Solar Muscle Electric Project - possible goal: Suntrip 2018

The video of the winner was impressive, I've been trying to decide where to put my solar panel on my recumbent bike, maybe overhead is a better option than I had thought. Thanks for sharing that video, it gave me some ideas.

Good luck with your build, do you have motor/batteries and so on picked out yet?

I looked as closely as I could at the winner, there is no hub motor on it at all, front or rear, it must be running on a mid drive. Each drive system is extra weight to carry so I can see why a mid drive could be the way to go.

He does use a guy system to keep his solar array in place, I managed to grab this shot from one of the videos, you can see one of the guy wires piercing the fairing at upper right. He has by far the most solar array and one of the lowest drag setups of all the competitors, it's not a surprise that he won the competition.

solar_challenge_1_small.jpg

Hi,

like your idea and I'm waiting for updates. Thought about participating in the 2017 race, too, but girlfriend has little motivation and it would take almost all of my 2017 holiday days.

You know that there are technical rules for Thesuntrip races?

http://thesuntrip.com/technical-informations/

----

I want to built a solar trailer in 2017, too...

If you use Sunpower cells be preperad for micro cracks.

This is a new(!) semi flexible module with Sunpower cells viewed under IR. electrical parameters ars still ok. You can not see anything with the normal eye.

I use a cheap modified Sony R717 camera for that pictures...

I strongly suggest testing your cells and modules for micro cracks...

gwbuv4hf.jpg

Jonathan in Hiram said:
I looked as closely as I could at the winner, there is no hub motor on it at all, front or rear, it must be running on a mid drive.

There is a modified "hub motor" below the pedals. It's used as a mid drive.

Cephalotus said:
If you use Sunpower cells be preperad for micro cracks.

This is a new(!) semi flexible module with Sunpower cells viewed under IR. electrical parameters ars still ok. You can not see anything with the normal eye.
If Usertogo's look like that, I guess that might explain the "Scrap" notation on the box label?

usertogo said:
Very exciting to have received the front direct drive hub motor for 60 to 96V!
First time ever I might try running a higher voltage motor on a lower battery supply.
By rules of the competition you are only allowed a 48V system - building a 14s I hope that counts...

Just keep in mind a motor wound for a certain speed at 96V will only reach half that speed at 48v.

Back