JP spot welder

riba2233 said:
Ok, just please be patient and don't ask me when it's going to happen, because I don't know at this moment! :)

Great! Patiently waiting!

riba2233 wrote:
Ok, just please be patient and don't ask me when it's going to happen, because I don't know at this moment! :)

Please Let me know too
Thanks
Panaigiotis

I want to replace the wire attached to my probes. Would anyone know if this is easily done or how I could do it, or should I consider buying new probes?

Anyone know where I would buy such probes?

Thanks

You can buy similar probes from china, sukko (bad) or from sunstone (expensive, around 400 USD).

Cables are crimped, so mostly impossible to replace...

If you want, I can make you probes with extra super flexible silicone cable for 110 USD shipped. Yeah, that cable is wildly expensive! :x

riba2233 said:
You can buy similar probes from china, sukko (bad) or from sunstone (expensive, around 400 USD).

Cables are crimped, so mostly impossible to replace...

If you want, I can make you probes with extra super flexible silicone cable for 110 USD shipped. Yeah, that cable is wildly expensive! :x

So happy to hear from you here, ,:) have not been following thread due to other priorities, but just wanted to say riba has made an amazing contribution and to ask all be patient.
Had plans myself to sell just a small batch of 8 welders, designed by Riba, but things came up . I fully understand how difficult it is to manufacture and sell a product.. At any qty low or mass production.
Soon...

I guess the one riba is designing now will have cool features like a digital adjust for pulse time, flexible cables, better fet / gate management, more safety with avalanche current like diodes, more safety features like a malfunction won't allow current to probes without hitting foot pedal, etc.

I guess the ones we have will do the job, but the new ones will be better and need less modification.

As above, wow can't believe this could actually be an option again.

Fantastic riba, great to see you posting again, really pleased for you, good man!!..

Super cool!!...

Wow people calm down a bit :lol:

I don't know how you came to this conclusion, but there wont be new welder revision. I will only offer DIY welder kits until I cleat my supplies and that's all! But not yet, I will announce when I'm ready (they will be available with no waiting).

I did have plans though, but then life came in the middle lol :p

That was the best assembly video I've seen so far, step by step. 8 FETs for switching on and off, and one giant audio capacitor for energy accumulation (as big as a tall can of soda).

I wonder how that welder times the pulses, or does it just dump the whole power of the capacitor each time.

I just wanted to add that it isn't all that hard to build one of these spot welders as you see in the video. If you want to use it with a battery, they have someone who programmed an Arduino nano to control the pulse time.

The software and programing is on the internet and you can download it and even see the code. You can easily download it via USB to the Arduino.

This means you can buy a $13 dollar Arduino nano, match up the pins to control the gate, the schematics are online, and use that to control the gates. The nice thing about the Arduino is that it can control an LED display so you can see the number you set your pulse time to.

Any of us with the JP welder can easily match the pins and use the Arduino nano to control the pulse time and also use it to attach a digital display of what the welding pulse time is set to.

I soldered up my own pcb board from advweb
http://avdweb.nl/tech-tips/spot-welder.html
the guys in the EU somewhere. Netherlands perhaps.

I have been getting very good welds with this welding set up using two car batteries in parallel. A 50aH and a 67aH. I got the 50aH for about £10 second hand and the 67aH I bought new from eBay for about £40 including delivery.

I can weld 0.2mm nickel easily and could probably weld nickel thicker than this as well. I have also been able to weld nickel to stainless steel and also to titanium (had some old titanium scissors I tested it on). It cannot weld nickel to aluminium but then, I don't need it to do that anyway.

I found best results are obtained with the pulse adjustment set about half way. If set too high, you just end up blowing a hole right through the nickel.

Welds are very good.

This is a brilliant example of good engineering and keeping things simple. Other bonus is that if you blow a FET (I haven't managed it yet), it would be easy to replace.

Very good work by Riba. I hope you are feeling much better these days :)

Here are some photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lucasimo/albums/72157677014611293

Personally, I would use less power for your welds
What you can see here is metal that is teared apart so what we actually have here is limited contact between the weld itself and nickel material.

Attachments

• weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 4,001
Good point. I have since got a bit better at it. Welds are very strong. I did a pull test and it was very hard to pull apart. In fact, when the test nickel tab came off it left itself behind on the battery. None of the test welds when pulled apart actually broke on the weld. Rather, the nickel strip itself was ripped. Only way to remove weld was to gently use a Dremel on the battery end.

Offroader said:
I just wanted to add that it isn't all that hard to build one of these spot welders as you see in the video. If you want to use it with a battery, they have someone who programmed an Arduino nano to control the pulse time.
Yup it's all there but my original works great and some of us haven't embraced or gained the skills you call easy.

Is anyone building the original here? Or a person that is plug and play. I get so tired of using my Mac to struggle through stuff and another Windoze upgrade is, well, more than I want to spend.

EDIT GOOGLE FAIL FOUND THIS "Install the Arduino Software (IDE) on OS X"

Anything odd ir that I need to know using OS X?

ANYONE BUILDING THE ORIGINAL JP/RIBA?

I've been following this thread and others for years....cannot believe no one has turned this into a business yet......I've been wanting one of these for a long time now. SMH! :cry:

fortisi876 said:
I've been following this thread and others for years....cannot believe no one has turned this into a business yet......I've been wanting one of these for a long time now. SMH! :cry:

checkout the arduino tab welder post. Its pretty sweet for under $100.

Offroader said:

The software and programing is on the internet and you can download it and even see the code. You can easily download it via USB to the Arduino.

This means you can buy a $13 dollar Arduino nano, match up the pins to control the gate, the schematics are online, and use that to control the gates. The nice thing about the Arduino is that it can control an LED display so you can see the number you set your pulse time to.

Any of us with the JP welder can easily match the pins and use the Arduino nano to control the pulse time and also use it to attach a digital display of what the welding pulse time is set to.

This is a great idea!
My JP Welder is working great but I like the accuracy of the Nano's digital display and besides, it is a great weekend project.
If anyone has already done it, please share any suggestions/ideas or pics.

Thanks!

fortisi876 said:

See this thread below. I bought one and I'm very happy with it. Based on JP welder, but much improved.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81274&start=75

Back