Bafang BBSHD, 1000W, 68mm-120mm BB

EMPowered said:
The chain ring in the photo on pg 15 from Gmullz is a new ring offered by Bafang. Luna calls it an "aluminum Luna chainring". Unfortunately, it is offset outward 10mm. Hence the free giveaway. Its poo. We ordered some from Bafang and its ok for bikes with long drive chains like tandems etc...or for IGH, but NOT for a standard bike with a cassette. You would have a better chain line with a steel stock 46T ring, or for sure the Lekkie Bling Ring HD. The Lekkie ring has proven itself build after build and is a far better solution than the Luna Eclipse ring. The Luna Eclipse ring has longer teeth which increase the diameter and circumference and is dished too deeply requiring spacers to compensate. 2 main issues with Eclipse ring, #1 too much dish, #2 too much circumference. Lekkie is just better, it fits more bikes with less problems. Only saying this to help folks spend money right the first time. Full disclaimer... I gladly sell Lekkie rings : ) so yea I am biased, because they work, and they work very well.

See below image for comparison, the Luna is too deep, the Lekkie is just right

Sorry I disagree about the Luna Eclipse ring, for my particular setup it works perfect without a spacer to get my chainline perfect. If it wasn't dished as aggressive as it is I would be SOL. The great thing about the Luna Eclipse ring is you can always use spacers to set your chainline lateral to midline but not visa versa... I don't have a Lekkie ring to compare the outside diameter to so I can't comment. At worse you have slightly higher top speed at the expense of torque. I have a feeling the effective outside diameter of both chains is exactly the same although the luna profile is again more aggressive.

Also the Luna Eclipse ring features a removable outer chain ring which I assume they will soon offer replacements for at a lower cost then the entire unit. This also will allow for different size outer rings to be installed I assume at some point.

There are so many different geometries and chainstays that claiming any one chainring is a better than another is just petty bickering by vendors.
I have 3 bike with BBS series motors, two new HD's ALL three have different needs. Move along and lets help each other find the right fit.

All BBSHDs have the same controller. It is adjustable so you can set the max amps to whatever you want. People who ride off road don't care what the engraving says, the engraving is only to help those riders who live where there is a street-legal 750W power limit. Yes, it has been verified with the Bafang factory.

You cannot "accidentally" get a controller that can only put out a max setting of 750W. If you receive one that is only putting out 750W, then someone at the factory or the vendor adjusted it. You could plug in the programming cable and set it to max amps, if you like, anytime you wish.

LyonNightroad said:
Am I the only one who just bangs through the gears? I've been doing this for 1,000s of miles. At full throttle, all you have to do is wait for the motor to start spinning out and the amps to slightly dip in the current gear you are in, and then just click into the next gear, usually a smooth shift, maybe a little jerk but the bike can handle it. This gets me near maximum acceleration. I'm just running an sramX4 derailleur, HG41 34-11 cassette, and KMC EPT 8S for Ebike Chain.
m
Not the only one - I do this with a BBS02 on 9speed shimano (deore LX). It works fine. There's no way I'd want to cut power every time i shift - that would interrupt the flow of the ride.

Mid drives do put a bit of power through the drivechain, so it requires periodic maintenance, whether you mash the gears at full throttle or not. Riding rain hail or shine, what I've found most affects my shifting performance is grit accumulating in the shifter cables - especially the curved one at the back which acts like a scoop for debris. Clean that out, change the chain/cassette every 3000kms or so, and shifting is pretty good.

spinningmagnets said:
All BBSHDs have the same controller.
One exception. There is a GS version and a none GS version.

tomjasz said:
spinningmagnets said:
All BBSHDs have the same controller.
One exception. There is a GS version and a none GS version.

Just like when they upgraded the mosfets in the BBS02, eventually all the old ones in the pipeline will be sold and all the new ones will come with the G/S plug.

If the present is any window into the future, anyone with an early BBS01 in NOS condition will be able to cash-in a few decades. Look at the recent prices at auction for early Macs and Lisa's!! I hope someone, somewhere is buying up and holding on to all of the early obsolete ebikes, because you just know there is going to be a Museum of the Electric Bicycle in 50 years with a Hall of the Pioneers to show them off.

Anybody else find that there is a relatively narrow RPM range where the motor vibrates (almost feels like a grinding) quite hard. It happens at high load at or near max amps just around the RPM range where the amps start to fall off as the motor winds out. It's actually quite annoying on my feet. My BBS02 used to do this a bit but it's stronger on my BBSHD.

I had some strange behaviour yesterday with my BBSHD and DPC-14 colour display. I was riding along and all of a sudden I saw an error on the display. Sadly, I didn't have time to mentally take note of the error. After the error was displayed, the display started artifacting/pixelating. It looked very strange. Next, the display shutoff completely and wouldn't turn on again. But the throttle still worked, as well as the pedal assist. The power button / PAS controls didn't seem to be functioning.

The problem is, there were two unique situations I was going through: I let the battery run low, and it was raining very heavily. I'm not sure which of these caused it. I think the battery was running at around 42v around the time I ran into the issues (48v battery).

If rain caused the issue, the only weakpoint I could see is where my battery connects to the motor. Should I waterproof this connection point? They're connected via anderson connectors. How would I go about waterproofing this?

The weak point is in the LCD display. You got moisture in your display and that is why you got the failure.
You need to fix a water proofing solution for the display. I recommend a LCD cover.

lcd-cover.jpg

Racer_X said:
The weak point is in the LCD display. You got moisture in your display and that is why you got the failure.
You need to fix a water proofing solution for the display. I recommend a LCD cover.

lcd-cover.jpg

Where can I get something like that? When I Google Image Searched that image, no English sites popped up.

Not having any luck finding something like that on Amazon.

Here is my latest build:

A Trex XCaliber 4 29er with BBSHD with New Luna Eclipse Ring, Color display. I paid $400 for the bike through a local FB cycling group. She is just a lot of fun to ride and is a big girl at 23 inches ... but works well for my 6'2 255 lb frame. BTW ... I can get over 30 mph on the flats with the new BBSHD. I had a hub motor before on another build and it was not as much fun. My favorite way to ride is to just have 1, 2 and 3 levels and keep the throttle on 1 for pedal assist (PAS). That way I still get exercise but can explore the city trails but at further distances from my home.

Also ... For anyone concerned about the difficulty of riding a mid-drive and shifting gears ... It is so easy to get the hang of it. Throttle alone is not near as much fun ... Don't mess with the programming and that way you can always use PAS and Throttle when you need it. You just make sure you are in a gear where you can pedal fast enough to keep the engine from working too hard. Install the gear shifter (had my lbs put that on) and you don't ever have to pedal backwards to cut the engine or tap the brake before shifting ... You just shift whenever you want.

I thought my new girl ... I call her "Ghost Rider" turned out pretty good ... and stealthy as I could make her.

Attachments

• Trek LunaCycle.jpg
    Trek LunaCycle.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 4,432
bigsteve1tx said:
Here is my latest build:

A Trex XCaliber 4 29er with BBSHD with New Luna Eclipse Ring, Color display. I paid $400 for the bike through a local FB cycling group. .

Looks good!

Luna 50 amp BBSHD

https://electricbike-blog.com/2016/09/22/lunacycle-releases-their-50amp-bbshd-that-ive-been-testing-for-6-months-but-you-gotta-buy-the-whole-bike/

A little disappointing that you have to buy the whole bike. I had heard they had something brewing on this front and have been trying to hold out till they released something before I followed a different path. Looks like external Kelly controller here I come! On the up side I have a lot more confidence the BBSHD can take it

Dogboy1200 said:
A little disappointing that you have to buy the whole bike.

No kidding. Even worse that you have to waste all the extra power dragging around the inefficient fatbike layout.

If you are successful using the Kelly controller with the BBSHD, please post up the phase and hall combinations and any other programming tricks

Will do. I received my KLS4812S Kelly controller in 6 days from China to USA a couple weeks ago but have been holding out for the Luna solution. I'll have some time to mess with it next weekend. I don't really have any experience wiring up a new controller. A have messed with all the settings on my HD and 02 though. That's one of the 2 reasons I choose the Kelly. It has a feature were you hook up the hall and phase wires anyway you want then run a function with their programming cable and it adjusts itself to make it work. Second, it has a "torque" And a "speed" mode similar to the stock BBSxx "current" and "speed" modes. For me the "current" mode is much better for the off-road only riding I do. I have a Cyclone too and it seems to have a "speed" only controller and hate it for off-road. It seems that with the "speed" setting, 1/2 throttle is FULL power to 1/2 top speed, in "current or torque" mode, 1/2 throttle gives 1/2 power much like a gas engine.

whats the best grease to put on the white nylon gear ? something high temperature and water proof that wont damage the plastic gear ?

The main reason I'm interested in the Luna Eclipse is because of how deep it is. If I need to space it out, no problem. If I need to move the Lekkie in, I'm out of luck.

EMPowered said:
...main issues with Eclipse ring, #1 too much dish...

Very good points. Also, you're right. The outside diameter of where the chain sits is the same, so you will not gain/lose speed/torque. The only potential issue is the teeth hitting the chainstay. I think longer teeth is a good idea because it's better for chain retention.

johnboy said:
...The great thing about the Luna Eclipse ring is you can always use spacers to set your chainline lateral to midline but not visa versa... I don't have a Lekkie ring to compare the outside diameter to so I can't comment. At worse you have slightly higher top speed at the expense of torque. I have a feeling the effective outside diameter of both chains is exactly the same although the luna profile is again more aggressive.

Also the Luna Eclipse ring features a removable outer chain ring which I assume they will soon offer replacements for at a lower cost then the entire unit. This also will allow for different size outer rings to be installed I assume at some point.

Has anyone tried this 36T chainring on the BBSHD?

http://precialps.com/uk/accueil/31-plateau-decale-36-dents-bbshd.html?live_configurator_token=61b1d9c574c5dcbddd1f63d9849834a6&id_shop=1&id_employee=1&theme=theme2&theme_font=#/11-couleur-noir

plateau-decale-36-dents-bbshd.jpg

robocam said:
Has anyone tried this 36T chainring on the BBSHD?

http://precialps.com/uk/accueil/31-plateau-decale-36-dents-bbshd.html?live_configurator_token=61b1d9c574c5dcbddd1f63d9849834a6&id_shop=1&id_employee=1&theme=theme2&theme_font=#/11-couleur-noir

plateau-decale-36-dents-bbshd.jpg
Wow! That looks sweet. Wonder what the offset is? Think I might have to try one. I'm currently running the Luna eclipse. I had some trouble with it at first. I had to shorten all the teeth a little so it wouldn't suck up my chain.

Back