the mbs gets thicker and thicker as you get closer to center so it was a tight fit...will make some changes to that and then post the mods .

Matrix 2 trucks look way easier to mount on than matrix 1. :/
Awesome second hand deal going locally for a MBS pro 6 but unsure how I can mount to the matrix 1.
Modified collar might work for me as well.

Sparrowhawk300 said:
the mbs gets thicker and thicker as you get closer to center

Ouch this does make it more difficult. I plan to start work on the mounts tonight so I'll watch out for that. I'm using the Alien Drive universal mounts so when I get the cross section right hopefully it will work within the area of the brake mounts where most motors would be mounted.

@IceNine, I have attached my motor mounts, I work in aspire so I can only export .ai .svg, .dxf. Can also supply the aspire file, let me know.
Motor Mount:
kce5wk.jpg

Motor Spacers and Brackets:
i3gap4.jpg

Attachments

• motor mount v 6.ai
    10.6 KB · Views: 412
  • motor protection brackets.ai
    28.1 KB · Views: 342
Got a few more pics to share...
I choosed a 308 Uk Kinetics, 2 4s 6200 barely fit in there....looking for a 309 drybox now...
snoqyg.jpg

My boy knows something is up with this :)
idyk9y.jpg

166c8lk.jpg

Post by zsk8builder » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:04 pm

What is the small circle thing in the second picture of the mount designs
Those are just for reference : motor shaft, motor diameter...etc.
Update: Just realized you mean the picture with the guards...those are just to hold down the piece, i use some screws to hold it down so the piece doesen't flyaway and break my bit.

How do u bolt the motor to the bracket. I hhave the same design with slots so u can adjust the chain tension and ive had issues w it loosening up on me and the chain popping off. Im using a washer on the bolt and locktite and The motor still slides down. Any ideas?

by Jynxbone6986 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:29 pm

How do u bolt the motor to the bracket. I hhave the same design with slots so u can adjust the chain tension and ive had issues w it loosening up on me and the chain popping off. Im using a washer on the bolt and locktite and The motor still slides down. Any ideas?
This motor mount uses the same design as nowind with slots. I haven't tested yet properly...but with some blue thread locker it shouldn t move anywhere.

Thats what i did the last time i had to mess with it. Ive rode it alot since without the chain popping bit it definitely loosened up. Probably from riding rough terrain. I was thinking maybe i could rough up the motor and the bracket where they touch with a hacksaw and that might give it a little grip but i wanted to see if anybody else had another idea. Im afraid of stripping the motor holes out by torquing it down to tight. Good luck w your project tho

Since u mentioned the chain getting loose now i m thinking of a different kind of motor mount with fixed motor and a chain tensioner ...like a bike almost...not ready yet duh, what if you get some slots for the screws almost like the brackets from the bindings...you wanna have more tenssion you go to the next hole...but you gotta be surgical in the design.....still as i am writing this i still think the chain tensioner will be a better solution.Thanks , good luck to you 2 but let us know if you find a solution...

I think you wouldnt be able to fine tune the hole/slots your talking about. The seperate tensioner would be the way to go if it could be locked in place. I would imagine mountainbike style one would bounce around too much on rough terrain. I wish other people would chime in cuz ive seen alot of builds with the slot design. It must be working for some people. Ill update when i make progress

Aha! Thanks for the diagram. Now I understand my confusion about the trucks because you're using the Matrix Pro, not the Matrix II trucks.

Here are the Matrix II trucks and they have very odd angles between the flattened sides.
MBS Matrix II Trucks

I've been trying to reproduce the cross section using digital calipers, a digital protractor and Sketchup. I'm highly tempted to just print a cylinder of the right size, wrap the axle in foil, then fill it with epoxy. I could then either use the resulting part or cut it into a cross section, trace it, scale it, then make a STL model. It feel like the "right way" is to measure and model it but that is proving difficult since the flat sides all seem to be different angles and distances from the center of the axle.

@IceNine...didn't even realized that the initial post I wrote Matrix II...have to edit that. For those trucks actually or any uneven ones your idea might work to create a form of some sort and then measure that. I think i ve seen torqueboards on this forum talking about different trucks (mbs II as well)and created a collar that fit in their universal mount....trying to find the discussion on it now...

Jynxbone6986 said:
I think you wouldnt be able to fine tune the hole/slots your talking about. The seperate tensioner would be the way to go if it could be locked in place. I would imagine mountainbike style one would bounce around too much on rough terrain. I wish other people would chime in cuz ive seen alot of builds with the slot design. It must be working for some people. Ill update when i make progress
Locked in place for sure ...the chain can't be too long for these boards but almost someting like nowind's belt drive with tensioner but with a sprocket for tension offcourse ...so it Will push from above in the center of the chain ...then locked after you find the sweet spot of the chain...just brainstorming here....not sure if it would work at the same ratio with longer chain(most likely not-the gear ratio will change too ).

Sparrowhawk300 said:
@IceNine...didn't even realized that the initial post I wrote Matrix II...have to edit that.

In the hours since my last post I figured it out, designed, printed, and fit the part. I made it in two versions, one with a solid circle that fits tight and another with a 1mm side cut so the clamp on the Alien Drive Universal Truck Mount with tighten even better.

So where's the best place to share the skp, stl, and gcode files?

flx9py.png

IceNine said:
Sparrowhawk300 said:
@IceNine...didn't even realized that the initial post I wrote Matrix II...have to edit that.

In the hours since my last post I figured it out, designed, printed, and fit the part. I made it in two versions, one with a solid circle that fits tight and another with a 1mm side cut so the clamp on the Alien Drive Universal Truck Mount with tighten even better.

So where's the best place to share the skp, stl, and gcode files?

flx9py.png
The best way to share it would be on a post of its own. Congrats ...that would be the best way probably to fix these, with a ring clamp.

Getting closer to the edge...
A quick livingroom test with the vesc which obviously arrived :)
https://youtu.be/gfFHY66CMzQ
After this video i made a few changes...changed the plug from the motor with a batery balace plug one that actually fits the vesc, before this there was no way this thing was gonna move with one motor on 4s , after I redid the motor reading again ...amazing power and smooth start was able to carry me easily and brake on a dime ...no more cogging on load :) happy camper...doing the wiring right now thru the boxes , already received the second vesc and will order a second motor after I do a few more tests. One of the 4s 6200 mah batteries had a dead cell...brand new never charged , the cell is under 1 v . .will gut it out and maybe use it for 7s . I will wait on buying new set of batteries untill i am absolutely certain what power I need. So far looks decent...Pretty happy :)

Finished a temporary enclosure for the Vesc ... I ordered a ultrabox 206 to put the vescs in. Currently running on 7s 6200 mah, received a culometer from china up to 50v...I will add this as soon as I decide on battery/box setup. Black/Blue Wire harness management looks super sleak. Here are some more pics:
29zo1u9.jpg

21nr3bs.jpg

Full Face Triple8 Racer in background:
eg6b20.jpg

Culometer:
of0t9y.jpg

astilwell611 said:
Did you have to grind down the brake mounts on the truck with these mounts. Also did you have them cnc'd or water jetted?
I just designed the mounts to go over it I didn't modify the trucks. It was cut on a home made cnc router at very small passes , so it took a while...
P.S. If anybody is making their own mount don t do what I did and tap the holes for the protection brackets by hand ...ended up with uneven taps and extra holes....use a drill press...wish I had enouh clearence on my Z axis..

Back