Crystalyte APM Setting Change - Now No Power

kudos

10 kW
I was riding along under power just now but it has been bugging me for a while that my speed doesn't display correctly on my APM because I have big hookworm tires.

So I pulled over, went into the APM settings and changed the wheel size. Setting it as 27 or 29 seemed to give far to high a reading and even 25 was too high so just to see what value it would give I set it to 20.

I then turned the throttle and no power to the motor. The APM still shows PASS, voltage, speed, ebrake etc but I get no power.

Huh?

I came home swapped over to another controller and battery and everything is fine. So throttle and motor is fine.

I don't know what on earth the problem could be. All i did was change wheel size setting. Obviously I changed the wheel size setting back to what it was but still nothing.

I've tried unplugging the APM. But I seem to remember that the controller remembers how you set it with the APM.

I've checked LVC etc. Checked it's in speed not assist mode.

I can't find any way of re-setting the APM or controller anywhere?

Help?

Kudos

I've also just noticed something.

Normally I leave the APM set to Watts so I can see how much I'm burning.

Normally when you switch on the controller the APM switches on and usually shows 39 or 40W as a baseline.

Currently the APM does not show this value and instead reads zero.

?

Kudos

I have no experience or knowledge for you, only guesses, I've never owned this device or seen it before, keep that in mind because I don't know what I am talking about.

I recommend going through your settings, line by line, reading them out loud or to/with someone slowly and explaining these settings to/with them. Lots of people have changed things they didn't mean to in all kinds of areas of electronics and might not realize this until they take a seriously long, slow, deep look at it.

From there, there is plenty of room for wild guessing, it sounds like you have done plenty of troubleshooting already, well done to that.

Is it possible for you to attempt to program the controller via a USB cord?

I don't know how to do a reset of this device. I imagine that there is a pair of jumpers you can short or a small battery inside you can remove and re-install that would do the trick. But I wouldn't know where those types of things might be located inside and I cannot recommend you open this device and search for this yourself unless you are very comfortable with such an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktqVXP76vJs I watched this video on the settings options, one setting that seems like a possible cause of your problem is the voltage selection. I imagine that the voltage selection will also select a low voltage cut off(LVC) and maybe even a high voltage cut off (HVC), if your pack has a higher or lower voltage than what the device is set to it may simply prevent any power from moving. Be sure to check that.

I am not sure if I understand for certain, but are you saying that the bike no longer works with just the APM removed? A good way to troubleshoot things isn't to change lots of things at once, if you are going to swap parts or unplug and plug things, I'd recommend doing so one thing at a time.

Thanks for your response BOS, Yes I have been through the settings one by one, many times over.

I have checked and re-checked the settings and they are all exactly the same as they were when it was working.

and yes there is no power with or without the APM attached.

The fact that there is no baseline Watt figure is the obvious difference, i just can't figure out if it's the APM preventing the controller from powering.

Kudos

She lives!

OK so I put my 48V controller on (the one I knew was working) because I wanted to test if indeed there was a baseline W reading of 39/40W but there wasn't so I'm guessing you only get this when you're riding.

Then I attached the APM to the 48V controller and changed all the settings so that they were appropriate for that voltage etc and everything was fine.

So now I know the APM is working OK.

I then put my 72V controller back on, set all the settings back to what they were originally, the exact same settings as had not been working, and now they work.

I have no idea.

Kudos

That would be extremely frustrating. I am sure making it work is satisfying, but I find a large amount of satisfaction in knowing the cause of a problem and knowing precisely how I fixed it. Thinking that there was/is/may be an intermittent cause to some sort of fault, that could decide to just pop up any old time would irritate me tremendously. The more I mess with ebike stuff, the more I place value upon reliability.

I think if I were you, I'd try and repeat what I did, and see if maybe you simply found a bug in this device.

You're right bos, I will check this to see if I can repeat the issue.

Kudos

Hi.
I have the same issue.
I brought two kits with 36-48v controller. 48v battery.
I installed one on my bike and everything was OK. When I started to change the settings of ADM display worked fine for a moment but one moment the power was off.
I started to switch the components to detect the problem and when I changed the controller the problem was solved. So I thought it was a physical failure (blow).
The system works fine during two days, then I started to change the settings again. The same problem. Here, I put attention of what i was changing. The system start to fail after I changed the wheel size.
I start to check everything, sensors, replace components, reset everything and nothing. Still no power.
Of course I re-setting all combination of ADM and nothing.
I really lost my faith in this and I don't want to buy a new controller.
Please, I need ideas.

jusagred said:
Hi.
I have the same issue.
I brought two kits with 36-48v controller. 48v battery.
I installed one on my bike and everything was OK. When I started to change the settings of ADM display worked fine for a moment but one moment the power was off.
I started to switch the components to detect the problem and when I changed the controller the problem was solved. So I thought it was a physical failure (blow).
The system works fine during two days, then I started to change the settings again. The same problem. Here, I put attention of what i was changing. The system start to fail after I changed the wheel size.
I start to check everything, sensors, replace components, reset everything and nothing. Still no power.
Of course I re-setting all combination of ADM and nothing.
I really lost my faith in this and I don't want to buy a new controller.
Please, I need ideas.

Absolutely identical with what happened to me. I just purchased a nice condition used bike with a 5305 motor and the rest of the stuff that comes with the Electric rider kit and the previous owner had the wheel size set to 26 so I set it to 28 and the next day I went for a ride. Im a bit spacey so after riding about 2 blocks I decided to stop and check to make sure I switched the wheel size, went to take off and really no power. I put the double kickstand down and raised the rear wheel off the ground and it spun a little but really pathetic, not enough to push the bikes weight much less my weight.

I did have a possible secondary issue, with my brake caliper off the bike my wheel wasn't turning as free as it should and Im still testing the wheel but I think it might have been twisted a bit in the dropouts.

Either way that APM is an obvious pain knowing that it is not an isolated incident.

It is quite an old thread, but if it may help people with the same crystalyte APM display "bug" as I found, it's worth sharing.

Crystalyte Controller is 36-48V40A and 25A (EB312-C-2)

Bug : When the controller is set to Assist(PAS), then back to Speed(Throttle), the display shows display mode speed and throttle available "pass", but controller don't power the motor (0 Watts).

It seems that for a reason the crystalyte display can switch the controller easily to Assist mode, but maybe harder to "trick" back to throttle. It seem to have something to do with the lock button which is not needed to switch to assist but needed to come back to speed mode.

The APM is essentially able to program the controller through the typical infineon controller. So if you remove the APM it s setting will still be set in the controller.

In order to find power back :

Press both up and down to get into setting mode
Go down to select speed mode, and then make sure you press once or twice the lock button, firmly and for about one second. Then Wait 10s the display will go back in normal mode.
The APM has reset the Speed mode, throttle does work. However it probably did also reset the Amp limit to 1A, so you have to set that one back to normal as well.
Now fully functionnal. Took me a bunch to find that trick...

Wow, blast from the past!

Thanks for posting that, however, I have long since gone CA.

I had three APM's over the years and all of them failed by water ingress.....

Kudos

Back