Ultimate BBSHD Grin Phase Runner FOC 3000W

Are you using the CA3 throttle, or your own throttle with the CA3 in "legacy mode" to monitor temps, speed, watts and amps? If using the CA throttle, how smooth have you been able to get it? I currently have a CA3/ Lyen/ LR3000 watt and I have pretty much given up on trying to get smooth throttle response.

In a previous post by Matador there was mention of a metal gear? Is that something you have under development?

I'm using my own throttle in Legacy mode, my controller has a CA analyst plug already so you can already use it to monitor watts, amps, and temp. The temp sensor plug is merely adapted from the BBSHDs hall sensor harness. With sinewave controllers I just leave the throttle in pass thru mode I don't touch any of the throttle settings as sinewave controllers are naturally smooth. It is impossible to get a Lyen controller smooth as it is a square wave controller

Unholy amounts of power, RPM, and torque. Very smooth.

[youtube]UTO-Q5SSLZc[/youtube]

I'm sure that this Phase Runner could be fitted in the original BBSHD controller aluminium bolt-on encasing... If it could only be compatible with the Bafang PAS system and the Bafang speedometer, break inhibitors, gearshift sensor and throttle controller :roll: that would be the perfect solution... clean, almost factory look, yet 50A for high tork and a lot higher voltage than the 60 volts HVC (72 volts nominal, if not higher on the Phase Runner) for increased top speed ! :wink: I wish !

As I have an extra BBS02 kicking around what are your thoughts about running an external controller and higher voltage?

As long as you monitor temperatures you'll be OK. The BBS02 runs hotter than the BBSHD and is much more prone to melting the nylon gear. I melted three in my BBS02s. I have abused my BBSHDs much more with no problems of any kind.

The BBS02 phase connectors are the same as the later BBSHDs (not andersons) and the hall plug is the same, so if you buy a controller from Electricrt it should be simple plug and play.

sather said:
As long as you monitor temperatures you'll be OK. The BBS02 runs hotter than the BBSHD and is much more prone to melting the nylon gear. I melted three in my BBS02s. I have abused my BBSHDs much more with no problems of any kind.

The BBS02 phase connectors are the same as the later BBSHDs (not andersons) and the hall plug is the same, so if you buy a controller from Electricrt it should be simple plug and play.

Thanks for the info!

It looks like a 74V 50A Grin Phase Runner FOC Sinewave controller is being use on his later mod.

Which controller would you recommend?

hie2kolob said:
sather said:

Thanks for the info!

It looks like a 74V 50A Grin Phase Runner FOC Sinewave controller is being use on his later mod.

Which controller would you recommend?

Grin Phase runner is a very nice controller, probably the best suited for the BBSHD overall. I'm hitting 30mph on the biggest 3 cogs, and Im running a 9 speed. I off road so I never need the other gears. Very smooth, excellent acceleration.

I have no idea which controller is better for you. The Electricrt controller claims to be "plug and play". No wire splicing or programming, just plug in and go. Obviously, the Phaserunner is much smaller, more stealthy, handles 10 more amps and costs twice as much. The Phaserunner is not "plug and play". With the Phaserunner you must splice the hall wires into the BBSHD and the Phaserunner's phase wires come with Andersons which won't work on the later versions of the BBSHD which have round connectors. The Phaserunner must "auto configure" which requires downloading software and for the user to make some educated guessing as to the Kv of the BBSHD.

I was thinking same thing. Evolution did mention it was a pain to setup. Is the phase runner as quiet as the sine wave?

Edit: since evolution set the other controller to be plug n play, he can probably do same for phaserunner?

Probably. At what price? With what throttle? Would you have to purchase a Cycle Analyst 3, pre programmed for the Phaserunner/BBSHD? So many questions.

If one was happy with a top speed of 30mph say on a trail bike with this 88v configuration I am guessing a simple one speed would be the way to go.

I am thinking if you had something like a one to one gearing coming off the BBSHD like a 42/42 the motor would get you to around 30mph (27.5 wheels or fat tire bike) and still have plenty of power to climb the hills even with the one gear. The only draw back is you can forget any pedal input after say 10 mph or so.

If there becomes an easy to instal controller solution the higher volt pack may let a person skip all the hasstle and cost and weight of gearing issues. It may even pay off long term over going high voltage and one speed?

What crank RPMs are you assuming at 88 volts? Bruno measured the BBSHD's no load speed at 180 RPM at 58.8 volts so a linear increase would give approx. 270 RPM without flux weakening.

Thanks for all the info! It looks like it would be best to get a BBSHD if I plan to go this way.

Got PAS working with the CA very smooth and fully adjustable. This applies to the Grin Controller and the Sinewave, however that controller has a effective flux weakening as well

Flux weakening ensures a very high motor RPM, literally 23mph in the Granny Gear.

[youtube]m5ko6zoRWho[/youtube]

[youtube]ZDv785xZIQ[/youtube]

[youtube]q6fEzUgysxs[/youtube]

So from the video i can see the full throttle no load power consumption with the wheel off the ground is about 1000w at 72v with the FOC phaserunner ? what gear was that ?

Out of interest what is it with this same test at stock 48v ?

Alex07 said:
So from the video i can see the full throttle no load power consumption with the wheel off the ground is about 1000w at 72v with the FOC phaserunner ? what gear was that ?

Out of interest what is it with this same test at stock 48v ?

1000W at full throttle is because of field weakening which forces the motor to run at a higher RPM, with flux weakening disabled it pulls about 110W no load but less RPMs of course. I will be doing tests on 48V today stay tuned.

And yes that's 20mph+ on 72V granny gear.
I have PAS limited to 1000W and it doesn't kick in until you pedal past 40RPM at the crank.

Again PAS is fully programmable to your liking and on the fly via the Cycle Analyst.

I had very strong inkling that the Phaserunner would be tits on the BBSHD. Now that you've confirmed it, I'll have to get one for my Edgerunner. Good stuff, Alan!

E.R.T. Sinewave Controllers are ready, I will have sexy black cases coming soon.

14523057_10207459161813299_6473207846558171334_n.jpg

14907198_10207458764163358_2423259289102013370_n.jpg

14906826_10207458763803349_6463734014928351330_n.jpg

TorEddy said:
Heat shrink tubing instead of zip ties FTW!!

You know it!

BBSHD with Grin Phase Runner Kits is here! Plug and Play setup, pre-tuned.

14639877_10207517274986092_1203484492918875750_n.jpg

WOW Alan...!
This is great!
Was originally thinking of the Adaptto mini-e, but that might quickly change. Just too bad the CA3 is so old school.

Back