The first and BEST Qulbix Raptor mid-drive build!

McKitterick said:
Matt, that is such crazy-gorgeous-wild engineering and design - kudos to you! Looks great and like it'll be a blast to ride.

I have a question for a problem I just had with mine that maybe you've already figured out. Seems like you're running power from the motors through your reduction setup directly to the left-rear gear, while retaining a derailleur setup on the right side for pedaling under your own power. I've just installed the 6000-watt kit from Tangent on a traditional downhill bike. On its maiden voyage, when I reached half-throttle, the motor ripped the chain right off the gears, nearly taking my leg off: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84683

I'm thinking of swapping over to a belt drive, but your comment that you've never dropped a chain makes me reconsider. With a single-side drivetrain like mine, do you recommend sticking with a chain (but going with the thicker one you use and maybe special gears?)? Have you tried belt drives and compared for high-power applications like this?

Thanks!
Chris

Derailer systems have a finite power limit before the chain skips. That is why run left side drive. For high power, left side single ratio drive is the way to go.

I am not a fan of belts for high torque, low RPM use. Chains are stronger for a given width (generally speaking). Belts are best for high RPM, low torque applications such as the motor to jackshaft.

Matt

Sorry for the late reply.

Nope, the bike is not wired yet. I have been doing a bunch of preparation stuff. Here is the situation;

The motors in the pictures are 6 turn wye 3220s. These are not the motors for this bike. The motors it will receive are 3 turn. Those 3 turn motors are in other projects (my winch is one of them). So, I needed to remove the 3 turn motors from the other projects, then remove these 6 turn motors from the Raptor. Then I needed to convert the 6 turn wye motors into delta termination (time consuming pain in the butt) and install those motors into their respective locations. After that I need to prep the 3 turn motors for this twin drive. All that needed to be done before this build can move forward. Also, once I took the winch apart to extract the 3 turn motor for this bike, I took that opportunity to do some important work on the winch. On top of all that, I have a substancial OEM project build I have been in negotiations regarding. That took a bit of my time. That OEM project also required reorganizing my entire shop.

So, yes this bike is still progressing. But, I have alot on my plate that is nothing to post pictures of, but sure does take up time. :D

Matt

Update:

I finally have something to show.

The bike is mechanically finished. Now I have a huge amount of wiring to do. Today I finished the pedalling components, modified the 3 turn Wye motors, installed them and finished the remaining drive unit details. Though the electric system is not running yet, I was finally able to pedal the bike around. I can tell you it rides really well. It is stable and very nimble. Compared to my Motoped, this thing is petite. The Motoped is very much a motorcycle. This is very much a bicycle in the way it feels and rides. It is far narrower, shorter, and the Q-factor is drastically narrower. It just feels better. It will, also, be about 20 pounds lighter than the Motoped while having 20% more battery capacity.

You can see I spaced the pedal sprocket 1 inch over toward the frame. This was done to compensate for the wider bottom bracket and put the chain in the proper alignment. I thought this would be a weak setup. But, no matter how hard I pedal, it stays straight and true.

Oh, I also modified the lower carbon fiber housing to fit around the cooling fans. I will take a few pictures of that when I have an opportunity.

Matt

Attachments

• griz1.jpg
    griz1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,873
  • griz2.jpg
    griz2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2,873
  • griz3.jpg
    griz3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 2,873
  • griz5.jpg
    griz5.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 2,873
  • griz6.jpg
    griz6.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 2,873
  • griz7.jpg
    griz7.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 2,873
  • griz9.jpg
    griz9.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,873
Looking gooooood.

How do you handle water with the motors being so exposed?

That bike instills both fear, and arousal in me!! :twisted:

Ham said:
Looking gooooood.

How do you handle water with the motors being so exposed?

I don't ride in water. However, I do ride in snow. I have a carbon fiber housing that goes under the drive unit for snow riding. There are pictures of it on a previous page.

Matt

Matt-

Those toothed idlers on the electric drive side... did you make or are they off-the-shelf?

Looks great. I fear the UK mud would find it's way in there and spawn all sorts of Gremlins!

izeman said:
you seem to like the steam punk look. all those rivets :). i'd use black one to mask them.

I could not find black rivets locally. Besides, the silver rivets break up the otherwise very plain look of the bike.

Of course, esthetics are subjective.

Matt

I'd rather not ride in the mud but sadly if i don't it means I'll never get out on it round here

I like they way the bike looks without the motor cover. I just had an electrical panel put in at my shop and
the guy was an artist with the wiring. A pretty wiring job is the bomb. Guys should be creative wiring their ebikes.

motomoto said:
I like they way the bike looks without the motor cover. I just had an electrical panel put in at my shop and
the guy was an artist with the wiring. A pretty wiring job is the bomb. Guys should be creative wiring their ebikes.
I feel the same way. I was into competition car audio years ago. We focused alot of time on wiring.

The cover is only for snow riding.

Matt

Not much to show in the way of pictures. However, I wanted to give a quick update;

Today I spent alot of time on electrical details. I fabricated the throttle and figured out the wiring of the Dominoe throttle (I have never used the Dominoe before), sourced a second controller from another project (I only had one controller available for this build), programmed the controllers, and did some other general wiring. What I have left to make is the primary wiring harness for the pack and the bike is finished. I am trying very hard to take my time on this build and not rush anything. Rather than cut corners for the sake of "Just getting the bike running", I have been more methodical than usual.

I am a few connectors short of what is needed to finish the bike. So, until more XT90s arrive, I will continue handling little details.

Oh, lastly, as a bike built with winter riding in mind, I have a set of LED headlights to install. I have one on another bike and it is wonderful. So, two of them on this bike should be great.

Matt

recumpence said:
Not much to show in the way of pictures. However, I wanted to give a quick update;

Today I spent alot of time on electrical details. I fabricated the throttle and figured out the wiring of the Dominoe throttle (I have never used the Dominoe before), sourced a second controller from another project (I only had one controller available for this build), programmed the controllers, and did some other general wiring. What I have left to make is the primary wiring harness for the pack and the bike is finished. I am trying very hard to take my time on this build and not rush anything. Rather than cut corners for the sake of "Just getting the bike running", I have been more methodical than usual.

I am a few connectors short of what is needed to finish the bike. So, until more XT90s arrive, I will continue handling little details.

Oh, lastly, as a bike built with winter riding in mind, I have a set of LED headlights to install. I have one on another bike and it is wonderful. So, two of them on this bike should be great.

Matt

What lights are you using?

ElectricGod said:
recumpence said:

Matt

What lights are you using?

No name ebay LED headlights. I will post a picture when I can.

Matt

Back