10S custom skate ESC: testers wanted!

Hey ES, where is everyone ?! seems this is a dead zone !!! a shame that it went like that for the E-Skateboards area, especially because the opportunity was given to moderators to bring more structure here, where it all started... seems the train has been missed.

=> Jacob fixed it, you can all download from his website.

Yes, has gone a bit quieter which is a pity.
On the "other" forum though I must say I find so much petty crap, blatant marketing and very long and silly threads with people discussing (mostly electrical) things of which they have zero knowledge but quite an opinion. Quite amusing sometimes - bit like reading a tabloid "newspaper", it has the very same feel to me.
But hey, everyone to their own. :D

You are so right :(
Some of the guys from ''the other forum'' definitely gonna die with their e-boards. If they don't do riding them they'll do while charging-.-

Ty^^ but i have some problems with urethane slipping, on my new design this isnt a problem anymore but i need some cnc parts made first :D

WeeChumlee said:
Yes, has gone a bit quieter which is a pity.
On the "other" forum though I must say I find so much petty crap, blatant marketing and very long and silly threads with people discussing (mostly electrical) things of which they have zero knowledge but quite an opinion. Quite amusing sometimes - bit like reading a tabloid "newspaper", it has the very same feel to me.
But hey, everyone to their own. :D

I would agree, it seems the questioners have moved there hence all the threads and inability to answer correctly. But whatever, we all like some trash talk big talk sometimes.

I'm seeing some VESC's pop up in recommended products in several of my sources, what's the deal with these ones? Are they in any way related to people on here, or is it china being china? Has anyone used/tore one apart and checked the build quality?

Hi There,
I just bought a reflow oven to try soldering my VESC.
Do you have experience with stencils ? metal or plastic ?
Is OSHstencil reliable ? What kind of files do I have to send them ?

Any other source of stencils for the VESC ?

Thanks for your help !
Akira

akiraEC said:
Nobody to help me ? :oops:
OSHstencil are OK, I used plastic stencil, but now they have metal ones that are not that expensive. I would go with the metal one. You can download files from here https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/ztyE14yF and upload them to OSHstencil.

Guys hi im new to the forum, j learned about thise thread through the resources link at http://vesc.net.au/resources/

Im building my first electric board and its using a vesc and the 83mm hub motors...im excited but a little fearful.

So far im going to use a 12s setup of 3 4s16000ma in series.

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. I have the vesc 4.12 and im trying to learn the BLDC tool to optimize the way the motor works.

Hi Ralhy
Holy smoke, is that a skateboard or a mountain board?
12S 16AH is a pretty large battery so I am presuming MTB.
Do you have any specific questions as I am sure many would help but would require a direct question or it all becomes very vague.

WeeChumlee said:
Hi Ralhy
Holy smoke, is that a skateboard or a mountain board?
12S 16AH is a pretty large battery so I am presuming MTB.
Do you have any specific questions as I am sure many would help but would require a direct question or it all becomes very vague.

Its a skateboard my first one. I just wanted to learn a little more about the BLDM and its settings. Ive heard there are different modes like FOC that change the performace and sound.

So far ive seen these series of videos. https://youtu.be/EkqrZTeoQuk

Any insight that could help is appreciated

Hi Ralphy
I personally have only used the VESC in BLDC mode and not FOC.
FOC is apparently much quieter but I have seen so many horror stories, particularly with people using 12S, of driver chips going pop that I never even bothered about trying.
The standard settings shown in the videos are all you need, there are many other setting for the gurus but I have left them at default except for current, breaking and voltage.
Works fine for me like that.

Any particular reason you are going with such a huge battery? Sure, range will be great but at such a weight cost.

WeeChumlee said:
Hi Ralphy
I personally have only used the VESC in BLDC mode and not FOC.
FOC is apparently much quieter but I have seen so many horror stories, particularly with people using 12S, of driver chips going pop that I never even bothered about trying.
The standard settings shown in the videos are all you need, there are many other setting for the gurus but I have left them at default except for current, breaking and voltage.
Works fine for me like that.

Any particular reason you are going with such a huge battery? Sure, range will be great but at such a weight cost.

Ok cool ill stay away from Foc for now and stick to the BLDC. So I dont have to flash any firmware right. Just install BLDC and plug in via usb.

The 12s setup was said to be the most efficient and i had some spare 4s 16000 lipos from a drone expirement. At 1300 grams at piece i figured 50v and 16,000 mah could get me some sweet range. My goal is a 30 mile range.

If you are making the VESC yourself then yes, you will have to flash the thing first or you will not be able to connect with the USB.
I personally have not done this so cannot help you there I'm afraid.
Yup, you will get the range, just hope you never have to actually carry the thing. (And aesthetics plays a part too)

WeeChumlee said:
If you are making the VESC yourself then yes, you will have to flash the thing first or you will not be able to connect with the USB.
I personally have not done this so cannot help you there I'm afraid.
Yup, you will get the range, just hope you never have to actually carry the thing. (And aesthetics plays a part too)

So i rode it and its way tooo fast and the control is super sensitive. Motor also gets really hot. The tire spun off the motor alignment rails. I tried connecting bldc and i get some restrictive old firmware warning message. Any idea how to get some better firmware to customize the settings to make the motor run better?

Found this link but i cant find the firmware .bin file https://github.com/vedderb/bldc

Update: 9.21.16

Motor is fried after 2 days of use. Pulled it apart and these windings look like they were done by hand by some kind of unskilled worker. Is anyone else running these Asian motors MP83???
Horrible experience

OLD FIRMWARE Capture.JPG

KIMG0822small.jpg

silviasol said:
Are the gerber files and stuff out yet for the vesc 6 or is he still working on it?

Not yet, there's an ETA Vedder will make it available during Q1 2017. Considering the first time the VESC was shown before released in a format for this community to use, I give about the last two weeks of February to mid March though I might be wrong.

chuttney1 said:
silviasol said:
Are the gerber files and stuff out yet for the vesc 6 or is he still working on it?

Not yet, there's an ETA Vedder will make it available during Q1 2017. Considering the first time the VESC was shown before released in a format for this community to use, I give about the last two weeks of February to mid March though I might be wrong.

Fingers crossed by then so I can get one made for spring. He said something about the heatsink he used, will there be a way to have that manufactured also?

Back