Simonk firmware for E-skate board.

june2005

1 mW
Is there anyone who want very cheap ESCs for skate board with airplane ESC?

I started a year ago and have some results on this.

It took almost two month to understand simonk firmware and one month to modify firmware.

I added youtube link.

Simonk firmware only support drag brake.

but with this modification, you can control brake with throttle stick.

ESC in movie clip is Redbrick 70A ESC which was sold in hobbyking and price was lower than $20.

It support 6s li-po battery. so if you are moderate e-skateboard user, you can use this.

NTM5060 motor and SK-5065 motor are tested.

maybe you can imagine proposinal control by listening brake sound

[youtube]_AhHaFR1wWM[/youtube]

arielrossolato said:
Tell us more :)

I added youtube link.

Simonk firmware only support drag brake.

but with this modification, you can control brake with throttle stick.

ESC in movie clip is Redbrick 70A ESC which was sold in hobbyking and price was lower than $20.

It support 6s li-po battery. so if you are moderate e-skateboard user, you can use this.

NTM5060 motor and SK-5065 motor are tested.

maybe you can imagine proposinal control by listening brake sound

[youtube]_AhHaFR1wWM[/youtube]

That's seems amazing. Strong brakes are the only reason budget builds don't use plane esc.

very cool!

How does it work with an actual load (like a human sized one!)? I've had a couple ESC's that seemed to break well until i was on them and then they just gradually slowed down (not fast enough) under full brakes.

How do you adjust braking power (50/60/70%?) and via what? USB programmer or LCD programming card?

Love to have more options - i've used Simonk on old quadcopter for years!

thanks

that's why I started this project.

but there are some cheap car escs lately.

sl33py said:
very cool!

How does it work with an actual load (like a human sized one!)? I've had a couple ESC's that seemed to break well until i was on them and then they just gradually slowed down (not fast enough) under full brakes.

How do you adjust braking power (50/60/70%?) and via what? USB programmer or LCD programming card?

Love to have more options - i've used Simonk on old quadcopter for years!

I have tested for MBS mountain board with 5065 380kv dual motor.

it works well even in the hill. and what I tested was just 70A escs.

for test I didn't implemented options.

I activated braking power to 100% so if user want to reduce braking power, user must change setting of controller.(ex EPA)

these are list that I have tested.

- mistery firedragon 100A
- Redbrick 70A with blue pcb.
- Redbrick 125A with black pcb.
- Redbrick 125A with red pcb.
- hobbyking SS 125A

Notice...

These Escs are cheap escs, so they cannot endure high pulse current.

If you ride skate board midly, you can use thses.

I also tested with MBS mountain board with 5065 380kv motor, ratio is 5:1

I ride 40km(24mile) without rest, and it works until now.

the most valuable thing in this project is we can use high voltage airplain escs for e-skate board!!!

NyOliver said:
Can you post the test version for others please?

these are my first test in MBS comp mountain board.

I used twin 70A ESCs, 5065 380kv motor, 5s lipo battery.

I can clime most of uphills without burning ESCs.

20141129_194244.jpg

20141129_194444.jpg

20150108_223255.jpg

740_20150110_204241.jpg

740_20150110_212652.jpg

740_20150110_212643.jpg

20150101_174038.jpg

torqueboards said:
Great news.. Glad someone worked on this :)

With the VESC getting much cheaper it makes more sense to spend the added $30-40 bucks.

yes.. you are right.

VESC is getting cheaper.

but if I use Redbrick HV 80A esc, I can run motor with 10s battery and the cost is only $50.

Excellent work! Great for value builds.

Will you share the modified source code?

ignas said:
Excellent work! Great for value builds.

Will you share the modified source code?

If you want, i can share.

My email address is yj04.choi@gmail.com

Your work is awesome, I have a Danish friend who wants to build himself a DIY board for commuting to his high school on a reasonable budget and he is amazed at how cheap plane ESCs can be!

hi, i've sent you an email 20 days ago asking for the firmware and i haven't received anything yet.

If possible, can you upload it to mega or mediafire or a hosting and post the link? i'm very interested...

thanks

Not that I can see,

However, Simonk does support Car signals, braking and reverse.

Forward and reverse commutation supported, including RC-car style reverse-neutral-forward PWM ranges, with optional braking

https://github.com/sim-/tgy

Here's a 6s Esc for $10, which could be suitable for a penny board, going under 10 or 15 miles an hour,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__58266__Flycolor_30_Amp_Multi_rotor_ESC_2_6S_Opto.html

600w, continuous is not a small tiny amount of power, and of course if you had two of them and two motors, 15 miles an hour and hills should be possible, for a budget.

Electric skateboards basically do use RC motors. This ESC offers a max speed of 25 mph on HyperOutdoor skate Boards. You may need to buy a remote for this ESC. Buy the MR30 adaptor to make this ESC compatible they've got the price down about as far as possible.

Back