Production vs custom e-board

Emoto

10 kW
Im looking at getting a evolve gt bamboo :) , question is would i get a better board buying separate custom parts if so please show me what and where / links .. give me your list of parts ect

Or, you could contact @Psychotiller. Check out this video of his supposed "Evolve Killer".

https://www.facebook.com/DubbleDirka/videos/10208599312914927/

Funny I have an evolve boosted killer video up on YouTube as well. Everyone who does a DIY realizes how much more powerful and faster than the production boards

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2qMn7hgd6mg

If u get a pre made board don't expect to go over 22mph. That's the big draw back. Otherwise they're simpler and sleek looking

From what I gather the Evolve is a pretty good board. Could you build a "better" one? Well for the price you could definitely build a more powerful and faster one - whether it is "better" depends on what your criteria is and how good your skills are.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way but for someone who has posted hundreds of things on this forum and has been here for years that is a strange question - you must have read many, many build threads so must have a pretty good idea of what works and what does not.

Well I think the GT is very sleek... Now for 2000$ including shipping and considering I'd build a board instead of skates ..

I'd make a crazy setup for myself and I doubt it would be less effective than production boards. Original too at this price point.
Man O'War from Jellyboard as base, carbon fiber strengthened with matching colors, 4 hub motors (read LEVer or Hummina motors here), 4 customized VESCs... This or a custom electric 2WD Freeboard and / or shiny wood treated deck just like a guitar.

WeeChumlee said:
From what I gather the Evolve is a pretty good board. Could you build a "better" one? Well for the price you could definitely build a more powerful and faster one - whether it is "better" depends on what your criteria is and how good your skills are.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way but for someone who has posted hundreds of things on this forum and has been here for years that is a strange question - you must have read many, many build threads so must have a pretty good idea of what works and what does not.
Yeah im not new to endless sphere.. but i am new to eskate boards and this section so not a strange question at all...'' You presume to much'' , Always good to get a kick start from help full experienced members .

Thanks for the links fellas ill take a look , ive been busy researching quite a bit since ive posted, and right now ill prob go a gt bamboo , not bad at all for the money and nice little readout on remote, also the ;;i want it now'' :D is driving my descision.
But if its half as much fun as i think, ill do a custom for sure.

I am a horrible skateboarder. I always wanted to learn as a kid but never did. I cant even "regular skate" down the street very well... yet I can surf, wakeboard, snowboard, etc... Its the kicking that throws me off. so a electric board works fine for me. I step on and pull the trigger, it starts moving and Im fine... except I cant stop well.

Good Production boards for the most part.. just work. no belt mis-alignments. no fiddling. etc... but they're slow. As much as I prefer building things, a used boosted board is the direction I went for regular "keep in the car" use. I cant go fast, because I suck at riding. lol.

DIY custom boards will be more of what you want... deck style, truck width, wheelsize, battery capacity, speed and torque.. all exactly what you buy.... However you usually buy better quality items so the cost is a wash. Depending on how you do your motors, you might have belt issues initially. (they're finicky to setup) You can build one dead reliable, but it takes time.

Because the cost is a wash, if you have never ridden an eboard before or are new to skateboarding, I would buy a used electric board first... then if you like it you can get a better idea of what you want. For me, I found that the board is good for when I park a mile from where I need to go downtown... but when I am out for some electric fun, I prefer the bike or scooter. they both go 40+mph, turn and stop much better. As cool as skateboards are, they're more for me to watch than do.

Good story Dude, Two funny things i found out about evolve they sell spares but they dont sell motor pulleys [ 15 t for gt ] these will wear out quickest , not sure how common wear is on a esk8 motor pully .
I was also considering a carbon gt but there is a much longer waiting list, looks sexy.. main advantage is larger batt, but hardly any deck flex so im thinking the ride should be much smother on the gt bamboo street.

while my first board certainly wasnt better than my evolve, I started to refine and refine and refine - grew really addicted to this hobby and with every board I accomplished something else. by now, production boards are for me too many compromises. stance, concave, flex level, trucks, maneuverability, electronics and how they behave, wheels, range, top speed, its inferior in all regards, even reliability. I commute daily with my boards, at least during the 7-8 nice months of the year, manage 2-3000km per year and never had a breakdown of anything but some belts.

my most beloved board is a flex 2 vanguard single motor with 45kph topspeed, 48km range & cast ronin trucks. there isnt a single production board that comes close to this in any regard. :)

whitepony going through your builds now , that Loaded Vanguard is very tidy ive done a bit of vacuuming [ not in the house type ] you have to go the extra mile for a clean build but rewarding.
I started to look at a carbon gt but no deck flex, i have to decide between carbon or bamboo , how important is flex to ride comfort soaking up vibrations ect, im imagining its a major factor.

if you want tidy, the jet spud is probably my best achievement when it comes to craftmanship - I finally learnt how to use a router by then. :p

I love flex, not only does it dampen vibrations from bad roads and sidewalks, but its also awesome to play with when you carve. basically you push outwards with your legs when you carve, compress the board and store a lot of energy in the wood/gfk in that moment. then, just when you are about to change direction/side and the board crosses the middle, you decompress your legs, the board decompresses and returns all the eneryg that you stored in the board, everything becomes super light and your wheel might actually lose traction in that moment because you barely touch the board with your feet anymore and the board barely touches the road anymore.

its what I love most about carving with an oldschool camber boardX / raceboard: basically you just draw a perfect half circle with your boards edge and when you switch, you use the energy of your compressed board to jump up a little into the air so that each half circle you drew into the snow has a 2m segment without any visible edge marks. its the perfect border marks imo, but most people dont even know how to carve properly nowadays .... just freestyle skidded turns all over the place pfft :p

Thanks for that info , real important for me atm , so ill order a bamboo tomorrow :D i can see in the future ill do a custom , if i was to do a torque-y twin motor build what would be your pick of motors / vesc , i would want 2x sk 6374 as a minimum . what is the next jump in size of motors from 6374s that people use commonly with good results .

Back