My next e-bike build - BBSHD with hydraulic IGH

Great project Tor, looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. I love the IGH with the removable shell. Never knew about this hub, it looks like a clever idea. I hope the IGH turns out to be a good one. Good luck on the journey I am sure your bike will be awesome!..........wayne

Thanx wayne.. I love the build process almost as much as the riding:)
The IGH is a prototype, so its expected to have some minor issues, but I hope the production model that comes out in 2017 will be flawless and withstand the BBSHD torque.
Just installed a new set of Shimano Saint disk brakes that should provide plenty of stopping power..
Cut and soldered the display wire harness and the speed sensor for internal cable routing.. looks nice.
Also ordered the LMX type thumb throttle.. seems to be the best one as far as I can find.

Tried to order the Maxxis Minion DHR PLUS size tyre (2,8) but it's not released until March:-(
Things are coming together slowly..

Mündawg said that a 14s4p pack will limit the BBSHD power due to voltage sag when drained with 7.5A pr cell.
Maybe squeezing 14s5p (70 cells) into the new Hailong Jumbo pack (65 cells) would be a great idea? Wouldn't want anything to limit my power!!!
jumbo_shark-12__95850.1474966870.1280.1280__74491.1481269288.500.659.jpg

http://luna-mate.com/52v-panasonic-...ndard-3-amp-charger-included/?setCurrencyId=1
I think that pack should fit my frame just fine..
Or is it asking for trouble hanging 70 cells under my downtube in a Chinese plastic pack in very rough terrain? 56 cells in a modified battery case works great..!

Where'd you get that sweet carbon fiber battery mount? Is that custom? Very nice and looks very secure.

Although yeah that placement is still a bit precarious because if you hit a log or anything, that thin plastic won't actually protect your precious battery. The bigger concern I would have is just with gravity - one good slam and that thing might come loose.

WebEsquire said:
Where'd you get that sweet carbon fiber battery mount? Is that custom? Very nice and looks very secure.

Although yeah that placement is still a bit precarious because if you hit a log or anything, that thin plastic won't actually protect your precious battery. The bigger concern I would have is just with gravity - one good slam and that thing might come loose.

That carbon fiber is just a thin sheet from a auto shop, glued on there, to hide the ugly cast ribbon underside.

The battery placement is prone to water and rocks, but in my experience it's only small rocks from the tire, not big enough to hurt the battery casing. If this was a problem, I would glue a thin sheet of carbon fiber on the casing for protection.
Regarding gravity forces when riding offroad, I secure the battery with a tight Velcro strap around the battery and downtube. You don't want that battery to come off.

This mount has worked fine so far, but soon i'm receiving the luna jumbo pack with 14 more cells. I think I will do this mod again, and with the Velcro strap, I feel it's a secure solution.

I mounted my shark pack on the bottom great but when I bought jumbo shark and mounted same place my front wheel hit the shark pack. I have a v10 with a fox 40. I have to go back to slim shark. Good luck to you.

Any news on the shark pack? I'm thinking of rebuilding my jumbo so I can use it.

Things are progressing slowly as I'm actually happy with the range/weight of my current standard shark pack.

I have 3d printed a rubberish adapter plate between the jumbo shark pack and the 50 mm frame tube.
Just need to make holes in the cradle and adapter plate for the hose clamps now..

6krKtVfVddAiFK0EoJrgHRd7kBvwtzqEsZSo7VaLAyQQ59hcCxJezLN_d5yUE9NkuasZwvHBhqLvoifLk7MI_JqMChtoaE8v3RWYYkqtu5L42646VZonc0iIbQkVkZ3dJFEHUGJhJDL1JcFUK9B2cN25fpmUwbUkUkkvVqYtbxbDmwtrsMFOo5VxTl83K92FbVmn_haVbA5lRYLMANbLYbC-sMWyZj0-bVmdbFkJrEob8_ddmTpAw87EID-gCWU_B0QHHpy-3zt2PgGyOBFZpjoHqE7q2RY-L20OmdiDIHyCDjLl6PCOPm74fy8v9nJDQiB8tUdOzssRKdVxh6Rsq3kZv0XHe0gPNbE6EUDncaSJ481SMqLAlcbPr5PXrr0UfcyTc7k2apcyK2eXDgdq_bxc7dvI3WeKVsAT4FelAMM9altjl5KFn_lcHqIf7uRzhZfdASpzuLmRtTC_2nB6KPP4rm9B1ohTw4LfQ8VG3A75Qmk8xy04DpKraUq6-ZhUu3p1MoZlcYfA81MTjIw-VcHy3zONOzSisWpIoLGP807hEhcNAcc3ggd2L1cMQbm9SBEeXztXuFIMCUUfAL3pQ8vjcROg8Wje_jo-bciODeCw_WlAlBQ0urENRrzvZ5-7kmLagtv9xrM_YT4Gh-lbCwjJCfqyZhLm8li2Vs4udks=w1008-h756-no

Io-Xgiw4BdjOHTehYJznQEw7X-sd0pMNieODY8Vb-jc9e1Y4VyJUdDd_xQp81FNU9o--dF0Vs7Fr9BQoQdwt3-AXLN5Y_LNYMFjZeBSInvvtZdA9_8t--UQ4s8zRNIJSnLmQ6OnFXGPVRiI0rVSzC10jb260vfdUxZlXFVRTEErAqy8IhcrwfL8iAdeG5u6Blv4B8Nq632C8HICYpwaJAbuZybu82vjK2BQH7RxN-ATT0Hpw3JUSOodaAaXBCCb7xVlgp8NqqnQUPx3ivtb-aiq8IsSJmMQj1qqPOkWHz1diz_DO3tUPD7ELuVw2lwYiaCbCRSDrHffsV3sQsqk7A-3eHJnt7cQkE-naE72F9yjR2owunPi3zFsDBLJ6tvA9lrw5SoPzh6oPPFEDGi2IRrjBXQqdWjCvXu4CKxhypbejYpHcknnzyo6f7Hof-3dbrYH4aM6kq1-ynXfVXTjhfNhSQViOWaPb0-dUdZdJ5PUcNi2GLVNcdoCEhMI3d-dTloGADJTgj7TEDO66WDADNmH9y49EGIFJz5t81U-XgXo71bGA3TBUjmLo4wAv-6qmER6TTy1w9m6mcN2k8ViHdELwMHYS1CDJ-emVDc409OzHqfVpfbTR3fDZrcC5QoF1Wpu83usuqbnt7qfykPNoZCnycqcLlB__-po6RgdpScA=w1008-h756-no

FdlA-W9a99t-OS9xw1r6uek9r_B-J-1Pkg2Zf238AHFQ8flrAZQe-RH5Anreq1aPTjjXDJb0sfN28JrA3Ku12YgbAh9E4uUneQFxiSZifhYsCssNP_WtiFSs199BM50pZvBxk_JhpEeufE6uXNQc5cDAGeZijFOcoKcyjw-kT9whVgNhl-evJ_sLhQ16EI8Bvc0O6IvAw4045h-b-4b9ithMlp0sX_Vt_jo8jcSDUZjj0AzDoSVritBtIMqIWvBRPvcYmobLV_Jq_udd-y_g1PqGDtEIoR1BGs0O9g8VBgRlU-WprJVXdkGhwHnBwMSkWNCrwDnB7BQih7DH7fawNBOjW-8CuMK4O-9hOHWcL47rpI1CsZcHCyzdIHyy7hL5w1LU-XgtemoVnF4k4Z_9UcLp3TUXaNsYkgGPEPOXGo0OsbyfFi_R4E8lyZSknz-7h-Rkv5LSe8vab06Cp3mlmWD2ONemRu4-rqpdbCQfJF0UtJFkMdhyoQWaKmDQ6SZAZnZkJP_otAPbVyfDxn8FrmCC874QT6htwQ6xmJzjyu75r6BRrzD0XsFXTvfTZhgfhIOJxixf-zgTlAKDWvuq89JW0ZVt2a1Ycz12AIZhiOWNy_OaFtPxd2wiYs_tIY_yD1ck3N4dnxtkSjcRIX4ZCdZGPx0f_0Vcmwy0dA5eSGc=w1008-h350-no

https://goo.gl/photos/8fVTaQWR6DyBXPKq6

Thanks.
I test fitted, but wasn't able to compress the fork enough to see if it would rub.
Just installed plus size (2.8") tires as well.. guess that doesn't help either..

zBiw51XPKCZp7O6kq5R8KK5VNiVzosRyWjVVQnH7rZMmvZQnU-bmgbxLitdU2NO507IB9JcwSM1za31y8LQljHR9JhrLiShGC88WRhCAT5S7zghUuAKuI8ObBZBLKBt2297McSB4uJ5PiqUh793wv3H2u6zJZWsdGOcTf5tFrvyyMrXLGbPEdmqv8FRz87NWFQnfoYk0wKwQVnWTv3png80Id3mPTXMmDmfQB8RKrpttybuPruSW7d9SwYttPFhosEkzkwsdvb_zFSyJ_Ig1G_HnMAvV8Hv4BX-1-_BVK7eNCkohm0h6_II0qBEJTSVdW0v58YLv6VNN50hOu57VZw7OSfzJW4bqDiMCMzIfhf0RLIL8ogQhCek-i4eT4hyGjzBmZb28TO_V7O7h1aMj3Uxi9g4l781aVrrcAsrPZ6hVDMc74lF0oQkIkrGnRMDJ5GrGB-cSLkHM6MkMwaBp_Af9qIV2-qIOSXe1QsRcf8wY-nouVADH2Hl97A5nAXa9q2oQBPSW6m7ONciRnyGPgiC6Lm48UTyY38h6lcK9N9X9g8kmKopaeGmanfhfzrKRIJHE5e0i57GnhxgPKL_ClWWiE96cmbCGPinn-G3iT4e4ZSYIcadJ5Q=w1040-h781-no

I have a good feeling that it will fit just fine.. the frame geometry is forgiving in that way, and the jumbo pack isn't that much thicker.

My main reason now for switching to the jumbo pack, is the built-in power switch, less voltage sag while WOT, and what seems like a more sturdier case.

The PLA is called Cheetah and is really flexible and rubberish.. Grips the frame well, and maybe absorbs some vibration/shocks..
25% infill, as you can see in the video below the pictures.

Thanks.. I put much effort in it to make it as clean as possible!
Regarding the igh.. I ride the last prototype of the igh and have not yet upgraded to the final production version.
Still this version works like a dream, and being able to shift while standstill and under power is great!
No more slapping chain:)

TorEddy said:
Just received the bike from it's hydraulic internal geared hub installation.
14 gears with full 30 gear mtb range, from http://www.kindernay.com

Far out. That seems like a great way to make a NuVinci roller CVT seem super efficient by comparison.

Chalo, have you ridden with one?
Do you think a Nu vinci would do a better job for this application? What are the differences in efficiency between this and a comparable nu vinci model? This seems to weigh 1.4 kg and includes (I think) hub and axle.

Chalo said:
TorEddy said:
Just received the bike from it's hydraulic internal geared hub installation.
14 gears with full 30 gear mtb range, from http://www.kindernay.com

Far out. That seems like a great way to make a NuVinci roller CVT seem super efficient by comparison.

Sorry, but how do you feel the Nu Vinci is more efficient? Input power compared to output power?? Automatic gearing ?
To me the Nu Vinci feels like and oldscool heavy igh with threaded steel axle for commuter bikes.
I wanted an igh as light as possible with 12mm axle to fit my enduro bike, and the Kindernay fits the bill perfectly.

What Nu Vinci igh would you recommend for this setup Chalo?

My point was that the NuVinci up until now was the clear loser among gearhubs from an efficiency standpoint. But then a hydraulic one comes along!

Hydraulic drive works for forklifts and skip loaders because they're not expected to go far or fast. It doesn't get used for road vehicles because it's lossy.

Don't get me wrong; I have a NuVinci hub (super heavy N171) on one of my bikes, and I really enjoy it. But when I ride it, I'm resigned to losing 10% of my effort versus any other transmission in my bikes. I doubt any kind of hydraulic transmission can be made even that efficient, even in a laboratory setting.

Chalo said:
My point was that the NuVinci up until now was the clear loser among gearhubs from an efficiency standpoint. But then a hydraulic one comes along!

Hydraulic drive works for forklifts and skip loaders because they're not expected to go far or fast. It doesn't get used for road vehicles because it's lossy.

Don't get me wrong; I have a NuVinci hub (super heavy N171) on one of my bikes, and I really enjoy it. But when I ride it, I'm resigned to losing 10% of my effort versus any other transmission in my bikes. I doubt any kind of hydraulic transmission can be made even that efficient, even in a laboratory setting.

Ok Chalo, now I see what you mean :shock:
You should take 2 minutes to read the link you are quoting before shooting it down!
It's not the gear reduction that is hydraulic, it's the shifting. Instead of wire, they use hydraulics.
I see the topic could be misleading :D
Rock on :lol:

TorEddy, how do you find the gaps between gears. Do you find it shifts fast. What type of riding do you mainly do. I use 4 gears with a bbshd with a top speed of 50kms. Have liked the look of this Igh since you mentioned it over a year ago. Its a shame Chalo didn't take the time to research it and add some usefull observations.

Mad Matt said:
TorEddy, how do you find the gaps between gears. Do you find it shifts fast. What type of riding do you mainly do. I use 4 gears with a bbshd with a top speed of 50kms. Have liked the look of this Igh since you mentioned it over a year ago. Its a shame Chalo didn't take the time to research it and add some usefull observations.

The spacing between gears is approx twice of a normal 11-32 cassette. I agree you could manage with 4 gears, and since you mention it, I have been in contact with Kindernay (in my neighborhood) about making a 7 gear electric/cargo heavy duty version of the igh, with half the total gear ratio. I think that would be perfect for electric bikes.
The shifting happens instantly, and you get a fine feedback from the gear lever which by the way changes 3 or 4 gears in one push.
I mainly ride off-road on singletracks etc. and hardly ever uses the lower 4 gears. But once on pavement and in maximum attack mode, I use the all the high gears. I just reached 50km/h on hard snow with 'low' pressure 2.8" tires.

Battery box below frame makes sense on certain bikes. Have fitted x70 cells below downtube on this bike with a carbon/kevlar bash cover.

Mad Matt said:
Battery box below frame makes sense on certain bikes. Have fitted x70 cells below downtube on this bike with a carbon/kevlar bash cover.

Agree.. On what bike?

Specialized sx supercross and also a custom build with removable carbon fiber housed battery. Having trouble uploading images from my ph.

Back