Ultimate BBSHD Grin Phase Runner FOC 3000W

Amazing! Alan, couple questions. How loud is the motor between these two controllers? And how smooth is the throttle? I would assume the sine wave would be better.

Edit: didn't realize the phase runner was sine wave also. Still have same questions above though. Thanks.

drew12345 said:
Amazing! Alan, couple questions. How loud is the motor between these two controllers? And how smooth is the throttle? I would assume the sine wave would be better.

Edit: didn't realize the phase runner was sine wave also. Still have same questions above though. Thanks.

They are both quiet but the Phase Runner has a RC motor sound to it which is cool but it is still relatively quiet. Phase runner has a smoother throttle response with the other controller much more wheelie prone although phase runner will wheelie during steep hill climbs.

Sinewave is superior to the square wave controllers in terms of response and power.

[youtube]v-xosFCx5KU[/youtube]

So the quieter controller has more power? Or is it just a matter of how and where in the rpm range the power is delivered? Would it be possible to hear them back to back in a short video?

I am going to boost my BBSHD one way or another........ :lol:

Turns out I wasn't getting full throttle, Its fixed now. Now, its finally getting the power it deserves

*Edit

Turns out there's a hidden feature in the software that by default limits power to 2000W time to crank it up!

[youtube]4L-f42AAkIA[/youtube]

Apparently the phase runner is limited to 2000W by default, I managed to get 3000W out of it. Holy balls, this is no joke. I broke the chain ring and snapped the chain!

15032090_10207543020389711_697701465654926514_n.jpg

15032303_10207543020469713_4173317173002449974_n.jpg

New Chain Ring and Chain and I'm go to go again.

14938327_10207544884996325_2567245507812030278_n.jpg

Ready to rip!

[youtube]0a-ESYKpeQQ[/youtube]

I have a question about batteries to feed something like this: can I connect a pair of 52v Luna PF shark packs in series to make a nominal 104v, actually nearly 120v, pack. I assume I could lower amperage in the controller to limit power to 2200w or so........? I have a FS fatbike that has no room for a triangle pack, but currently has a pair of sharks installed that I use as separate "tanks" that would be my first choice to upgrade out of legality.

WoodlandHills said:
I have a question about batteries to feed something like this: can I connect a pair of 52v Luna PF shark packs in series to make a nominal 104v, actually nearly 120v, pack. I assume I could lower amperage in the controller to limit power to 2200w or so........? I have a FS fatbike that has no room for a triangle pack, but currently has a pair of sharks installed that I use as separate "tanks" that would be my first choice to upgrade out of legality.

Technically you can but the controller's voltage limits are 90V for the Phase and 100V for the ERT Sinewave.

The capacitors are rated up to 100V only any more would likely cause them to pop.

evolutiongts said:
WoodlandHills said:

Technically you can but the controller's voltage limits are 90V for the Phase and 100V for the ERT Sinewave.

The capacitors are rated up to 100V only any more would likely cause them to pop.

So a pair of 36's or 48's would be more like it? I am trying to find a way to get a high voltage system w/o building my own pack. In fact, I'd prefer to stay within the Luna-verse since I have had zero failures or issues using their batteries. I suppose I could just get 48v packs and keep the charge under 100v total, but that would mean using them as singles once in a while after balance charging to bring them back down below 50v. Ideally a pair of 36v Sharks would be almost plug and play, plus give 72+ volts.

Or just look for a controller that can handle the voltage: do you sell one?

WoodlandHills said:
In fact, I'd prefer to stay within the Luna-verse since I have had zero failures or issues using their batteries. ?

Hmm.. I was just going to suggest that you buy their 72V battery but I noticed it's not listed on their site anymore. I wonder what happened. The BBSHD is just dreamy on 72volts.

I have been watching, but nothing has been in stock in 72v for a while. Did they ever make/sell a 72v shark pack or is it too small? I suppose I could go with a long narrow rectangle pack instead.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It looks pretty tight in there. The phase runner is pretty small. It could pretty much fit anywhere, possible even in that space where you remove the old controller between the cranks and the BBSHD.

Have you considered a backpack battery? I just recently converted to it and I think I like it better for single track trail riding.

I have been thinking of making a 6s4p pack to run in series with my 14s4p 52v shark pack.
You could make it a small triangle pack, and place it over the BBSHD, under the downtube.

That thing looks crazy. Seems like the chain is the weak link (pun?). With a single speed, it wouldn't be too hard to use a motorcycle or go kart chain.

drew12345 said:
Anyone on here buy one yet? Thinking of phase runner because its compact.

My first batch of phase runners are shipping out these week will be eager for feedback. My sinewave controllers have been well received for their strong performance and smoothness.

WoodlandHills said:
I have been watching, but nothing has been in stock in 72v for a while. Did they ever make/sell a 72v shark pack or is it too small? I suppose I could go with a long narrow rectangle pack instead.
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

HI Woodland HIlls,

we have them in stock so since you are local you can come pick one up....

we just cant ship half our stock now until we finish UN 38.3 compliance testing on each and every pack....

you can think the tools at ebike-kit.com, lectracycles and em3ev for that one.

Hooking up the temperature sensor to the CA3/bus is absolutely essential because temperatures can quickly climb above 100C if the motor rpms are not kept up.

Thanks sather. Can u show pic of where you connect from controller to bbshd? Did u leave controller off or drill through cover?

I didn't want to ruin the stock controller in case I decide to sell the BBSHD in the future. I made a cover out of 1/2" thick dense foam to seal out the mud and water. You can see the wires coming out the top. Sorry about all the mud.

Attachments

• ert1.JPG
    ert1.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 4,125
That kit would really be complete if it came with a 3D printed cover to cover and waterproof the connections.

Wow, lots of cool stuff showing up for options on this drive.
I am keeping my fingers crossed for someone one day making some decent frames that will let you spin the motor up into the front triangle. I think there is a market for such a frame specifically for these drives but I guess that would be a topic for a whole new thread.........wayne

Back