Mbs Electric Mountainboard-6374 230kv, Vesc, 7s 6200 mah

Managed to mill a kinetics 206 Vesc heatig sink plate (Squad inspired). I already know that i m loosing the waterproof function of the box....cause you really need air vents ...I actually did it and the wind just blows on top of the vesc thru the lid... probably will add a couple of 50 mm fans at one point, but so far the holes in the lid truly made a difference...Still running on one vesc and one motor , the second motor should be here by the end of the week along with the 2x6s batteries :D :mrgreen:
egu4co.jpg

28slzkg.jpg

Figured i should update. I ended up roughing up the motor and mount w a dremel cuting shallow parallel lines and put more loctite on. Ive been riding it a couple weeks now and it doesnt seem to loosen up anymore.

Sparrowhawk300 said:
Managed to mill a kinetics 206 Vesc heatig sink plate (Squad inspired). I already know that i m loosing the waterproof function of the box....cause you really need air vents ...I actually did it and the wind just blows on top of the vesc thru the lid... probably will add a couple of 50 mm fans at one point, but so far the holes in the lid truly made a difference...Still running on one vesc and one motor , the second motor should be here by the end of the week along with the 2x6s batteries :D :mrgreen:
egu4co.jpg

28slzkg.jpg

That's really nice to see that I inspired someone! Although, unfortunately VESC didn't work out for me quite well, drv8302 kept failing and I changed ESCs to maytech 120A, they're making my board a BEAST!

Thanks for the inspiration Squad, so far I haven't experienced any problems...just that I will have to solder the transmiter...not too many hills in Florida :) so I didn t get to the limits of the vesc I guess..and still have yet to try the 12s 8000 mah setup, that should bring the temps a bit down. Maytech looks like a great match for mountainboard...I am glad they do the job!

Jynxbone6986 said:
Figured i should update. I ended up roughing up the motor and mount w a dremel cuting shallow parallel lines and put more loctite on. Ive been riding it a couple weeks now and it doesnt seem to loosen up anymore.
Been zapping arround for a few weeks with mine and they don t seem to loosen up, but happy that your solution works for you.

Drv Chip blew up in 12 s setup on the bench...2nd vesc acts like has no power...drv going down as well ...was fine on 7s :( now...they left a bad taste in my mouth...can t affort to keep burning money on the vesc so... i m going different ...should of listen to Squad. Live and learn, ;)

Sparrowhawk300 said:
Drv Chip blew up in 12 s setup on the bench...2nd vesc acts like has no power...drv going down as well ...was fine on 7s :( now...they left a bad taste in my mouth...can t affort to keep burning money on the vesc so... i m going different ...should of listen to Squad. Live and learn, ;)

I told You, 2 of my 4 VESCs are permanently fried other two had drv chip transplants ;) If it's only drv chip VESC may be salvageable, if You have heat gun You can even replace it Yourself. Those maytech 12S ESCs are bullseye for me, their only downside are breakes, a little to strong and not as smooth as VESC. Other than that, POWERRR, reliability (so far) and sensored function is in my opinion the best that You can find to work with 12S voltage.

Squad said:
Sparrowhawk300 said:

I told You, 2 of my 4 VESCs are permanently fried other two had drv chip transplants ;) If it's only drv chip VESC may be salvageable, if You have heat gun You can even replace it Yourself. Those maytech 12S ESCs are bullseye for me, their only downside are breakes, a little to strong and not as smooth as VESC. Other than that, POWERRR, reliability (so far) and sensored function is in my opinion the best that You can find to work with 12S voltage.
I think on 12 s you are really asking for it on the Vesc :) they are good up to 8s ...after that is questionable. I will probably try yo change the drv and revive them, meanwhile saving for the maytech, So the brakes are a little strong...i can live with that, probably the noise is a little loud as well...did you use aliexpress? Can you adjust settings ? Man I just wanna ride ...after I got the bug can t handle myself without a board now :)) weird!

Sparrowhawk300 said:
Squad said:
Sparrowhawk300 said:

I think on 12 s you are really asking for it on the Vesc :) they are good up to 8s ...after that is questionable. I will probably try yo change the drv and revive them, meanwhile saving for the maytech, So the brakes are a little strong...i can live with that, probably the noise is a little loud as well...did you use aliexpress? Can you adjust settings ? Man I just wanna ride ...after I got the bug can t handle myself without a board now :)) weird!

Contact them directly, they'll probably give You better price than is on aliexpress.

Yup, settings are adjustable, there are pretty much same options as in FVT 12S ESCs, or torqueboards 12S ESC, order usb link cable from them as well or the one sold for FVT esc will also work.

When You'll switch to those maytech ESC, your board will become aggresive beast, You'll be shooting gravel at startups (but You can always switch acceleration to low :p)

It's really addictive to ride this beast :D

Thank you Squad for your input! I will certainly do that (contact maytech directly). Those maytech Escs sounds like a dream minus the regen breaking...which doesen t help us that much...i will just miss the FOC of the vesc ....oh well ..."The Rat" delivered the goodies(Mouser), waiting for some flux and then were doing the DRV transplant on the patient. :)
My 230kv motors are not helping the situation...vesc got really hot ...like BBQ hot on a single setup on 12s. Didn 't die but was waiting for it...Will probably sacrifice some speed and go on 6s only and report back...
29e6cea.jpg

Sparrowhawk300 said:
Thank you Squad for your input! I will certainly do that (contact maytech directly). Those maytech Escs sounds like a dream minus the regen breaking...which doesen t help us that much...i will just miss the FOC of the vesc ....oh well ..."The Rat" delivered the goodies(Mouser), waiting for some flux and then were doing the DRV transplant on the patient. :)
My 230kv motors are not helping the situation...vesc got really hot ...like BBQ hot on a single setup on 12s. Didn 't die but was waiting for it...Will probably sacrifice some speed and go on 6s only and report back...
29e6cea.jpg

We have run the VESC's on 8 and 10s with 230 and 245kv motrs without an issue. It seems to me that the VESC's like 10s. Even on 8s I had to run a fan to keep the power from falling off from heat. On 6s the power would drop off quickly because of heat.(I know some people run on 6s fine, though)Those Maytech ESC's are pretty good except for the the brakes, which are pretty much all or nothing, but they are pretty silent. To anyone using the Maytech or FVT 12s 120a ESC: Make sure no throttle input is given on start up. I have fried several of these by accidentally giving a little throttle while turning the ESC on.

Squad said:
It's commonly said that VESC shouldn't be run on 10-12S with motors above 200KV, probably that's also why drv chip died.
I am pretty sure that is what happened too much rpm in short bursts with no load...so watch out for those bench tests at high voltage. Maytech responded back they have the MTES120A-SBEC at 129.00 with tnt shipping and 15.00 for the prog. card, that s is a great price, gonna place an order at the end of the week. Had some issues when removing the DRV chip , was quite hard to melt the solder points, esspecially the big pad underneath ...I hit it with 450 degrees and still wouldn t release...eventually ripped a couple of traces when finnally the solder started to melt ...but last two pins stayed glued and then peeled off...will fix it but can you give some recommendation on removing the DRV with reflow station Squad? Looks like the solder used in vesc has a high melting point ...maybe over 250 C degrees...

mccloed said:
Sparrowhawk300 said:
29e6cea.jpg

We have run the VESC's on 8 and 10s with 230 and 245kv motrs without an issue. It seems to me that the VESC's like 10s. Even on 8s I had to run a fan to keep the power from falling off from heat. On 6s the power would drop off quickly because of heat.(I know some people run on 6s fine, though)Those Maytech ESC's are pretty good except for the the brakes, which are pretty much all or nothing, but they are pretty silent. To anyone using the Maytech or FVT 12s 120a ESC: Make sure no throttle input is given on start up. I have fried several of these by accidentally giving a little throttle while turning the ESC on.
I was running it on 7s and was pretty impressed, there was no heating problem, now i will give it a shot on 6s...it might get hot ...but the track that I use is all asphalt and no hills...should be ok .
And another thing that might of burned the Vesc as well would be Max Current Ramp Step that changes every time you write your settings(a known bug), the value should be 0.004, but changes to something like 0.4.

Sparrowhawk300 said:
Squad said:
It's commonly said that VESC shouldn't be run on 10-12S with motors above 200KV, probably that's also why drv chip died.
I am pretty sure that is what happened too much rpm in short bursts with no load...so watch out for those bench tests at high voltage. Maytech responded back they have the MTES120A-SBEC at 129.00 with tnt shipping and 15.00 for the prog. card, that s is a great price, gonna place an order at the end of the week. Had some issues when removing the DRV chip , was quite hard to melt the solder points, esspecially the big pad underneath ...I hit it with 450 degrees and still wouldn t release...eventually ripped a couple of traces when finnally the solder started to melt ...but last two pins stayed glued and then peeled off...will fix it but can you give some recommendation on removing the DRV with reflow station Squad? Looks like the solder used in vesc has a high melting point ...maybe over 250 C degrees...

Well I only used heat gun and preheated the bottom of the PCB to about 100 degrees, then continued to heat drv chip from top, it was really easy in my case, maybe Your VESC manufacturer did use some kind of higher melting poing solder...

Fixed the vesc....working on a different project (redesigning everything to shave like 5-8 lb) . but will be amazing. Meanwhile enjoy a short video of my finished project.

https://youtu.be/YMWfim2H87k

Sparrowhawk300 said:
@IceNine, I have attached my motor mounts, I work in aspire so I can only export .ai .svg, .dxf. Can also supply the aspire file, let me know.
Motor Mount:
kce5wk.jpg

Motor Spacers and Brackets:
i3gap4.jpg

Sparrowhawk300 can you send me your motor mount drawings as .dxf files please.

Back