Stealth FUTR owners builds and pics

Lattice frame looks sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Beta build has had some progress. Been mainly working on getting the 18 FET controller internally mounted. Frame design makes it not so simple to attach the controller in such a way that the controller is properly heat sunk and also tucked up as high as possible.

This is what i came up with.

The frame will be matt black. With regards to side covers, I am thinking of powder coating gloss black and then an adhesive carbon fibre over the top with a 1cm gloss boarder.

Attachments

• 20160925_134433.jpg
    20160925_134433.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 15,246
  • 20160925_142055.jpg
    20160925_142055.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 15,246
  • 20160925_140106.jpg
    20160925_140106.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 15,247
  • 20160925_153049.jpg
    20160925_153049.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 15,247
Kepler said:
My Beta build has had some progress. Been mainly working on getting the 18 FET controller internally mounted. Frame design makes it not so simple to attach the controller in such a way that the controller is properly heat sunk and also tucked up as high as possible.

The frame will be matt black. With regards to side covers, I am thinking of powder coating gloss black and then an adhesive carbon fibre over the top with a 1cm gloss boarder.

Very Nice John, look forward to seeing how your heat sink frame technique work on this one. It worked great on Ole Blue. BTW, are you using Chainring aluminum fasteners for mounting your side covers? Edit, I also noticed the 4 piece side cover design. DId you do that or is it an update?

Rodney64 said:
Looking good Kepler. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Thank Rod. I am actually in your neck of the woods at the moment. On a training course for the week at the Pan Pacific. Would be good to catch up for a beer.

Rix said:
Kepler said:

Very Nice John, look forward to seeing how your heat sink frame technique work on this one. It worked great on Ole Blue. BTW, are you using Chainring aluminum fasteners for mounting your side covers? Edit, I also noticed the 4 piece side cover design. DId you do that or is it an update?

Thanks Rick. A bit more tricky on this frame to get good heat transfer from the controller to outside air. Being a 6kW plus bike I really wanted to pay attention to the heat transfer path while at the same time keeping the controller fully hidden away.

The side covers are just my spin on standard side covers. Originally I wanted to mount the side covers inside the frame to keep the frame lattis exposed but there was just too much frame reinforcement structure to make it practical. I really do like the exposed lattis look on these frames but considering my side covers are a heat sink, I really don't want to remove a whole lot of material.

And yes, good pickup on the chain ring fasteners. They did need to to be modified in the lathe to make them work with this setup but I am pleased with the results.

Kep, this looks great. You should make those controller mounts available for the public. But probably would be kinda hard to make it fit for every controller out there.

Thanks Allex. I dont think the controller will have any overheating issues and still plenty of room for batteries.
I think I will leave it as a one off though. Too many controller variations. Hopefully there is enough detail in the photos for anyone looking for a similar internal controller mounting solution.

I am amazed at how little heat those controllers generate. They are sine but not foc. Will be interesting to see your reaction kep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kepler said:
Rodney64 said:
Looking good Kepler. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Thank Rod. I am actually in your neck of the woods at the moment. On a training course for the week at the Pan Pacific. Would be good to catch up for a beer.

Thats just awesome, I wish I could join you guys for a beer down under. Would be epic. As far as the chain ring fasteners go, very creative and very nicely done. Of course thats what you do. Nothing has ever came from Kepler's shop that wasn't top of the top.

Hmm, is anyone else using a gasket or similar between the seatpost base and the frame? I saw Allex used silicon to prevent moisture getting in there.. more concerned about the powdercoat on powdercoat/ scratching nice powder coat.....

Nice work John. Whats the orange tape round the BB area?

Lurkin said:
Hmm, is anyone else using a gasket or similar between the seatpost base and the frame? I saw Allex used silicon to prevent moisture getting in there.. more concerned about the powdercoat on powdercoat/ scratching nice powder coat.....
Yes, I did this on my Fighter when I replaced it's subframe due to the previous one cracking.
I used an old inner tube cut up into the roughly the right shape which has been working well. It also provides a tiny bit of cushioning and helps dampen vibration.

Cheers

Lurkin said:

Nice work John. Whats the orange tape round the BB area?

I use shoe goop.

I think you're splitting hairs but it doesn't hurt to put something in there. I'd be more inclined to put a smear of grey or white silicon (depending on frame colour of course) to prevent sand/mud getting in the cracks from an aesthetics point of view if nothing else! If you can detect a vibration reduction ducky you must have an awfully sensitive bum :lol:

Another batch of betas is ready now, anyone who's been waiting shoot me a PM or email.

beta-lineup.jpg

Here's an unboxing vid for anyone that's interested.
Part 1 assembly vid coming soon.

[youtube]ix1VUXXIDn8[/youtube]

Hyena said:
If you can detect a vibration reduction ducky you must have an awfully sensitive bum :lol:
That or I'm a bit of a quack :p

Nah it's probably more of a placebo effect, but I'll still take that. :) I also did it because I don't have 100% confidence in the replacement seatpost sub-frame holding up long term after the last one cracked. A tiny bit of cushion surely doesn't hurt to help prevent any stress inducing elements transferring to the subframe.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Hyena said:
If you can detect a vibration reduction ducky you must have an awfully sensitive bum :lol:
That or I'm a bit of a quack :p

Nah it's probably more of a placebo effect, but I'll still take that. :) I also did it because I don't have 100% confidence in the replacement seatpost sub-frame holding up long term after the last one cracked. A tiny bit of cushion surely doesn't hurt to help prevent any stress inducing elements transferring to the subframe.

Cheers

What about heat shrink, could that work? :lol: :wink:

Cowardlyduck said:
Lol - you guy's will never let me forget that. :lol:

If all he's after is protection between the 2 powder coated surfaces heat shrink could actually work. :lol: Although so could any plastic barrier for that matter.

Cheers

All in good fun amigo. :mrgreen:

Family pic, missing is my bomber, its up in Idaho being ridden by Pops.

Attachments

• Rix Ebikes.jpg
    Rix Ebikes.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 14,872
  • Rix rides.jpg
    Rix rides.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 14,872
Kepler said:
Spoilt for choice Rix. So have you have a favorite?
Believe it or not, I still haven't ridden the Beta. Its a roller, I can pedal it around, however, still waiting on lipos after 5 months. If I wouldn't have spent money already, I would have employed, someone to build me a battery out of 30Q cells for the Beta. Oh well.

Finally got my 29er Beta swing arm back from Stealth. Thanks JK. I wanted to test fit the main components to make sure everything fits before powder coating. With the 29er wheels, the Beta is a big bike and dwarfs my Fighter. I am sure it is not everyones taste but I am really happy with the way it looks. The big wheels make the frame look even smaller and more bike like which is always a good thing.

Also compared it to my XL framed XC Mountain bike. Very similar proportions however the Beta has a more aggressive head angle and higher bottom bracket. So all good and ready for powder coating. Enjoying this project a lot.

Attachments

• 20161008_155850.jpg
    20161008_155850.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 14,699
  • 20161008_155900.jpg
    20161008_155900.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14,699
  • 20161008_161559.jpg
    20161008_161559.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 14,699
  • 20161008_165642.jpg
    20161008_165642.jpg