gas price thread

markz said:
There was a bum downtown, catering to the business crowd who was on disability and receiving our provinces "Severely Handicap Disability" $1600/m plus he most likely got city welfare housing. He had no legs, in a wheel chair but his "begging angle" was he had Calgary Flames logo hand painted on his wheel chair, plus perhaps the veteran angle too, he died about 5 years ago. He always had beer hiding under where he sat. He raked it in good.

There was a story on the news about a beggar in the downtown core who begged during the day, and when he was done he would hop in his car and drive to his house.

A group of "Bums" was also downtown in "Monk" clothing, they were asian, it was the style of begging where they would not talk just hand you a small letter asking you to spare whatever you could. One time I only had a dime and the bum wouldnt accept it. It seemed outrageous at the time but the denial of a dime confirmed my suspicions that these were scam artist bums, not true bums. That was/is quite a common scam type I have seen from time to time. Plain cloths deaf people do the same thing, go on the city transit trains and do their deeds too. Or transit stops, restaurants etc etc etc. Seen a true bum doing it old school style walking up and down the train asking for money. They got a captive crowd. But they move quickly.

I chuckle sometimes because there are so many other ways to cash in besides begging for money and picking bottles. Most dont want to bother and are happy doing what they are doing. Its a life style for them. I know a few like that.

Canmore Alberta, just outside Banff a "tourist bum" with an accent and nice ski clothing on "ran out of gas" begging for money. Seen him before doing that. Same type of thing outside a movie theatre in Calgary. Seen him countless times pulling that scam. I think he got trespassed from that property, and the bum moved on. Parking lots are a prime area for a "Looking Left, Turning Right" accident. Slow speed which is what you want. You dont want nothing faster then parking lot speeds. The bums just laugh at my suggestions for easier methods of cashing in on insurance of vehicles, homes and commercial places. That is their choice.

Where am I going with this?
There are more and more so called bums begging and its because everyones getting laid off because of the gas prices. The bums will lie, cheat and steal to get ahold of free, tax free money. I cant blame them. I've always wondered how much these bums can make in a day. But the real money is in injury law.

I remember the bums of charleston. This good looking african American girl wearing guccis and using her I-phone was going around asking people for money, claiming she couldn't afford to eat. What's ironic is that this particular girl in Charleston actually asked me twice on two different occassions, as if she didn't remember me. (But I definitely remembered her, and I remembered seeing her quite often around town. There's only a small number of 'retail hotspots' in Charleston, so that's probably why.)

But the fact I saw her everywhere at all hours of the day and using the bus system suggests she might've been homeless.

News from the UK:
http://cityobservatory.org/more-driving-more-dying-2016-first-half-update/

Last para:
Higher gas prices not only discourage driving generally, they seem to have the effect of reducing risky driving, and thus produce a safety dividend. Its time to do more than just lament tragic statistics: if we want to make any progress toward Vision Zero, we ought to be putting in place policies that bring the price of driving closer to the costs that it imposes on society. If people reduce their driving–as they did when gasoline cost more than it does today–there will be fewer crashes and fewer deaths.

"U.S. traffic deaths rose 7.2 percent in 2015: Transportation Dept."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/traffic-deaths-u-7-2-percent-2015-transportation-185108070.html

In part:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Last year 35,092 people died in traffic crashes in the United States, a 7.2 percent year-on-year increase that runs counter to a five-decade trend of declining fatalities, the U.S. Transportation Department said.

U.S. officials said lower gasoline prices combined with job growth increased the number of miles driven last year by the highest rate in nearly 25 years. Distracted driving was cited in about a tenth of traffic fatalities in 2015, the U.S. DOT said.

"Gas Prices Headed Up: How High Will They Go?":
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gas-prices-headed-high-071507030.html

Although Americans have been fueling their cars on the cheap so far this year, motorists are now paying roughly 20 cents more per gallon at the pump than they did a year ago.

According to motor club AAA, the average price per gallon of fuel now sits at $2.21 — 3 cents higher than last week and 2 cents more than last month. Gas prices increased for 14 consecutive days starting at the end of November.

Some analysts expect fuel prices will continue to swell, topping $3 per gallon early next year in some parts of the U.S., says USA Today. A significant increase in gas prices could leave some families’ budgets running on fumes — especially families who ditched fuel-efficient vehicles for gas guzzlers when fuel prices dropped and stayed down for a while.

... and some analysts expect ebike sales to surge...

:)

Filled up my girlfriend's car at $1.89 the other day. It had been so long since I'd bought gas that I didn't know if it was a good price. I only knew it was a low price.

Glad for her; glad I don't buy gas anymore.

Back