Bafang BBSHD, 1000W, 68mm-120mm BB

You can be our guinea pig =) Did you have chainline issues before the Luna Eclipse? 42T is the minimum for that kind of offset (in order to clear the gear housing), so this 36T chainring will probably have the same or similar offset as the Mighty Mini. I guess I shouldn't really mind what my chainline is as long as the chain stays on in all the gears. I wonder if too much slant can cause teeth wear.

I wonder why your chain wasn't happy with the chainring. And you're sure the wide teeth were in the wide slots and the narrow teeth in the narrow slots?

I'm thinking about getting the OneUp 50T cog to go along with the 42T chainring. That will be almost the same as my 42 and 38 setup right now. But if that 36 turns out to be ok, I might want that instead =)

Another alternative is to drop down to 26" wheels from 29". A 42T on a 26" would be the same as a 38T on a 29".

Dogboy1200 said:
robocam said:
Has anyone tried this 36T chainring on the BBSHD?

http://precialps.com/uk/accueil/31-plateau-decale-36-dents-bbshd.html?live_configurator_token=61b1d9c574c5dcbddd1f63d9849834a6&id_shop=1&id_employee=1&theme=theme2&theme_font=#/11-couleur-noir

plateau-decale-36-dents-bbshd.jpg
Wow! That looks sweet. Wonder what the offset is? Think I might have to try one. I'm currently running the Luna eclipse. I had some trouble with it at first. I had to shorten all the teeth a little so it wouldn't suck up my chain.

I just found another option. You could use this Luna spider along with a 38T narrow wide chainring.

http://lunacycle.com/luna-bbshd-130bcd-spider-chainring-adapter/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-L-Narrow-Wide-Road-CX-Bike-Chain-Ring-130MM-BCD-fit-Sram-Shimano-FSA-RACEFACE-/301987760869?var=&hash=item464fdf8ae5:m:mRUy6msK-yWGn_NTQeCjWRg

bbs02_spyder-2__58941.1473996207.1280.1280.jpg

Would be easy to do, albeit better in a 104bcd to suit that drive if thats what people want? Hey Lurkin will you be at Swinburne on Sunday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly likely work and hangover dependent.

Have you come across any Kingmeter J-Lcds in the shed by any chance? I've pretty much given up on the arduino display idea in favour of getting the beta cranking sooner than later. Don't care about condition/looks so long as it still works? 8)

Dogboy1200 said:
Wow! That looks sweet. Wonder what the offset is? Think I might have to try one. I'm currently running the Luna eclipse. I had some trouble with it at first. I had to shorten all the teeth a little so it wouldn't suck up my chain.
There will be a big difference in chainline I believe. AND I've discovered that the Wippermann Connex "eBike" chains don't like to take up on a Narrow Wide chainwheel, no go on Race Face or any of the Luna products with the long teeth. I'm thinking a 36T will fit about like Luna's 30T. Bad chainline on all my bikes.
What chain was the problem for you?

tomjasz said:
Dogboy1200 said:
There will be a big difference in chainline I believe. AND I've discovered that the Wippermann Connex "eBike" chains don't like to take up on a Narrow Wide chainwheel, no go on Race Face or any of the Luna products with the long teeth. I'm thinking a 36T will fit about like Luna's 30T. Bad chainline on all my bikes.
What chain was the problem for you?
It was a KMC ebike chian X9e EPT. I had the chian on it right and everything was ok when it was clean and lubed but the slightest amount of dirt would make it wanna stay in the sprocket and it would get all jammed up between the sprocket and swing arm. I ground a little off each tooth with the bench grinder and that fixed it. I have had maybe 5 chian drops in 500 single track miles. The stock sprocket had the best chian line on my bike. With the eclipse I had to use the spacer, I was leery about this at first but nobody seemed to have any problems from that so I went with it. I think Woodlandhills had the same problem with sucking Chains.

If you search eBay, you'll find many spiders available in 104, 110, and 130 BCD sizes (search BBS01 chainring adapter).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/California-Ebike-BA-110-Chaqinring-adapter-for-Bafang-BBS01-02-mid-drive-/122121029438?hash=item1c6efb073e:g:wG8AAOSw-kdX0IGF

Lurkin said:
Pity they aren't making those for BBS01/02... very nice.

The chainline might be too skewed with a 104BCD.

Samd said:
Would be easy to do, albeit better in a 104bcd to suit that drive if thats what people want?

I have and own a number already.

However the Luna one has an offset to it whereas the ones I have are exactly as you have linked to- cut from a flat piece of metal. Not ideal, doesn't fix things if the chainline is out, which is why I replaced it with an expensive, but super functional, Lekkie Ring.

The flat ones offset by the chainwheel sitting internal.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Couldn't you offset the chainring by using chainring spacers?

Lurkin said:
I have and own a number already.

However the Luna one has an offset to it whereas the ones I have are exactly as you have linked to- cut from a flat piece of metal. Not ideal, doesn't fix things if the chainline is out, which is why I replaced it with an expensive, but super functional, Lekkie Ring.

There was a spacer provided with the adapter which makes the adapter protrude out from the motor unit, creating a gap for the chainring.

But this means the chainring will be where the original one was, rather than actually offsetting over the motor unit itself. The Lekkie actually puts the chain ring teeth in over the unit, the flat cut out adapter with spacer to allow it to work, does not. Hence the flat adapter allows a narrow wide to be used, but doesn't actually fix the problem I have - the chainline is out due to using a frame with 73mm BB. The Lekkie corrects this error as the Bafang BBS01 Gen 1 unit is designed to be used with a 68mm BB and is narrow wide. Win.

The Luna adapter is interesting because it looks like it will hang over the motor unit, exactly as a Lekkie ring does and will also allow the use of cheaper narrow wide rings. The offset over the motor is why it is interesting to me, rather than just the ability to use a narrow wide.

The Luna spacer is optional. If you don't use it, the Luna Eclipse provides an even greater offset than the Lekkie.

With a flat adapter, you can still make it hang over by using chainring spacers. You would place the spacers on the spider before you mount the chainring. Wouldn't that be the same as the Luna adapter?

I wish there was an affordable mid drive like this one where the chainrings are on the inside so that the chainline isn't messed up.

http://www.bikeebike.com/

Lurkin said:
There was a spacer provided with the adapter which makes the adapter protrude out from the motor unit, creating a gap for the chainring.

But this means the chainring will be where the original one was, rather than actually offsetting over the motor unit itself. The Lekkie actually puts the chain ring teeth in over the unit, the flat cut out adapter with spacer to allow it to work, does not. Hence the flat adapter allows a narrow wide to be used, but doesn't actually fix the problem I have - the chainline is out due to using a frame with 73mm BB. The Lekkie corrects this error as the Bafang BBS01 Gen 1 unit is designed to be used with a 68mm BB and is narrow wide. Win.

The Luna adapter is interesting because it looks like it will hang over the motor unit, exactly as a Lekkie ring does and will also allow the use of cheaper narrow wide rings. The offset over the motor is why it is interesting to me, rather than just the ability to use a narrow wide.

Looks like California Ebike also has one available.

SKU005-004-1.png

http://california-ebike.com/product/bafang-bbshd-chainring-adapter-hd130/

EDIT: Don't go by the picture of the chaining measurements below!!! Since I made this post I have found out that the measurements in the Luna video were wrong. If you go to the Luna knowledge base they have new measurements. Even though they still measure in an odd way, it's not perfect but probably +/- 1mm to 2mm accuracy

robocam said:
Looks like California Ebike also has one available.

SKU005-004-1.png

http://california-ebike.com/product/bafang-bbshd-chainring-adapter-hd130/

And Lunacycle.com has 2 chainring adapters available.

Luna does a youtube video where they measure from the faceplate(inside the chainring) to the outside of the inset or offset, whatever is best way to describe it. But they don't include the California Ebike chainring adapter, which I think has just about 1mm more inset than the Bafang Alloy chaingring adapter. So I think its amount of inset would be between the Bafang Alloy Chainring Adapter and the Lekkie:

chainring1.PNG

Here is a thread on modifying a BBSHD controller:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83778&p=1239980#p1239980
Ebikes4Real states: "The standard BBSHD controller is fitted with pretty low end mosfets from the factory (P75NF...). Not the same IRFB3077 as come fitted in the 750W BBS02."
:?: :?: :?:
3077 mosfets are rated at 210amps and P75NF mosfets are rated at 80 amps.

The software in the BBSHD will cut off power if the voltage gets above 60V. 14s is really the max.

I was watching an EBR interview with Chris of Lectric cycles on you tube. He showed new Lekkie 34 tooth and 36 tooth chainrings for the BBSHD. I went on Lekkies website and I couldn't find them??? They are not on Lectric Cycles site either.

Coming to many soon, but they will have a chainline like the 30T. Once below maybe 40 there's no room for deeper offset if I'm measuring correctly. A alternative 30T would be nice. Especially without the narrow wide teethe so higher quality Connex eBike chains could be used. I see someone else got that surprise on electricbike.

Remember narrow wide rings won't run some Connex chains.

Is that the same offset as the Lekkie?

sly74 said:
If you would like improve your torque and keep a good speed the chainring 36T is a good compromise but the chainline is not perfect.
With this chainring the offset is 8mm

Example of mounting the Bafang BBSHD on a Santacruz V10 with a chainring 42T "narrow wide"

Back